ETIQUETTE AT THE CAP?

The basic rule though is to avoid collision at all cost. Plus the "Giving Way" vs "Right Of Way" rule. Marine law goes back a long way. You know some are going to abide by that and s0me just don't know what to do either way.

Lots of hypocritical advice being passed out by pros out there--I will say that because I used to do it too.

Basically what it comes down to is, the boats with the MOST control on the flood tide get to stick it to everyone else--they get on a position and course...and f everyone else. It works best this way as you can stay on the most productive troll and stay in the zone long enough.

If you want to be a good sport about everything... troll east in 105 or more feet of water towards the bridge....then swing your turn in the deep and then make good for a short or long troll west in the 80-105 depth contours. Drop the balls to the bottom, speed up to raise a little off the bottom.. Move forward over ground at a decent clip so you are making headway.

The Cap used to be 15-25 boats tops when the end of the Quinsam Reds were there.. and the whites returned later and longer and tended to be heartier. Enhancement went with the whites. With that many boats, you could troll both ways on your line of choice and dodge left when someone trolling east wanted to slip past you when the tide was slow in the shallow depths and most people got along fine. After the Cohos vanished, the moochers anchored in 30-65 feet moved out deeper to catch the Chinooks. Power mooching with herring live or cut used to be popular. That started to push the rigger guys out deeper and when the number of fish increased, so did the trollers and white Chinooks became the flavour to savour for a cheap quick trip.

The Cap in September and October is also a manufactured fishery. It makes people money. It is now a required show for economics for the local sport fishing industry.

I would love if they would take some Quinsam, Big and Little Q. stock and use that at the Cap. The fishery would have long been over already but damn...much more fun.

I won't fish it unless I can go on a weekday and even still this time of year I would rather chill out and sturgeon fish.

It was the first place I ever went Vancouver saltwater salmon fishing in my new to me boat 10 years ago. I had a hand crank Scotty with a 5lb ball and on the other rod a trolling weight and spoon. Spinning reels on both rods. Went on a Saturday, whole family on the boat. Let out the trolling weight way too far behind the boat and a big chum smashes it. Boats everywhere and current pushing me about. Desperate to land the fish, boat going in a circle, kids screaming and other boats way too close. By some miracle we have it boat side and then a massive shape smashes the fish 5 feet from the boat and sounds to the bottom - sealed. Kids crying (disappointed and scared). Then the rod on the hand crank goes off. Small pink we somehow landed. Excitement! Reset the trolling weight and spoon and got a nice coho but in the excitement got pushed in way too tight and the 5lb ball gets snagged. Almost took out a guy rowing in an inflatable and bent the hand crank. It's still in my garage as memory of that day.

Most guys around us were not catching anything, you could see the incredulous look on their faces as this total newb, a menace to all other boaters and fishermen, is getting into fish. Much to the relief of everybody at the Cap we left after an hour, very pleased with our coho and pink.

I put in a full day a few weeks ago fishing the cap and it was classic boat mayhem. Had one boat on outside do a 180 and merge right infront of me. Several doing different speeds with some trolling slower than 2 mph. So when no boats are around you can give way either side but you try to do right to shore.

One boat got fish on and cut power and stopped to fight the fish. Not something i would of done but then with the excitement i can see you have to watch out for stray boats fighting fish.

Any how i think prime cap fishing was right around sept 20. I went a couple weeks ago and wasnt peek coho fishing as i remember it. Springs being caught but was hard fishing.

Also there is definitely a certain etiquette but I don’t think anyone’s has mentioned that giving the larger boats a little extra room or the benefit of the doubt once in a while doesn’t hurt either. Big boats like to do an inside pass here and there aswell. When ur in a 35 footer and some goof in a tinner is waving u down it’s a bit of a joke. Takes very little effort for him to scoot out for a sec.
HEAR HEAR! :p

The 8 guys in the thundercraft trolling at full throttle through the pack on Friday was hilarious. Looked like an f1 qualifying hot lap.

The other thing that makes folks end up in weird formations at the cap is how the sand bars are inconsistent so boats not equipped with nav get caught surprised when gear is bashing bottom suddenly. Oh and that crab trap off the ambleside totem poles is precarious if you're trying to scrape the shore Saw 2 guys foul on that pos.

When ur in a 35 footer and some goof in a tinner is waving u down it’s a bit of a joke. Takes very little effort for him to scoot out for a sec.
Can't figure out if you are saying he/she is a goof because they are in a tinner and should be in a 35 footer or because they are waving their arm at a "great big boat" skippered by someone who think they own the ocean,,,,,, but thanks for providing your thought process. Knowing now how it's suppose to work, I will give way to anything bigger than me and run over those who are not. Learn something new everyday.

