Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Whole in the Water

I thought it be a good idea to post this here to allow for more visibility. This will be a very important meeting for all rec. anglers to attend.

If we are to be effective in lobbing our position in this very political situation we must begin to get informed with the correct information, start forming a unified sector position to lobby the decision makers so we get effective solutions to the SRKW issue and not just politically convenient closures of the rec sector that don't solve the problem.

Victoria and Area SFAB Committee is holding three emergency meetings to address the recent proposed fishing closures related to Southern Resident Killer Whale recovery.

Monday February 26th - 7:30 pm - Sidney Anglers at Mary Winspear Centre, Sidney

Wednesday February 28th - 7:30pm - Esquimalt Anglers Clubhouse, 1101 Munro Street, Victoria

Tuesday March 6th - 7:30pm - Prestige Hotel, Sooke

SFAB Representatives will present the maps contained in the DFO proposed closure document released on Friday February 16th by DFO and will seek input and advice from their constituents.

These meetings are open to the public and are free to attend - If you are a salmon or ground fish angler please make a point of attend as we would really like to hear your perspective.

yes it is..

Join WebEx meeting

Meeting number: 554 913 920

Meeting password: SRKW

Join by phone
Call-in toll-free number: 1-877-413-4781 (Canada)
Call-in number: 1-613-960-7510 (Canada)
Attendee access code: 681 942 8

did it just say 75% of the chinook SRKW feed on are caught in area 20?

Last edited:
You are correct to question the science.
It appears they do not know where they are in the winter and what effect that is having on their health.
How long have they studied them for the whole year?

I'd like to see the data for that, seems a too high, considering how much these orcas travel around.

Last edited:
Wow. Was worth listening 2. I won't dive in the details, but it became painfully obvious what/who we are up against. Please guys go to your meetings coming up. This is very important, and will effect everyone.

It is extremely important people get the facts as there is a lot of emotion based opinions out there. There are many NGO groups that want our fishery shut down, and I was reminded of that when I listened in. :eek:

Last edited:
IMO this is just SRKW being used as pawns and we’re just giving the fish to First Nations in river.

Just wait till the liberals negotiate the Pacific salmon treaty and us recs and the commercial troll fishery for chinook is decimated.

Maybe if we’re lucky will get to hire a First Nations to guide us.

Looks like this year will be business as normal but 2019 all bets are off

I think what you heard was what people have been saying all along.

By the way, the NGO ‘S do not ever let their opinions get mixed up with facts.

Therefore the only way to deal with that is to call them on this at every opportunity.

An example of this is how they have said Polar Bears are endangered, yet this is totally wrong in fact.

Wow. Was worth listening 2. I won't dive in the details, but it became painfully obvious what/who we are up against. Please guys go to your meetings coming up. This is very important, and will effect everyone.

It is extremely important people get the facts as there is a lot of emotion based opinions out there. There are many NGO groups that want our fishery shut down, and I was reminded of that when I listened in. :eek:

Remember we still are concerned about whales as well, and I do agree with NGO groups message on that. What I don't agree with is the drastic " close the fishery" idea that they seem obsessed with it. That won't do anything, and we all shouldn't be comfortable with the department if this is what they want to do just to make the issue go away.

This isn't just fishing it is everything such as : freighters, pollutants, predators, ecosystem etc. Northern Killer whales and Alaska Whales are on rise. They have same fisheries. So maybe there is something else going on we don't understand. We can only get through proper data, the correct facts, and not emotion.

The pictures of the healthy orcas compared to the emaciated ones did make me feel sick to the stomach about retaining chinook.

However, by the end after finding out that they are not making any material changes to escapement targets it sure feels like this is a ban on recreational fishing in targeted areas.

What I don't agree with is the drastic " close the fishery" idea that they seem obsessed with it. That won't do anything, and we all shouldn't be comfortable with the department if this is what they want to do just to make the issue go away.

Almost seems like they have teamed up with First Nations on it eh? Sure a great partner to have to push lots of their agendas

Sent emails out to the NGOs involved asking them to rethink this short sighted move. They need to join the sports fishing industry in tackling issues facing salmon stocks and further enhancement to create a long term solution to SRWK food availability.

One fact that I haven't seen discussed is that a massive portion of SRKW diet is hatchery produced Chinook. These fish are meant to provide angling opportunities and are mainly funded by the industry raised funds.

You ain't seen nothing yet, the "reconciliation" agenda is just getting ready to kick into high gear. Recreational fishers are easy cannon fodder - and, we are pretty pathetic when it comes to volunteering our time to get involved or join organizations that allow us to effectively speak with one voice.

Last edited:
Thank derby between this and the halibut we all need to band together more than ever for our and our kids future to take to the water for a day of fishing

Area 20 is one thing but Area 18 anglers really need to pay attention to what is coming up! If you think fishing regulations are bad now the entire side of Pender bluffs has been potentially marked for closure as an Orca forage area from May to Oct. That really will impact the Cowichan Bay/Sidney anglers in the area. Many fish there in August because all the inlet , Cow bay, Narrows, Sat Channel, etc are closed due to Cowichan River salmon restrictions. A lot of pain is going to be felt in this area in particular. If you fish around Pender island I would try to go to one of these meetings.

Back