Emergency Victoria @ Area SFAB Mtg Re: 2018 Chinook - May 4/18

SVIAC

******************** NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING ***********************

What: Emergency DFO 2018 Chinook Management Proposal

Host: Victoria and Area SFAB Committee

When: Friday May 4th at 7:00pm

LOCATION CONFIRMATION - Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway Hotel, 829 McCallum Road, Victoria (behind Costco in Langford)

For full meeting info and agenda go to bottom of page 3 and read the post by Governor at http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...fab-mtg-re-2018-chinook-may-4-18.69976/page-3

I apologise for the very short notice - the reason is explained below ...

DFO has very recently proposed adding Chinook fishing measures for the summer of 2018 to reduce exploitation by 25% - 35% on three (3) Fraser River stocks of concern: Nicola 4-2s; Sushwap 4-1s; and Harrison 4-1s. 2018 has already been identified as a year to expect low adult returns, where Zone 1 measures will continue in effect, however DFO suggests these three stocks are of particular concern. In the past three weeks DFO has been preparing exploitation modelling tools and an SFAB technical team has been looking at various options to meet the DFO request and discussing the merits of implementing such a regimen. Measures could impact multiple areas around Southern BC not just Victoria and Sooke. This meeting is to share with you what is being proposed by DFO, the implications to your fisheries and what the SFAB technical committee feels is a workable solution under difficult circumstances.

As with the proposed closures relating to Southern Resident Killer Whales, this has been placed on our SFAB desks at the very last minute in the IFMP consultations process with no fore-warning and now we need to consult with you, our constituents before the SFAB response is submitted to DFO on the 7th. As there will be an important planning meeting on Thursday 3rd May for the SFAB technical team and the SFAB has to advise DFO of their recommendations by Monday 7th, there is unfortunately no other alternative to Friday evening for the Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting. I do hope you can join us and I will send out location details shortly. Please forward this notice on to other anglers and fishing clubs to let them know about this meeting.

Location details will be emailed to this list and posted on sportfishingbc.com forum and on the SVIAC Facebook page ...

https://www.facebook.com/SouthVancouverIslandAnglersCoalition

Hope to see you there and thank you for your understanding,

Regards,

Chris

Christopher Bos
Victoria and Area Committee Chair
Sport Fishing Advisory Board
(778) 426-4141
C.Bos@shaw.ca

Last edited:
******************** NOTICE OF EMERGENCY MEETING ***********************

What: Emergency DFO 2018 Chinook Management Proposal

Host: Victoria and Area SFAB Committee

When: Friday May 4th at 7:00pm

Location: still to be determined (check in at https://www.facebook.com/SouthVancouverIslandAnglersCoalition

I apologise for the very short notice - the reason is explained below ...

DFO has very recently proposed adding Chinook fishing measures for the summer of 2018 to reduce exploitation by 25% - 35% on three (3) Fraser River stocks of concern: Nicola 4-2s; Sushwap 4-1s; and Harrison 4-1s. 2018 has already been identified as a year to expect low adult returns, where Zone 1 measures will continue in effect, however DFO suggests these three stocks are of particular concern. In the past three weeks DFO has been preparing exploitation modelling tools and an SFAB technical team has been looking at various options to meet the DFO request and discussing the merits of implementing such a regimen. Measures could impact multiple areas around Southern BC not just Victoria and Sooke. This meeting is to share with you what is being proposed by DFO, the implications to your fisheries and what the SFAB technical committee feels is a workable solution under difficult circumstances.

As with the proposed closures relating to Southern Resident Killer Whales, this has been placed on our SFAB desks at the very last minute in the IFMP consultations process with no fore-warning and now we need to consult with you, our constituents before the SFAB response is submitted to DFO on the 7th. As there will be an important planning meeting on Thursday 3rd May for the SFAB technical team and the SFAB has to advise DFO of their recommendations by Monday 7th, there is unfortunately no other alternative to Friday evening for the Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting. I do hope you can join us and I will send out location details shortly. Please forward this notice on to other anglers and fishing clubs to let them know about this meeting.

Location details will be emailed to this list and posted on sportfishingbc.com forum and on the SVIAC Facebook page ...

https://www.facebook.com/SouthVancouverIslandAnglersCoalition

Hope to see you there and thank you for your understanding,

Regards,
Chris

Christopher Bos
Victoria and Area Committee Chair
Sport Fishing Advisory Board
(778) 426-4141
C.Bos@shaw.ca

This is an important meeting for all of us who fish Springs from Vancouver to Sooke.
Lets keep it front and centre on this forum until Fridays meeting.
We all *****, now is the time to get ourselves and all our friends out to the meeting to hear what's in store for us and support the SFAB.

