Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

SVIAC

There is a potentially very serious issue arising regarding the possible large scale changes in the regulations for the recreational Chinook fishery for South Vancouver Island (i.e. areas 19 and 20). The SVIAC Board is aware of this and may call upon the recreational fishing sector and those businesses and communities that rely on recreational fishing to help in a lobbying effort to let the federal govt. know of the serious negative impacts any substantial regulation changes would bring. Please stay tuned.

Here is a portion taken from today's SFI-BC newsletter. These regulation changes depending on what DFO does, have the potential to have some very serious negative impacts for the SVI recreational fishery and in the long term for the entire coast!

Good to know that SFI, SFAB and SVIAC are already working on this. Like this article implies we may very soon need to have a big letter writing and lobbying campaign to try to avoid some possible very negative reg. changes for areas 19 and 20 this summer!!!

April 29, 2016
Chinook, Fraser River and Juan de Fuca

The SFI is actively engaged on behalf of Southern Vancouver Island anglers in convincing DFO to stick to its guns regarding maintaining access to Chinook in Juan De Fuca Strait recreational fisheries. We believe that the 2012 policy which creates 3 zones of abundance (zone one being the lowest) based on test fishery results, and corresponding management measures that affect all 3 sectors is the appropriate path forward. Abandoning the abundance-based approach would be a fundamental policy change that could undermine both domestic fisheries management and Canada’s position as we begin renegotiation of the chinook and coho portions of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

Management scenarios currently proposed by DFO and First Nations include a full closure of the Juan de Fuca and Georgia Strait approach waters to the Fraser and in River salmon fishery in May, June and July and/or keeping only recreational and commercial fisheries at zone 1 management measures. This closure and zone 1 management scenario would continue even if test fishery results indicate a zone 2 or even 3 level of abundance. While the impacts to the recreational sector would be very damaging and severely limit opportunity in either scenario, the proposals would provide for a doubling or even tripling of First Nations impacts on the stocks in the Fraser River. This is not a conservation based proposal, effectively represents a reallocation of fish between sectors and provides a gift to the United States of marked hatchery fish Canada is entitled to catch under the salmon treaty. Early Fraser Chinook stocks are predicted by the Pacific Salmon Commission Chinook Technical Committee to return at 258,000 fish in 2016. This is the highest predicted return since 1979, and almost 4x the brood year! It seems hard to conceive of a serious conservation based argument based on a prediction like this.

We sincerely hope that the DFO understands the need for a clear and transparent science based approach to this issue which respects the value and needs of all sectors. To do otherwise will surely lead to a very long hot summer on the Juan de Fuca Strait.

SFI in Ottawa
As we head into May, we’d like to take this opportunity to update you on our recent mission to Ottawa to meet with representatives of the new Government including the Minister of Fisheries, Hunter Tootoo.

A joint team of SFI, SFAB and BCWF leaders comprised of Owen Bird, Gerry Kristianson, Martin Paish, John Mcculloch and Ted Brookman headed to Ottawa for 4 busy days of meetings.

In addition to meeting with the Minister, we met with the Deputy Minister of Fisheries and many of her senior staff and also had one on one sessions with BC MP’s Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, Mel Arnold, Elizabeth May, Mark Strahl, Ken Hardie, Gord Johns, Jati Sidhu, Larry Bagnall, as well as Fisheries Parliamentary Secretary Serge Cormier and BC Senator Larry Campbell.

The primary topics of discussion included:
An overview of the social and economic values of the sport fishery;
  • An introduction to the Vision Implementation Program and its benefits including;
    • Improved Catch Monitoring;
    • Collaborative work on items including the Fishing App;
    • Measures to protect and improve funding for the SFAB process;
  • The significance of the looming Fraser River Chinook decision on not only Juan de Fuca rec fisheries but the precedent that it would set for all fisheries.

Last edited:
I'll ask the obvious question.....why? What is this approach intended to accomplish?

Secondly, what are the other management approaches being considered? Is there a reference paper somewhere with the options and rationale for each?

IMO it has very little to do with science, reliable, defensible data and good resource management, but rather about politics.

