Entry level ocean boat

Lundy McTinner

Hello,

recently got into Salmon fishing in Sooke BC. Absolutely love it! My son and I go out in our 12ft lund when the weather is good. Would like to upgrade to a more stable boat. Anyone who has any good tips on finding a good used boat under 20k. Send me the links or pictures if you have one for sale! Preferably under 19ft with outboard and kicker.

thanks

Generalization, but boats are usually about 15-20% cheaper on the mainland. Lots to choose from on the island but the folks there seem to think ferrying a boat over is worth a lot of money.

Generalization, but boats are usually about 15-20% cheaper on the mainland. Lots to choose from on the island but the folks there seem to think ferrying a boat over is worth a lot of money.
Thank you! I have been looking on craigslist Vancouver and UsedVancouver. Would you have any other suggestions?

Good start, Craigslist Vamcouver has had a strong boats section for a long time. I've found several items there even though I'm in the Okanagan. I would also take a look at Facebook Marketplace. It has huge viewership so it gets a lot of listings, but you'll have to sort through a lot of junk. Search terms will help filter some of it out but FB allows advertisers to pay.to boost their listings, so some of them push through the filters.

Good start, Craigslist Vamcouver has had a strong boats section for a long time. I've found several items there even though I'm in the Okanagan. I would also take a look at Facebook Marketplace. It has huge viewership so it gets a lot of listings, but you'll have to sort through a lot of junk. Search terms will help filter some of it out but FB allows advertisers to pay.to boost their listings, so some of them push through the filters.
Great! Thanks for your help. Cant wait to get out there again!

I would keep an eye open for a 17-18.5 Double eagle. Craigslist, usednanaimo/victoria and fb marketplace and of course on here would be your best bet.

I would keep an eye open for a 17-18.5 Double eagle. Craigslist, usednanaimo/victoria and fb marketplace and of course on here would be your best bet.
Great Tip. I have been on the hunt. This size is perfect for entry level. Amazing how much you can get done in a 12ft Lund. Great way to learn the gear and get out there

We keep a 14 ft tinnie at the cabin, for quick trips i don't bother towing my boat from the Okanagan. Small boats are great for teaching you the discipline of keeping everything organized.

Get something with the newest Yamaha OB you can - lot's of boats for sale because they need a new engine. Most boats have wood as reinforcement & this wood will rot over time. Some Aluminum boats will not have wood in them.

I would look for a 16' or 17' Arima. It may require some patience, but you should be able to find one with good 4 stroke power within your budget.

I was in the same position as you this May with a lower budget, went for an older K&C 18.ft it was much loved and hulls in good shape, it has 2016 Mercury115hp and 9.9hp motors which ran perfect. Reliable power was my main want. Did everything we asked of it, we will eventually upgrade to a cuddly or cabin but this will do for 3-5 years while I save for the 30k boat. Gotta move fast on a good boat as the good ones around 15k go quick it seems.5036C577-29D6-4769-9F7E-4623C224411C.jpeg

As many said biggest thing in your budget will be to find a nice motor. Older hull can be ok if its in good shape. I had a 16.7ft double eagle and it was a great boat to start and I got it for under 10k with 2016 yamaha F50 and sold it when it was time to upgrade for about the same price.

I fish Victoria/Constance bank and decided to go for new aluminum so this year I upgraded to a Silver Streak 18ft Carmanah.

My double eagle sold in a day so once you know what you want and see it come up don't wait too long to go check it out with deposit in hand. I had 4 or 5 people who wanted the boat but it was gone super fast. Still had inquires for it even after marked "Sold". For Sooke I would defiantly get something with a top so you can fish in rain. See you out there on the water sometime ;)

Hey all, long time lurker and didn't want to open a new thread so i figured I'd post here.

Dad and I bought a 15.5 ft Campion, more of a lake boat with no v hull t to start getting out there. Were thinking of upgrading now to more of a fishing boat, nothing bigger than a 18 footer, budget under $15k with a good motor.

Were in Vancouver, and would want to head up the Indian Arm and out to Sandheads furthest for fishing. Likely 3 people max, looking for a versatile boat that we could take on the lake as well or out with friends.

Is the Double Eagle a good bet? I'm seeing some on the market but most have old motors... Also, is there a big difference between a 16ft double eagle or 18 ft? Just looking at the rental companies...they have 16-17 foot Hourstons.

Also, hard top or soft top (bimini?) Opinions?

Any other boats I should be looking for in my price range? One for reference, 17.6 Double Eagle, '93 motor for $11k.

Thanks!

Lots of people trying to unload their junk right now. I'm fearful of getting something with hidden damage. ie. rotten stringers. How can you tell? I can't put a lot of value on an old two stroke.

+1 on trying to find an Arima, You should be able to get into a 17 Sea Ranger or Chaser with reasonable 4 Stroke power in the high teens low 20's
You wont regret it.

CR Greg

17 ft Double Eagle is a great platform if you can find one. Does everything you would want well, stable, smooth ride in rougher water and can be used to pull skiers at the lake if the kids want to have some fun. Key thing is they hold their value and always in demand when and if you decide to go bigger one day.

Lots of people trying to unload their junk right now. I'm fearful of getting something with hidden damage. ie. rotten stringers. How can you tell? I can't put a lot of value on an old two stroke.
You *might* be able to persuade a seller to let you take some transom cores with a drill. Procedure:
- Remove a couple of screws from the aluminum angle trim most glass boats have on the top of the transom
- use a cordless drill with a long 1/8" bit to drill down into the transom. Be careful to direct the bit down the centreline of the transom.
- Have someone capture the process on video.
- catch and study the wood shavings ejected by the drill bit. Dark, damp or powdery are signs of rot. Light, dry and flaky are what you're looking for.
- replace screws using a dab of clear caulk

Suitable drill bits are called installer bits, you can usually find them 12" long, even 16" if you're lucky.

The Malibu posted in the buy and sell section looks to be a very well put together and maintained rig ! Pricing is good too given the times.. I dont have any dog in this fight but if I were looking for a boat, I would definitely be looking at that one.

CRGreg

Back