I love how I hearing about this though SVIAC and not my though my local SFAC chair.

Edit: sorry for calling groups out but I was under the impression that information flowed out from the SFAB and down to the Sfac chairs and out to members of the Sfac.

The post is confusing and I guess that’s because of the short notice.

Last edited:
Is there a document for review? or can anyone provide specifics on the proposed regulations? incorporating Harrison Chinook into the stocks of concerns could have a large impact on area 29 and 17. Most of the fish being caught right now in 29 & 17 are Chehalis/Chilliwack/Capilano hatchery fish, and CWT recoveries will indicate a high exploitation rate for Harrison stock on the inside.

Last edited:
May head over for this. Damn!

You’re kidding right? This is simply another example of the confusion created by the fact that the President of SVIAC is also the chair of the local SFAC. So, is this an SFAB meeting or a SVIAC meeting? Where does one end and the other begin in Victoria? The SFAB is not an “arm” of SVIAC and shouldn’t be perceived as one yet more and more that is what’s happening. I doubt the confusion is intentional in order to provide a perception that SVIAC is more “in the loop” than the SFAB or any other group, but it sure seems self serving. Using a government advisory board to promote the activities of your own “non-profit” advocacy group is not only against the terms of reference of the SFAB, but is more than a wee bit misleading. Its getting really tiresome and is damaging to the local SFAC committee.

As mentioned by others, what specifically is it we’re going to talk about? Is this about all of Southern Vancouver Island (SVIAC) or specifically areas 18, 19 & 20 (SFAB?) Are we talking closures, extension of slot limits, changes in bag limits or what? It’d be nice to actually have an exchange of information here rather than an alarmist post threatening closures etc as a way to pull in the crowds. Rumour has it we may be looking at an extension of the 85 cm, slot limit to the end of July. Is this the case? Knowing more about what we’re up against would help me participate better at the meeting. Come on, stop the sales tactics and get down to responsible information exchange!

Frankly, the chair of the local SFAB should know better, but just doesn’t seem to care. The confusion, as outlined in your post here, is not helpful to anyone.

I love how I hearing about this though SVIAC and not my though my local SFAC chair and SFI decided to post today about fish farms with no mention of this.

Glad I threw some money SVIAC's way for a membership!! thanks SVIAC for getting the word out.

FYI - the SFI was not only well aware of this meeting taking place, but has played a key role in the planning and consultation leading up to it. We have chosen to understand our role as a member organization in the SFAB and not to blur the lines between what the SFAB does and what the SFI does, hence no "Emergency Meeting" notice sent out under the SFI banner. We advocate, the SFAB advises - it is well worth remembering that when you attend meetings of this type so you can be clear as to what a reasonable expected outcome might be.

CP

When do we stop accepting this dropping on our desks at the last minute and shove up our asses as the status quo? The Sfab does the best they can with what they are giving and they are not giving much. This process is doomed.

You’re kidding right? This is simply another example of the confusion created by the fact that the President of SVIAC is also the chair of the local SFAC. So, is this an SFAB meeting or a SVIAC meeting? Where does one end and the other begin in Victoria? The SFAB is not an “arm” of SVIAC and shouldn’t be perceived as one yet more and more that is what’s happening. I doubt the confusion is intentional in order to provide a perception that SVIAC is more “in the loop” than the SFAB or any other group, but it sure seems self serving. Using a government advisory board to promote the activities of your own “non-profit” advocacy group is not only against the terms of reference of the SFAB, but is more than a wee bit misleading. Its getting really tiresome and is damaging to the local SFAC committee.

As mentioned by others, what specifically is it we’re going to talk about? Is this about all of Southern Vancouver Island (SVIAC) or specifically areas 18, 19 & 20 (SFAB?) Are we talking closures, extension of slot limits, changes in bag limits or what? It’d be nice to actually have an exchange of information here rather than an alarmist post threatening closures etc as a way to pull in the crowds. Rumour has it we may be looking at an extension of the 85 cm, slot limit to the end of July. Is this the case? Knowing more about what we’re up against would help me participate better at the meeting. Come on, stop the sales tactics and get down to responsible information exchange!

Frankly, the chair of the local SFAB should know better, but just doesn’t seem to care. The confusion, as outlined in your post here, is not helpful to anyone.

whos side are you on?

Derby...the post clearly states the host is SFAB and the signature line at the bottom clearly is signed by Chris Bos Victoria and area committee chair, SFAB. Perhaps he should have used his Governor tag to post this on the site. Given the short notice and work load I know Chris is undertaking I'm willing to cut him some slack...probably an over site and just trying to get this out and organized. By his post he is still scrambling trying to find a venue to hold the meeting. Chris works hard for this area in both capacities...this is the area that demands the most out of its SFAB rep as this is where all the crap continues to take place. I appreciate his tireless efforts and everyone else's in the SFAB process.

