Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline - Pro's and Con's

Interesting how the industry likes to keep problems to themselves, until they get caught.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...otentially-dangerous-gas-leak/?__lsa=36932506

CALGARY – Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. was charged Monday with violating national environmental laws by releasing a potentially dangerous substance into the Northern Alberta air two years ago.

During the bitumen upgrading process at the company’s Horizon Oil Sands facility located approximately 70 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, AB, Canada’s largest independent energy company allegedly released an unknown amount of hydrogen sulphide gas into the atmosphere in May 2010 and failed to report the emissions to authorities.
If true, the company’s actions would violate three sections of the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act and Canadian Natural Resources would be subject to a fine of up to $500,000. Hydrogen sulphide gas is a chemical asphyxiant similar to carbon monoxide or cyanide gas and can lead to severe respiratory problems or even death at very high levels of exposure.
A spokesperson for the Alberta provincial government in Edmonton declined to comment or provide details on exactly how much of the gas was allegedly released, citing respect for the Court process. Canadian Natural Resources officials at the company’s headquarters in Calgary did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Proceedings are scheduled to commence on July 11 at the Fort McMurray Provincial Court.

But what would you expect if money is on the line.
Wonder how the pipeline companies would handle the problem.
GLG

Guys, as promised here is the information regarding the town hall meeting where you can hear Robyn Allan speak in person and ask questions. I will be making an effort to attend. I found her first presentation very refreshing in that she is clear and concise and the stuff that she says is actually supported by traceable/supportable facts (novel concept, eh?). I know a few of you on this thread were interested in attending so if you can be in the Vancouver area on June 16th I highly recommend you attend. See ya there!

June 16: "TOWN HALL - Enbridge's Northern Gateway Project: Economic Benefit or Liability?"

WHEN: Saturday June 16, 2012

10:00 -11:30 am

WHERE West Point Grey Community Centre Gym

4397 West 2nd Avenue map

Last month there was shocked silence when Economist Robyn Allan ended her talk at the MP Breakfast Connections! Could it really be true that Enbridge's Northern Gateway Pipeline submission to the National Energy Board review is "deceptive" and inaccurate? Are Enbridge's proposed economic benefits in reality a massive wealth transfer from the pockets of Canadian consumers, commuters and businesses - and into the bank accounts of foreign-owned oil producers?

Come and find out on Saturday June 16, at a Town Hall featuring Ms. Robyn Allan, respected independent economist and former head of ICBC. Whether you are concerned about the environmental risks of this pipeline route, or whether you consider the risks to be manageable, join us for an in-depth look at this important issue facing BC residents. Find out what you can do to ensure your voice is heard.

Enbridge has under-estimated the risk of a bitumen spill along its technically challenging Northern Gateway Project and ignored the company's spill history in the United States in its risk studies, concludes a prominent economist.

Here is the latest article i've seen from Robyn Allan

http://thetyee.ca/News/2012/06/05/Gateway-Oil-Spill-Insurance/

In a new report directly requested by the Joint Panel Review studying the controversial project, Robyn Allan, former CEO of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, also concludes that Enbridge doesn't have adequate insurance coverage or the corporate structure to cover a multi-billion dollar spill either.

"There is no reason to believe Enbridge would be directly responsible for the cost of any spill based on the limited partnership structure. This structure allows profits to flow to Enbridge, but from what I have seen in the documents, not spill liabilities." explains Allan.

The future potential..

Check out this pic!! Good way to preserve the trees from rotting eh?

Attachments

• pipe line oiul blow out..jpg
    pipe line oiul blow out..jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
It is ZeeBart, a good undercoating which will protect trees from pine beetle infestations.

Seriously, definitely something we do not want happening anywhere.

doing the math it works out to an average of 5 spill's a year for the Northern Gateway project.
Perhaps they have a magic wand they could wave over the project so they have no "releases"

so f'ing sicking. I feel we should on the lawn of the leg right now protesting this. If anyone with a more knowledgeable voice then mine wants to go down there lets go. So many people Ive talkd to dont even know about this. There is no doubt in my mind that we have already been sold out long ago when deals were made and this pipeline will go threw. I shake my head at the title of this thread. There are no 'pros'. What is wrong with the people of Canada could they not see what the conservatives are before they voted. Sad sad times for the province and country. I wish I had more time and energy to organize protects and things we should be doing. Were are all the smart retired people.

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...pill-michigan-Kalamazoo-tar-sands-epa-ntsb-6b

"Almost two years after the spill, oil is still being removed from the Kalamazoo River, and 30 miles of the waterway remain closed to the public. The cleanup has been difficult because the line that ruptured was carrying diluted bitumen, or dilbit, an unconventional form of oil derived from Canada's oil sands that has defied traditional oil recovery methods."

This happened in Michigan which is just about as flat as a pancake.

Given the provisions of Bill 38, a minister can give the go-ahead on any project, without consultation, debate or scientific input. Faster natural fishing stocks,the better. Less collateral damage.

Given the provisions of Bill 38, a minister can give the go-ahead on any project, without consultation, debate or scientific input. Faster natural fishing stocks,the better. Less collateral damage.

Bill c-38 passed without any ammendants. the conservatives voted down all 890ish of them ina 23 hour straight voting marathon. Brutal

so f'ing sicking. I feel we should on the lawn of the leg right now protesting this. If anyone with a more knowledgeable voice then mine wants to go down there lets go. So many people Ive talkd to dont even know about this. There is no doubt in my mind that we have already been sold out long ago when deals were made and this pipeline will go threw. I shake my head at the title of this thread. There are no 'pros'. What is wrong with the people of Canada could they not see what the conservatives are before they voted. Sad sad times for the province and country. I wish I had more time and energy to organize protects and things we should be doing. Were are all the smart retired people.

Fish stalker,

There have been loads of protests and events about Bill C-38, which guts fish habitat laws so the pipeline can go through. There was one in Centennial square on Wednesday. You can find them all here:-

http://heroes.leadnow.ca/search/

Most of these are organised by various environmental groups which some folks on here seem to have a problem with. As I see it we can unite on this one, or we all go down separately, along with our fish.

I know the odious Bill C-38 has passed, but the pipeline is not a done deal yet. The long hard bitter fight on this will continue!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder that the Robyn Allan town hall in vancouver is tomorrow (Saturday) morning at 10am. All info is posted a page or two back. I won't be able to make is as I'm off on the island bit I highly recommend it to those in van who can make it.

Tincan I edited and posted the link but it doesn't work.
PS I tried it again and presto, it is on my original post.

Back