Engine hours

Cuba Libre

Just curious--what kind of hours do you non-guides put on your boats annually? And how about guides?

The reason I am asking is that when the computer was read on my 115 merc, I was suprised to see that I had been underestimating the hours I had been putting on the engine...about 250/year. How about you guys?

I dont have an hour meter, and dont keep a log, so I was way off what I estimated.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

200hrs a season on the main is about average for me

Conservative guess (as i have no meter,) approx 240 hours per year
I troll with main motor as it's only a 50hp.

I have a 3 year old motor that has 125 hours. I have a fishing partner that has a boat also, so we take turns using each others boats. I guess that would give me a total of about 83 hours a year between both boats. Figure the time it tates you to get to your fishing spot and back. The rest of the time is on the trolling motor (2 -6 hours )
BS

I forgot to take into account that I troll with the big motor most times..That would make quite a difference.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Fifty hours on the main and around four hundred for the kicker. Don,t have to make the big runs when you just fish Sooke. Cheers Fc

quote: I figure I put on about 1500 hours on my trolling motor last year

Wow thats impressive thats 187 days of fishing at 8 hours of trolling in one year might want to check that:D:D:D.

I personally have hooked up an hour meter to my kicker as I use it to determine when I change the oil's in it, its easy to do if you have a yammy control box and wiring as there is 2 neg and 2 hots one being an delayed wire which you hook up and hour meter too the other is a constant power which you hook your light to for running purposes.
So I can tell you the exact hours on it in 3 years of trolling I have put on 1876 hours on it and im out alot guess not as much as some but definatlly enough.
As for the main about 150 hours as I dont have to run as far as bananas as hes in renny!!!! sooke your at your spots in about 10 to 25 mins depending where you go.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Wow thats impressive thats 187 days of fishing at 8 hours of trolling in one year might want to check that

Check What? My head:)

I fished at least that much last season. I wasd out 5-7 days a week from Feb/Mar thru to November and some of them days were over 12 hours. Hey I even fish fished Dec. a fare bit. My boat never gets away.

Should see how many hours I have already put on it this years.

Did learn that when puting that may hours on a T8 change the plugs and it will start easier. The guys at Parker were wondering about the plugs after seeing them that rounded in under a year.

And it was all done for sport.

Good on ya to be able to sport fish that much when do you have time for work??? LOL LOL as im sure it would have to be close to 200 days plus of fishing.

Wolf

Had 23 months off:) Just went back to work in Dec.

Yes I love to fish.

Should have seen the hours I put on one of my last kickers. But still a friend of mine bought it and I would buy it back from him still. I owned it for 10 years.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

I put on 50 last year do you leave the key on for a radio or something that racks up the hours too

new motors with cpu's only count running hours

I dont even want to know how many hours I log on my mains since I got rid of my kicker, but trolling hours have considerably less impact on engine wear. I hope to get a couple more seasons out of them, maybe three? I may consider rebuilding them to get more life at some point.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Our 27' Tiara (HighFive) with twin 350's does about 650 to 700 hours a year. Have about 4200 hours now and still going strong. Hope to get another year or so out of them. Wish we had a kicker and we would get another 3 or 4 years out of them.

Getting some warranty work done on my optimax 115 and got my hour total. 113 hours last season. All trolling was done on my main since I just purchased a kicker. 113 hours and I need new injectors already. If this keeps up I will end up getting rid of the two smoke!

Reel Chaos

Hey King Cod , you should not need injectors after 113 hours on an opti! Was the motor running roughly ? Was there water in the fuel?

Engine ran rough on the last day of the chum derby in 09. Thought it might be the plugs so I changed them. Took it back to LA Marine in Port Alberni to mount my kicker(cover my butt on hull warranty) and had them give it a test run in the tank. They took the faulty injector and replaced it with a used injector to test for further faults and found the miss fire was still there. They installed 3 used injectors and the problem disappeared. Seems to be a issue with the return/ground side of the injector wiring.

They are trying to claim three injectors under warrany to fix the problem. I won't complain as long as it's covered under warranty :D

No water in the fuel as far as I know. I will drain the Racor when I get the boat back to see if any water did get in the system.

Reel Chaos

Back