Espar Diesel Heater

The little through hull fitting is quite expensive but the muffler heat wrap isn't too bad. You will need some muffler cement as well.

He said the were two fittings I would need for the marine install and that they would include for me. One being the sea fitting.

Can't wait for it to show up.... Already sold my big buddy heater

Fish assassin,
I've only have the lowly buss heater but closing the cabin , being warm when fishing and watching all those guys dressed up like "nanook of the North" going by...... PRICELESS! Now you have to perfect the art of standing in the door way to play the fish cause it's too much hassle to put on your jacket!

Fish assassin,
I've only have the lowly buss heater but closing the cabin , being warm when fishing and watching all those guys dressed up like "nanook of the North" going by...... PRICELESS! Now you have to perfect the art of standing in the door way to play the fish cause it's too much hassle to put on your jacket!

I know the feeling..... I have a full enclosure and propane heat already. I've been out in a T-Shirt on sub zero days joking back and forth who is going to have to deal with the next fish. :)

or out fishing in a snow storm with no other warriors around. Its kind of nice

No way will you catch me in a open boat wearing a floater suit and ski googles drinking coffee thinking its freaking wonderful...... Others may but not me :)

Not sure about the Espar but my Webasto spits out quite a bit of heat through the exhaust port. Enough to burn yourself. Keep that in mind when you determine where you what it to exit. Mine is on the port side so if I starboard tied to a wharf it is on the other side. You might want to consider where your fenders hang down too.
You mentioned about vent placement and I would have at least one down near your feet.
It will be really nice though. Great heat output

Had the D2 for several years now. Burns Kerosene from a 1 gallon plastic jug-espar part I believe--sometimes you can get the 20 litre size from Can Tire. One vent on dash and one lower in front of legs--both adjustable...works great with the digital thermostat. Once its maintaining the temp it uses hardly any fuel. Only smell some exhaust when it fires up--and it smells like Jet-B exhaust as a bonus:)

Burr.. a heater would be good this morning out there -1 , guess it would work if I had a drop curtain like FA, pretty big investment for a 17' boat think I will just wear my mustang integrity suit and bring a thermos of coffee or tea :cool:

Mine is only stinky when it is starting up and shutting down. Other wise you don't really smell it and if you do it smell like exhaust from a jet engine which I actually love.

I see your unit has the new digital thermostat. SWEET. Mine has run perfect every since I replaced my analog thermostat with the new one and you can read and clear your faults with that unit as well.

You will not regret your purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is now winter season 3 for me with the Espar D2. It has performed flawlessly, throws out a lot of heat and sips diesel. The first two seasons one tank lasted the year and this winter I have used the boat more so I will probably burn a tank and a half. In a 27 Grady, I installed one vent at foot level in the cuddy, one at foot level in the cockpit and thought about installing a third at the windshield for defogging but chose not to. I had it third party installed in Vancouver ... definitely not trying to promote the individual's services but the individual seems to very happily answer people's ongoing maintenance questions for all Espar Heaters in the following forum thread, regardless of where the inquiry comes from, http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?385497-HELP-with-Espar-heaters/page11. A good resource to bookmark for Espar owners.

"Three days and it's here :) going to try to install tomorrow"

Curious to know how that works? Haha

I didn't think it was too bad took about 6 hours. Measure twice cut once with those big hole saws. Lol
4d4239a67a330664b4f9596858b0bc3d.jpg
0b383def83b6495f06b4166fe9501b0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any questions seems like lots of guys on here have installed them including myself.

How did you add a second vent? You buy a y tube? I can't find a 2" splitter

How come you dont have a pig tail coil on your exhaust elbow?

How did you seal your thru haul exhaust tube?

The kit came with a y fitting and 2 adjustable vents. The thur hull fitting comes with thick silicon rubber gaskets. The pig tail really depends on how your exhaust run works out and if you get much condensation in the exhaust my install never had any drips out of the pig tail so I removed it too make the shelf below the heater more useable. The y fitting and both of the vents in my kit are branded Espar should be able too buy them from any Espar dealer.

IMO if you do a 2 vent system like I did you want the floor vent too be 360 adjustable so you can point it up at the windows when you need defrost. As in my system I only have one dash vent on the helm side. Also the dash vent should be able too be adjusted for direction and also be able too be turned off so once the windows are cleared you can put all the heat too the floor vent. I recommend the factory Espar vents they work very well and have proven to be durable.

Back