Ya that’s exactly what I meant... having been someone who has grown up on the water we’ve all been in small boats and in big boats. Sometimes I’m out in a friends skiff sometimes I’m out with my old man in a “yacht”. I don’t follow one strict guideline regardless of what I’m in. I most definitely change my thought pattern and my biting of the tongue based on what vessel I’m in. It’s not hard to get along we’re all jus there to catch some fish, this isn’t ICBC with a strict rule book. If I’m in a small boat and a big boat with twins trolling off a single is passing inside it’s very easy for me to give a wide berth and a wave rather than follow the “STRICT CODE”. Get real bud. If u don’t relate u haven’t spent enough time on the water. It’s called courtesy

My Oh MY,,, Get Real--Twice.

I love being told off by someone who points out that they have a big boat and that they grew up and spent a lifetime on the water in boats of all sizes. I hope your comments and attitude are not indicative of all the sporties that have big boat with the big twins on the back and the 30years experience on the water.

What I'd like to get across to you and others who feel as you do is that on any given day with 30, 50 or 150 boats, you will have a mixture of boats sizes and experiences. You will have boats going with the current and against the current and in both directions across the current. In those boat you will have folks born on the water like you and folks that are having their first crack at fishing with their new boat or in one they just rented from the closest marina and then there's everyone else in between. I've learned this much in my lowly 5 yrs as a sporty so to think that you, having spent your lifetime on the water haven't got this all figured out yet is perplexing to me. We've all been cut off by boats big and small and many of us, willing to admit it or not, have pushed the limits of Etiquette but **** happens, especially with you squeeze many boats with operators of different experiences into the "hot spots". Deal with it and get over it. Chill

Try weaving through a pack of arrogant smaller boats in a 30+ footer with some kids and family just trying to catch some fish to have one or two assholes tell you off because they couldn’t turn to port a few degrees for 10 SECONDS. Get real.

I would think that this would be a small task for someone with a big butt 30+ footer, with big butt twins on the back and skippered by someone who grew up on the water.

Have you ever thought about sending out a "security" message over your VHF to inform the "arrogant smaller boats" that you are on the water and you grew up on the water and you are the one with the Big 30+footer, with the big twins on the back and you will be following a certain tack with no intentions of alternating course so could they PLEASE alter their course to "port a few degrees for 10 SECONDS".

My Friend, I wish you safe travels and good fishing and as you say we are all just trying to have fun and catch fish. I'd be willing to bet that 99.9 % of the things that **** you and other people off was never done with any bad intensions by the arrogant small boaters.

Admin--My apologizes for my rant and for calling out someone on the forum with more experience than me, especially when it's a topic on Etiquette. Fell free to suspend my write privileges but sometimes you just need to ask some folks to give their heads a shake and reshuffle their marbles.

Try weaving through a pack of arrogant smaller boats in a 30+ footer with some kids and family just trying to catch some fish to have one or two assholes tell you off because they couldn’t turn to port a few degrees for 10 SECONDS. Get real.
Hmmm, as someone who HAS spent their life on the water, and has fished the cap many times in a "larger" boat (33' sailboat no less) - i call ******** - if you can't navigate safely with other boats, maybe it's time you learn how to actually operate the vessel correctly - or go play somewhere else where you can get all that open water you obviously need

If a 30+ footer dips in for an inside pass right rod to rocks and 5 year all star is coming at him in a 18foot whaler the smaller boat has every reason etiquette or rules of the water to get the f#ck out of the way. That is all I’m saying. It doesn’t happen like that nearly as much as it should and too many boats and inexperience is way I don’t fish there. Other parts of BC such as where I mentioned above there is no room for error and things go quite well quite consistently. It’s a **** show down here so like I said in my first post were all here to catch fish and have fun. Try giving the bigger boats some room.

Based on these comments, you are either "trolling" for a reaction, or really do believe a 30' is restricted in her ability to maneuver - so you either need to get out of your parents basement more and leave the keyboard alone, or actually get out on the water and get some experience - better yet take a boating coarse and actually learn all about the Collision Regulations (and how big vs small isn't actually a give way condition).

I don't have a horse in this race, But over here in tight quarters it all boils down to trolling etiquette and respect for all the other fisherman. If your in a big boat that is hard to maneuver around other boats, Wait your turn and slide in line. If your a small boat that maneuvers easy, Do your best to help the bigger boat get his shot at the spot.

I don't have a horse in this race, But over here in tight quarters it all boils down to trolling etiquette and respect for all the other fisherman. If your in a big boat that is hard to maneuver around other boats, Wait your turn and slide in line. If your a small boat that maneuvers easy, Do your best to help the bigger boat get his shot at the spot.

Seems pretty easy, doesn’t it. There’s almost always one donkey in the fleet, I try to educate them and often they don’t know the drill and are thankful for pointing it out. Lots of newbies fishing in popular spots they read about online and need to learn some etiquette. Sometimes they’re just jerks which can result in an exchange of salty language. Hahaha

Back