Emergency Victoria @ Area SFAB Mtg Re: 2018 Chinook - May 4/18

Personally, I don’t prefer to keep larger than 15 lbs so I’m not opposed if a slot limit is implimented as is rumoured. Find the 12-15 is the perfect size for eating and cooking otherwise the meat gets too thick.

I’d also rather they half an annual limit as opposed to halving the daily limits, especially for those that don’t live permanently in there fishing grounds.

Personally, I don’t prefer to keep larger than 15 lbs so I’m not opposed if a slot limit is implimented as is rumoured. Find the 12-15 is the perfect size for eating and cooking otherwise the meat gets too thick.

I’d also rather they half an annual limit as opposed to halving the daily limits, especially for those that don’t live permanently in there fishing grounds.

The average angler retains less than 6 chinook in a year. I don't think there was much to gain by reducing annual limits. Also keep in mind that 50% of chinook caught are from guided operations.

By reducing the daily limits someone would have to schedule 4 days with a guide as opposed to 2. If they keep chinook possession limits at 4. if they bump down the possession limit to 2. They effectively half what someone can bring home from a trip.

The average angler retains less than 6 chinook in a year. I don't think there was much to gain by reducing annual limits. Also keep in mind that 50% of chinook caught are from guided operations.

By reducing the daily limits someone would have to schedule 4 days with a guide as opposed to 2. If they keep chinook possession limits at 4. if they bump down the possession limit to 2. They effectively half what someone can bring home from a trip.
They will simply reduce the possession limit to 2 fish. I remember killing 4 large ones per angler in my boat with ease, lol.

So what defines an ‘average angler’? Is that the average per tidal licence/salmon stamp purchased?

It would seem likely that many SFBC members here would probably defy that statistical average in retention numbers. And no, there doesn’t need to be an outpouring of responses of people saying “I only keep 6 fish a year” etc.

This would seem to become a circular argument by those opposed to C & R, the subsequent mortality and the philosophy of
‘getting off the water’ when you’ve limited out. If that were the case, the average SFBC member would only fish 3-6 times per year.

If the idea is to protect SRKW, their ‘primary’ food supply and Fraser river stocks why impose something for example on say Rivers inlet who’s stocks don’t meet any of the above criteria?

If we truly need to protect a keystone species, then protect it. If it means we need to close sportfishing, so be it. If 50% of retained fish are truly from guiding operations, then have measures there. Before people complain about that, I understand the economic impact of that both on the guides and on local economies both directly and indirectly. If people lose income to ensure the survival of a species, is that not the cost of environmental stewardship?

It seems ironic sometimes that some on here will on one hand could be diametrically opposed to a pipeline to the coast but then on the other hand, be completely outraged about DFO measures to protect salmon stocks through slot limits, area closures, retention reductions, etc. That seems to stink of hypocrisy.

The individual sense of entitlement need ms to stop. We need to be more unified as a group and do our part. That starts with looking in the mirror and being truly honest with ourselves.

There ARE restrictions coming, most likely starting June 1st and for the entire straight of georgia. Slot limit max 85cm wild.

A lot of speculation going on. Best to wait to see the announcement which is coming next week. You will need to be sitting down when you read it.

There ARE restrictions coming, most likely starting June 1st and for the entire straight of georgia. Slot limit max 85cm wild.

I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I need to see it on DFO letterhead.

Are you saying then no restrictions on clipped fish? I’d be ok with that too.

Back