esperenza inlet and area

B

brad

I am going to the area for the first time this year. Mid August We have a boat that will go offshore. How far is the highway and is there good bottom fishing close to shore??

quote:Originally posted by brad

I am going to the area for the first time this year. Mid August We have a boat that will go offshore. How far is the highway and is there good bottom fishing close to shore??

Look on your chart for a rock named "Low Rock"
It is the last bit of 'land' as you leave Esperanza Inlet near Catala Island on the North side of the inlet.

From there, you will be going out anywhere from 4 to 12 miles. Look for other boats grouped up in the open water.

As a general rule head out until your depth finder reads 180' to 240' and you are in the ballpark.

Watch the other boats for signs of fish being caught. When you get a bite, mark it on your gps. I use a different symbol for each day so I can tell the fresh marks from the older ones, and you will notice over the season that the area of activity changes.

There are some decent spots inside for bottomfish, but I prefer not to fish them as they get hit heavily. The only time you will see me in there is if it is too rough to get off-shore.

Check your charts for rockpiles off-shore - there are some big Lingcod out there if you can locate them.

For an outrageous fee, I'm available to guide on your boat and will show you everything you need to know to find and catch fish in Esperanza and surrounding area.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by brad

Brad, if you aren’t catching your salmon limits in the first half of August, hiring Jim would be a very good idea! “Offshore” finding the “Highway” and fish is the easy part – knowing how to catch, is a tad bit harder! A few years back (2007) my group was bringing in our limits everyday… I watched another not bring in a fish for three days. His setup was “all” wrong for the area – as we were talking he didn’t understand why we were catching fish and he wasn’t. I offered some advice and his comment to me was he had fished springs for years and knew what he was doing, it wasn’t his setup? I watched him blank for the rest of the week.

Go get the chart CA3604. On that chart, it will show and you will see “white” and “blue” water… the Highway is where the “white” and “blue” come together “IN” to the surf line! In 2005/2006/2007 the fish were closer to 3-5 miles off the whistle buoy, in 2008 they came in closer to 2-3 miles. Look for your tide lines (scum lines/trash lines– whatever you want to call it), feeding birds, floating kelp, sea weed trash, logs, etc, all that, is good… find that and you “will” find the fish. Don’t fish for salmon in the white areas… they don’t like that nice clear water!

I agree with Jim, inside... leave the bottom fish alone - they get hit hard, plus by August - Not much size anyway, better offshore. Halibut in August, I would be looking for those humps. They can be picked up all over, but if you really want to target them, I would be heading for Tatchu Point area.

NootkaIsland-1.jpg

I just made it! Using MapSource. :D

The really neat thing... I can print them out with "all" my waypoints for the different areas, zoomed in!!

NOAA is online, but Canada charts I haven't found any good site, so I make the ones I want. It is legal for "personal use" cannot be used for commercial, without authorization... and have to be marked, "Not for Navigation"!

Back