English Bay traffic lanes moved

Tugcapitan

For everyone fishing in English Bay, you will notice the QB bouy has been moved farther North. So have the inbound and outbound lanes respectively.
So, for those fishing the West Van shoreline or near the Cap, outbound ships will be coming closer than what you are used to in the normal fishing areas.
FYI

Just curious - have you heard why?
Trying to squeeze another anchorage in the bay?
The cynic/pessimist in me thinks that since the Port Authority HATES the Cap fishery, this is somehow leading to another nail in that coffin.

as much as I'd love to blame DFO for this one, actually the harbor is controlled by the Vancouver Port Authority - another almighty semi-public body with almost unlimited powers over "their" jurisdiction

There actually is a well thought out good reason...
and of course if it means another anchorage can be squeezed in the Port will of course be pleased $$$

However the real reason is that ships are getting larger and larger. The huge Cruise ships and container ships entering the port are pushing the limits of the approach to first narrows bridge. With hardly any room over the bottom and underneath the bridge at the same time, the lanes were moved North to reduce the angle of approach to the bridge, thus creating a smaller turn which reduces the swept path of the ship and the rate of turn needed to negotiate the channel.

I unfortunately think the Cap fishery is screwed. It’s already been a closed area for over a year (un-enforced), but that’s changing. More and more I see the port authority boats “guarding” first narrows as tankers and cruise ships transit.

Sign of the times. Money talks. I’m betting one average Friday of cruisers and a tanker provide more revenue than an entire year of rec angling in all of Vancouver and Victoria combined.

Yes, I've had several interactions with the "guards" (usually VPA boats, but the Police one as well) - they don't know, or forget that this isn't the states - i.e there is no exclusion zone, or priority for the tankers or cruise ships. So, I can be 3ft off the beach in 5' of water and as long as I'm not obstructing his passage, am allowed to be under the bridge at the same time.
The last "discussion" I was able to point to my radio and ask "but there was no Clear first narrows call was there" (usually given to tankers/bunkers - those I do respect), and they could only grumble and speed off.

Yes, I've had several interactions with the "guards" (usually VPA boats, but the Police one as well) - they don't know, or forget that this isn't the states - i.e there is no exclusion zone, or priority for the tankers or cruise ships. So, I can be 3ft off the beach in 5' of water and as long as I'm not obstructing his passage, am allowed to be under the bridge at the same time.

I hate to burst your bubble, but this has been in the Port ops guide for over a year. Have you seen the new bouy west of the Cap light? Everything to the east of it is in MRA-1, right through to Burnaby shoal.

“The MRA-1 Procedures shall supersede the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada Pacific Fishery Management Regulations in the area of Sub-Area 28-9 which overlaps the MRA- 1 area.

For safety reasons, vessels engaged in fishing (including crab-by-trap), personal watercraft such as jet skis, row boats, canoes and vessels, sailing or proceeding without mechanical power, are not permitted within MRA-1. Fishing, sailing and other non-powered recreational activity is permitted only in designated areas outside of the boundaries of MRA-1 west of First Narrows Lions Gate Bridge.”

Like I say it’s not really being enforced, yet, but they can boot you out if they want to.

Glad to hear you listen to the “clear narrows” broadcasts. If only everyone else did it might not have come to this.

That's what makes their "guarding" so annoying - I was in the sailboat transiting the area - not fishing, so they had no cause to think they could try and stop me from being in that zone.
I've complained before about the ignorance of some of the guys fishing at the Cap - listen to traffic, hear the pilots in the big boys announce they are coming out, look over, see the tanker, stay out of the way - simple - yet almost invariably someone would THEN proceed to do their turn at the light (the guides seemed to be the worst), so yes no wonder it will pretty soon be gone.
Luckily (for me) I'm now over Comox way and don't have to deal with the circus anymore.

Back