Sorry have to agree with Rollie on this one its CLEARLY states SFAB would it be different if i posted it under bluewolf charters?? point it IT DOES NOT MATTER .there is some serious **** coming down the pipe as i see it. I dont care who tells me or whatever as long as the word got out.
I have a very bad feeling that its going to spider web out ward.
Hope to see you down here derby , I have a bad feeling on this one....THANKS TRUDEAU

Derby and Cutplug
As noted below meeting May the 3rd, SFAB advise May 7 th.

This means ALL the SFAC’s effected need to consult. This requires a meeting or some way they can provide input.

This is not up to the SFI or a few members of the SFAB. They can recommend but as there is time they must ask the involved SFAC’s.

When you are talking about a 35 % reduction this calls for all to be involved.

As to the Victoria Chair calling a meeting on this subject, well that is his responsibility.

I would expect that ALL the chairs of the areas concerned will or should call a meeting.

If they do not then I would question why!

As with the proposed closures relating to Southern Resident Killer Whales, this has been placed on our SFAB desks at the very last minute in the IFMP consultations process with no fore-warning and now we need to consult with you, our constituents before the SFAB response is submitted to DFO on the 7th. As there will be an important planning meeting on Thursday 3rd May for the SFAB technical team and the SFAB has to advise DFO of their recommendations by Monday 7th, there is unfortunately no other alternative to Friday evening for the Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting. I do hope you can join us and I will send out location details shortly.

I just talked to Chris about JDF Derby matters and told him about this thread while I had him on the phone. Chris did not post this...another person asked if he could get this up on this site so that people would have some notice of this meeting. Chris being busy told the person to go ahead and post it. Chris had no idea that it would be posted with any reference to SVIAC...I'm sure the person who did post it had no intention of misrepresenting the host of the meeting. During my call to Chris he said we could talk for 10 minutes and after only 3-4 minutes he had to take another call on the other line relating to important fisheries matters....good thing the pay scale is so good for his position!

These closures happen and there will be an increase of FN netting. The nicola 4-2 which is migrating now has already had 3 full blown openings in the last 2 weeks, and they cleaned up. and as for trying to protect them in the saltwater most have already passed through the terminal areas!!
The Shuswap 4-1 will get wiped out due to a cermemonial sockeye fishery that will turn the Fraser into gauntlet of set nets and drift nets. Springs for 2$ a lb and socks for 5$ filleted.
The Harrison stock will get absolutely wiped out because of the FN chum fishery.
By this point in end of Sept the FN will not even be able to sell their catch because they have flooded the market with legal and illegal catch over May,June,July,August and September.
So we will be in the same situation as the last few years...wasted net caught fish because they can’t sell them and miles of unsold fish below the Harrison mouth as well as in the Hope dump.
I’m sorry I have no problem not fishing if stocks are of concern....but stop the genocide within the river!

Last edited:
Wow, now our "leaders" getting into a cat fight over procedures! If that doesn't make DFO and other groups trying to sink us dance and party! You should be ashamed of yourselves for being so childish and egocentric on an online forum - you know whom I am talking to!

When can we expect a 25 to 35 % reduction in the amount of fish farms polluting and infecting our wild salmon migration routes and killing our wild salmon smolts?
Or do they just keep expanding their production at the cost of our wild salmon, while we, the average sports-fisherman, keep losing ours?
Hope there is some mention of the fish farms at this meeting also, but somehow I doubt there will be...
You know DFO isn't about to bring it up. There looking at and pointing their finger's at everything except fish farms.

Last edited:
I have to say we have to stop all this infighting the people that fight for our rights are the ones NOT to freak out on and blame them they are the messengers, trust me SFAB,sfac are all there to lessen the pain, they are fighting behind the scenes.For ALL fisherman.
The fault is the minister, do you think they care about us out here?? I think not, ultimately he is the one that signs off on it under the managers offer what they tell him (dfo) so if you attend a meeting and say NO they carry that back to them.
the sad thing is we have a ton of fisherman/woman that ***** and moan but when it comes time to do something they dont show , but are very quick to write something on a blog complaining.
I knew this was coming about 7 years ago with the first restrictions in area 19/20 I said then it was going to spiderweb out well guys HERE it comes. if we dont put our say in then well we get what we deserve....at least tell them how you feel....

Good luck Wolf

Why are we fighting and calling names to those who ARE representing and doing SOMETHING for us. Get the word out and lets have representation on MASS. Just need to know where. Did I miss the where??

Thanks

HM

Back