The rec. sector is the easiest group for DFO hit with increasing restrictions. All the more reason we need to get organized and support the organizations that lobby on our behalf!

Last edited:
Here is a portion taken from today's SFI-BC newsletter. These regulation changes depending on what DFO does, have the potential to have some very serious negative impacts for the SVI recreational fishery and in the long term for the entire coast!

Good to know that SFI, SFAB and SVIAC are already working on this. Like this article implies we may very soon need to have a big letter writing and lobbying campaign to try to avoid some possible very negative reg. changes for areas 19 and 20 this summer!!!

April 29, 2016
Chinook, Fraser River and Juan de Fuca

The SFI is actively engaged on behalf of Southern Vancouver Island anglers in convincing DFO to stick to its guns regarding maintaining access to Chinook in Juan De Fuca Strait recreational fisheries. We believe that the 2012 policy which creates 3 zones of abundance (zone one being the lowest) based on test fishery results, and corresponding management measures that affect all 3 sectors is the appropriate path forward. Abandoning the abundance-based approach would be a fundamental policy change that could undermine both domestic fisheries management and Canada’s position as we begin renegotiation of the chinook and coho portions of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

Management scenarios currently proposed by DFO and First Nations include a full closure of the Juan de Fuca and Georgia Strait approach waters to the Fraser and in River salmon fishery in May, June and July and/or keeping only recreational and commercial fisheries at zone 1 management measures. This closure and zone 1 management scenario would continue even if test fishery results indicate a zone 2 or even 3 level of abundance. While the impacts to the recreational sector would be very damaging and severely limit opportunity in either scenario, the proposals would provide for a doubling or even tripling of First Nations impacts on the stocks in the Fraser River. This is not a conservation based proposal, effectively represents a reallocation of fish between sectors and provides a gift to the United States of marked hatchery fish Canada is entitled to catch under the salmon treaty. Early Fraser Chinook stocks are predicted by the Pacific Salmon Commission Chinook Technical Committee to return at 258,000 fish in 2016. This is the highest predicted return since 1979, and almost 4x the brood year! It seems hard to conceive of a serious conservation based argument based on a prediction like this.

We sincerely hope that the DFO understands the need for a clear and transparent science based approach to this issue which respects the value and needs of all sectors. To do otherwise will surely lead to a very long hot summer on the Juan de Fuca Strait.

SFI in Ottawa
As we head into May, we’d like to take this opportunity to update you on our recent mission to Ottawa to meet with representatives of the new Government including the Minister of Fisheries, Hunter Tootoo.

A joint team of SFI, SFAB and BCWF leaders comprised of Owen Bird, Gerry Kristianson, Martin Paish, John Mcculloch and Ted Brookman headed to Ottawa for 4 busy days of meetings.

In addition to meeting with the Minister, we met with the Deputy Minister of Fisheries and many of her senior staff and also had one on one sessions with BC MP’s Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, Mel Arnold, Elizabeth May, Mark Strahl, Ken Hardie, Gord Johns, Jati Sidhu, Larry Bagnall, as well as Fisheries Parliamentary Secretary Serge Cormier and BC Senator Larry Campbell.

The primary topics of discussion included:
An overview of the social and economic values of the sport fishery;
  • An introduction to the Vision Implementation Program and its benefits including;
    • Improved Catch Monitoring;
    • Collaborative work on items including the Fishing App;
    • Measures to protect and improve funding for the SFAB process;
  • The significance of the looming Fraser River Chinook decision on not only Juan de Fuca rec fisheries but the precedent that it would set for all fisheries.

Check and reread the highlighted section. We have a Liberal government in power whom are natourious for giving into and giving to First Nations in this country and we have a new Fisheries ministers who's name is Hunter Tootoo and you wonder what is happening,, lol Ahhh the joys of a Liberal government.

Bend over they're just getting started..

BRUTAL. That's just embarrassing. They need to stop gift wrapping to FN...this government has been doing that non stop since being elected.

