Emergency situation!

Jencourt

A rat has moved into my boat. What is the best solution?
Going to get a trap and maybe mothballs. kinda hate to make the cuddy smell like moth balls .
Is there a better way?

Lotsa traps. Sometimes they're clever/shy and won't go to an exposed trap. If you cut a little door in the bottom of a closed up box and put the trap just inside sometimes it'll help.

My neighbour had the same issue last year. He left some old prawn bait in the boat as a rat attractant and a family moved in making a nest in the spray floatation foam. Ugly mess.

Here's a few don'ts:
- don't try to poison them - they will return to their nest and die there...leaving a smelly mess for much later when the warm weather comes.
- don't clean up thinking they will move on

Here's what worked:
- he placed several rat traps in and around the boat - kept it up for a long time to make sure there were no stragglers
- put a single light bulb in the boat - rats don't like well lit places to nest
- removed all potential food sources - including bird feeders in the yard

Good luck!

Put traps against the walls not in the middle of floor. Rats will follow the perimeter walls. X2 on the peanut butter.

Don’t forget there’s never just one rat!! You need to figure out how they are getting in. Is your boat under a tree?

Good question. It is in a tent shed. So no tree . Thinking about it now, the Only way in is if they crawled up the leg of my outboard ? Will have to take a better look tomorrow.

Only good thing about having a rat aboard is that it's WAY BETTER than an otter. Good luck getting the little bastards.
I cleaned up the damage from one rat on a 48 Meridian several years back. It cost plenty! Ate through the hydraulic steering lines in some very hard to get places. Check your fluid lines and wiring for chewed spots.
That one was trap shy. We had to poison it.
If you do need to poison them, place a large shallow bowl of water somewhere in the boat. They get really thirsty & seek water once the poison starts working. I found that rat floating in a small puddle in the bilge.

Think of it like its hunting season.... an off season challenge, no season and no bag limits. Brings back childhood memories and my trapline. If I remember I got 14 last year, I feed the birds so they are always around, not in boat, shop or house. Make sure you put the peanut butter bait ON THE BOTTOM of the trigger, they can lick it off the top without springing the traps and you do not require lots, a little smear is best. The good traps with the metal trigger can be set with a hair trigger, have used them to catch rats on travel routes as well as baited. Never had a rat that I could not catch and kill and always remember there is NEVER only 1, always more. Good luck keep us posted.

HM

Place those laundry dryer sheets about especially near electrical wiring. Rats hate the perfume smell and a added bonus, boat smells better than moth balls. Traps as suggested as well.

Brother had a family of Racoons move in his over the winter couple years back. I've never seen such a mess in a boat. Beyond the mess and smell left they chewed wires, seats and carpet he almost sold the boat as is and was ready to start fresh but he cleaned and repaired. What a mess.

Captains Log.
Star date 30.12.18. Rats on the “Inisfree”
After setting 4 traps baited with peanut butter I settled in for a night that was not void of anticipation .
Upon waking this morning, and only half of my first cup of coffee, my curiosity needed to be satisfied . Out I went.
After a quick visual check that old familiar feeling had taken over. On this day the “Inisfree” would realize a “Full Skunk”
Left with more questions than answers I poored a second cup and will now take time to ponder my next move. Ugh!

Last edited:
Captains Log.
Star date 30.12.18. Rats on the “Inisfree”
After setting 4 traps baited with peanut butter I settled in for a night that was not void of anticipation .
Upon waking this morning, and only half of my first cup of coffee, my curiosity needed to be satisfied . Out I went.
After a quick visual check that old familiar feeling had taken over. On this day the “Inisfree” would realize a “Full Skunk”
Left with more questions than answers I poored a second cup and will ponder my next move. Ugh!
lol. Nice.
Just light a few bear scares in there.

Use a game camera to see where it (they ) is/are holed up. Put out several traps with bacon fat on the bait station, but not set, do this for a couple of days, so they are used to the presence of the traps, then set them with the same bait but loaded. When you catch one, wash the trap in soap and water before resetting.

Im having some good results using coconut oil. The think I like about it is it doesn't disappear or go moldy essentially working for a long time. Once there are rats around there will always be rats around.

Someone once told me to put out peanut butter for them for a day or 2 without a trap so they learn to trust the peanut butter, then add the traps. Food for thought. (sorry missed @gungadin 's post)

Back