Entry level ocean boat

Lundy McTinner

Hello,

recently got into Salmon fishing in Sooke BC. Absolutely love it! My son and I go out in our 12ft lund when the weather is good. Would like to upgrade to a more stable boat. Anyone who has any good tips on finding a good used boat under 20k. Send me the links or pictures if you have one for sale! Preferably under 19ft with outboard and kicker.

thanks

sly_karma

Generalization, but boats are usually about 15-20% cheaper on the mainland. Lots to choose from on the island but the folks there seem to think ferrying a boat over is worth a lot of money.

Lundy McTinner

Generalization, but boats are usually about 15-20% cheaper on the mainland. Lots to choose from on the island but the folks there seem to think ferrying a boat over is worth a lot of money.
Thank you! I have been looking on craigslist Vancouver and UsedVancouver. Would you have any other suggestions?

sly_karma

Good start, Craigslist Vamcouver has had a strong boats section for a long time. I've found several items there even though I'm in the Okanagan. I would also take a look at Facebook Marketplace. It has huge viewership so it gets a lot of listings, but you'll have to sort through a lot of junk. Search terms will help filter some of it out but FB allows advertisers to pay.to boost their listings, so some of them push through the filters.

Lundy McTinner

Good start, Craigslist Vamcouver has had a strong boats section for a long time. I've found several items there even though I'm in the Okanagan. I would also take a look at Facebook Marketplace. It has huge viewership so it gets a lot of listings, but you'll have to sort through a lot of junk. Search terms will help filter some of it out but FB allows advertisers to pay.to boost their listings, so some of them push through the filters.
Great! Thanks for your help. Cant wait to get out there again!

Unreel

I would keep an eye open for a 17-18.5 Double eagle. Craigslist, usednanaimo/victoria and fb marketplace and of course on here would be your best bet.

Lundy McTinner

I would keep an eye open for a 17-18.5 Double eagle. Craigslist, usednanaimo/victoria and fb marketplace and of course on here would be your best bet.
Great Tip. I have been on the hunt. This size is perfect for entry level. Amazing how much you can get done in a 12ft Lund. Great way to learn the gear and get out there

sly_karma

We keep a 14 ft tinnie at the cabin, for quick trips i don't bother towing my boat from the Okanagan. Small boats are great for teaching you the discipline of keeping everything organized.

ericl

Get something with the newest Yamaha OB you can - lot's of boats for sale because they need a new engine. Most boats have wood as reinforcement & this wood will rot over time. Some Aluminum boats will not have wood in them.

Enniberg

I would look for a 16' or 17' Arima. It may require some patience, but you should be able to find one with good 4 stroke power within your budget.

I was in the same position as you this May with a lower budget, went for an older K&C 18.ft it was much loved and hulls in good shape, it has 2016 Mercury115hp and 9.9hp motors which ran perfect. Reliable power was my main want. Did everything we asked of it, we will eventually upgrade to a cuddly or cabin but this will do for 3-5 years while I save for the 30k boat. Gotta move fast on a good boat as the good ones around 15k go quick it seems. 5036C577-29D6-4769-9F7E-4623C224411C.jpeg