Rediculous.
The recreational angler contributes a huge amount to local economies, not to mention tourist dollars.
You want to conserve stock? cut down the commie catch. I'd rather fish for my meal than go to the pub and get a "fresh salmon fillet" for $28

OH and wait its better did you know that they opened for commercial a few weeks ago of the west coast of the island....
http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=182941&ID=all

NAH none of those early fraser will get caught .... and it opens again on may 1st.... NAH no frasers will get caught and I think its 37,000 units .....
Go fish and enjoy while you can....cause as you know ALL them fish only live inbetween sherinham and 10 mile pt NOT campbell river or nanaimo or EVEN in front of the fraser river mouth.... its such a joke you have to laugh cause its so political....

This has a lot to be concerned about for all fishermen on the coast as it could be the beginning of changes.

A couple of questions, how long has this been known?
What has,the SFAB done on this?
What have the groups done as I note the FN has done something?
Is there serious lobbying being done on this and if so by what group?

Are we already late on this?
When is a decision going to be made?

Yee haw and now we get to feed another 650,000 fn's on the poge wagon, oh and on another note buddy was fishing off Van on Friday bonked 2 nice springs, 20,24 lbs, good thing you let those go Wolf!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well please don't keep us in the dark about who eats up the tax dollars, oh and while you are at it tell us what the Tsawwassen bank gets as part of their settlement with the govt, hint it is a **** pot full of fraser river salmon

ST i stated a fact, give us the details on how much of the salmon runs in the fraser were part of the settlement with this band (if i remember it was something like 10 lbs per person per day). If you do the math and add every other band that has access to the river there will be more salmon in the treaties than there is salmon. If you don't think the new announcement that gives the metis the same rights as other fn's, that they will not want the same we are all screwed you and me. Why do you think they closed the banana, sockeye runs are totally screwed now the bands want spring salmon to make up what is lost in the sockeye run. if you take the time to read my first post a whitey like myself got to keep 2 beautiful spring salmon right in front Vancouver, now Sooke fishers are getting it up the arse big time and for what. Do none of these fish travel down the inside, where they get hammered by everyone. DFO has no frickin clue. In closing i was not pointing the finger at you but this system has to change with the fn's. I think you have to agree it is broken, a huge burden on the Canadian people no matter what race, look at the last budget and see how much our new leader gave to the fn's with no accountability.

Back on topic....

Thanks for bringing this up SVIAC.
Look forward to more information on what we can do to assist.

I was away from my computer for the day and just came across this debate. I am leaving this here for now, as I think it is important that everyone clearly understand that we do not allow members to smear, make assumptions and label all members of a group of people as one. I think everyone here agrees that this is a very important topic and I am not willing to have it go off the rails. As all groups at the table have a stake in keeping fishing opportunities open and available, I understand how emotions can run high but let's keep the discussion respectful and offer our help to the representatives of the organizations who can get the ear of the Government officials who ultimately will make decisions that will affect this fishery.

There is a potentially very serious issue arising regarding the possible large scale changes in the regulations for the recreational Chinook fishery for South Vancouver Island (i.e. areas 19 and 20). The SVIAC Board is aware of this and may call upon the recreational fishing sector and those businesses and communities that rely on recreational fishing to help in a lobbying effort to let the federal govt. know of the serious negative impacts any substantial regulation changes would bring. Please stay tuned.

Thank you for bringing this to the attention, of us recreational anglers.

Its not rocket science. The Canadian government again likes to take things out of resources and not put money back into them. That is why we hardly have any salmon on that river anymore. Its not DFO locally they know whats going on. The guys in Ottawa just don't get it, and they keep making reactionary decisions instead of being proactive. Look I have been at meetings seen and heard many people. The DFO have known of declines years and years ago. How long have we seen these depressing data charts 10+ years? Why wouldn't you have move on this years ago before it got this bad?

Now here we are again. Area 19 and 20 crucified because the government can't get there crap together. If FN is complaining how about taking a proactive approach and get more fish back.

As an angler of 19/20 the absolutely frustrating thing is to know that there is no plan to restore these fish, and we are simply cutting back to give to another fishery. You can ask anyone and they will tell you same thing. We need a plan to get our Chinook back. Until then DFO is just going to keep reacting every season. Anglers in this area have given enough already.

Back