Essential tools

alumaman

im putting together a tool kit to carry on the boat. I'd like to know what tools and pars are essential for an outboard and should be on board at all times. I'll carry a prop wrench, spare prop, test light, fuses, screwdrivers, socket set, wrenches etc....what's missing?

I always bring a

Downriggers belt
Downriggers counter
Boat fuel filter
Engine oil
spark plugs
When I change my impeller I keep the old one for a spare
I bring wire stripper/connector tool and some connectors
I just bring a medium size tool kit with assorted tools.
Also a hammer
Roll of electrical tape
Zap straps

I'm sure I'm missing a few things

Multi meter can be a grate tool for all kinds of things. I find a 1/4 drive socket set to be best for most jobs and it comes in a small box for storage. Also some fuel line hose clamps can be handy.

For your prop. I would have the nut, locking washer, cotter pin, everything you need just incase you drop somthing.

Common sizes of nuts and bolts 1/4" 5/16" 3/8" or metric if that what your motor is.

Small roll of " Ford repair wire" same stuff for your teaser heads.

I picked up a jobmate toolbox at cantire for 260$. Has everything and then some. Plus a bunch of electrical wire, shrinktube, belts, hoses, filters, prettymuch a spare of everything. But my boats 24' and has lots of storage.

I picked up a jobmate toolbox at cantire for 260$. Has everything and then some. Plus a bunch of electrical wire, shrinktube, belts, hoses, filters, prettymuch a spare of everything. But my boats 24' and has lots of storage.
Thats the problem, there's not much storage in my boat.

I am a minimalist when it comes to tools l cary on board my tiller operated 16ft boat. For the engines l carry one spark plug for each, c/w spark plug tool that incorporates a screwdriver. I change each engines fuel filter at the beginning if the season, if they fill with water, I just drain them, I have never had one plug with dirt, gas stations filter their fuel before it gets pumped. I have extra fuses for both motors and extras for the electonics tie wrapped under the engine cover in plastic bags where they stay dry. I keep a stainless multi tool in the tackle box. My pliers and fishing knives do double duty. I run separate fuel tanks for each engine, that can be used on either should the need arise. I used to carry a spare prop, but no longer do, one experience changing a prop on the water was enough, I now rely on having an extra engine.
For the downriggers I carry a spare belt, as the cannonballs show up on the sonar, l do not carry a spare counter.
For the boat, everthing required by law, hand held VHF, 200ft of 3/8 braided rope, canned water, fero rod, waterproof matches, cheap cdn tyre tarp.
Please keep in mind that I do not fish off shore, or out of sight of land. I have never been stranded overnight because of a breakdown, but have had to spend the night ashore because of weather.

Some things others may not have mentioned. I have lots of storage space in a 22 foot boat.

Duct tape, grease gun, Seal-All (seals fuel leaks), Marine Goop, dielectric grease, silicon grease, Sea Foam (will sometimes clean up a missing sputtering cranky motor), Liquid electrical tape, Hydraulic steering fluid and small funnel, WD40, silicon tape – both types for both fuel (yellow) and water (white) fittings, spare fuel line, spare primer bulb, spare light bulbs and fuses.

For the Riggers, in addition to what others have mentioned, a spare male and female electrical plug.

The very first thing I get for any new engine is the factory shop manual and it is always aboard.

Tools list similar to what most have mentioned. You can keep things compact on a few counts: get a small socket set for the boat, not really any point in 1/2" drive for outboards and they take up a lot of space and weight. Likewise for wrenches, just carry the few that your boat requires. A good quality multi-bit screwdriver - I like the PicQuic because of its 3" long magnetic bits that fit in holes in the handle - is more compact and lighter than a set of drivers. You do need a good collection of consumables that your boat uses: fuses, electrical tape, wire connectors, cable ties, oil, filters, hose clamps. Just carry the multi-box that takes up space and costs you money for items you won't use because they're not on your boat. Simply taking the time to figure out what you need is very worthwhile, it means you're digging around under the hood and thinking about maintenance and where stuff is located. A roll of shop towels is much appreciated, oily hands of course but also great for defogging windshield.

I fit everything into a medium size rubbermaid tote. It's easy to move around if it's in the way because I'm a bit light on storage too. For longer trips I carry a spare starter and solenoid. Starter is heavy but it's easy to change and a fairly common fail point especially for older engines.

Back