emergency nav advice

aMonster

I'm in a bit of a time crunch here as the deposit on a new boat is in and they want to start outfitting options.

My quote has Lowrance Elite 7 Ti being installed for $1399.00 but I keep reading people recommending at least a 9" screen for best readability.

The problem is that to go up to the Lowrance 9" screen is $4199.00 installed, which is too big a jump in price for me. Can someone help me in a hurry with a quick recommendation? The marine dealer said if I can find another option, Garman or whatever, before they get to installing nav systems... they'll just charge me for the install.

I understand some people just use laptops with USB GPS antennas too... thoughts?

Electronics of any kind depends upon your set-up....one bridge or two, size of boat, distance of screen to down riggers, etc and most importantly your budget! Sounders/chart plotters are like computers when they first came out, every 3 months there is a newer version with more bells and whistles that you will probably never use. My conservative recommendation would be to buy the biggest screen you can afford with a few of the bells. It should last you for many years.

Thanks Steve, that looks more like it. Do you think it would be a good fit for a Sea runner 210?

Doesn't the new Elite Ti have built in Wifi with screen mirroring? Would be worth some research, but your screen size could be as large as your tablet / ipad....

I have the older Elite 7 HDI and the screen size is fine for me on my 18' boat. I use full screen chart for cruising with just the depth number showing. When I'm fishing I use the split screen with half sonar half chart.

One thing to thing about is the Elite does not have the capabilities to add radar, or at least it didn't. If your not splitting screens the Elite is fine, I would go for the biggest screen you can get. I would contact Harbour Chandler for all your electronic needs best service and prices and believe they will even set you up with someone to install.

Okay well it's good to know at least one person with a similar sized vessel is okay with the 7" screen. I'm not looking to jump through a bunch of extra steps if not needed. I mean they have the 7Ti instock and are ready to install it at the original quote price but... if someone were to tell me that the Garmin is soooo much more worth it?

Hey Casper, that is the thing... the Lowrance 9Ti is the upgrade I'd need if I wanted to add radar down the road, the 7Ti does not support it. The cost of the 9Ti is like $4199.00 and that is without the radar antenna, so while I'd be able to support radar, I'd still have to spend yet more to install it.

21' without radar fishing in Faugist might not be much fun?

Hey Casper, that is the thing... the Lowrance 9Ti is the upgrade I'd need if I wanted to add radar down the road, the 7Ti does not support it. The cost of the 9Ti is like $4199.00 and that is without the radar antenna, so while I'd be able to support radar, I'd still have to spend yet more to install it.

21' without radar fishing in Faugist might not be much fun?

I don't get the 4199.00 price for the 9 inch Elite Ti. You can buy a top of the line 9 inch Lowrance Carbon for under 3000.00 in BC, a 9Ti should be 1500 or so, depending on transducer.

My advice is shop around!

Last edited:
hrrm... that is interesting Barman, I sent some links to the dealer asking why their 9Ti was so much more, double transducers or something?

I'm starting wonder how difficult these things to install yourself now?

hrrm... that is interesting Barman, I sent some links to the dealer asking why their 9Ti was so much more, double transducers or something?

I'm starting wonder how difficult these things to install yourself now?

I am curious of their price quote as well, there's only a 2 or 3 hundred dollar difference between the 7 and 9 inch units at most places online, and the installation charge would be the same.

I misquoted the price on the Lowrance Carbon's they lowered the 9 inch by $600 US as of today, not sure how much Canadian Dealers will reduce.

These things come with instalation instructions, not real hard to install but it depend's on your skill level, and whether you are setting up networks etc.

I also agree with Shermanater, I always call Harbour Chandler first.

So I called up dealer and was told that the difference is between these 9Ti's and the one he was quoting me on was the ability to add radar later?

I'm a former computer tech and also have a construction background, so I should be able to install myself... just with all the balls I have in the air right now between work and personal commitments... was thinking how nice it would be to not have to do anything.

Last edited:
So I called up dealer and was told that the difference is between these 9Ti's and the one he was quoting me on was the ability to add radar later?

This is confusing, the 9 Ti according to Lowrance, doesn't have the ability to do radar?
I wonder what model he is quoting here?

The Carbons do everything, yet much cheaper than that 4199.00 price. In fact 4199.00 should get you within a few hundred bucks of a Carbon and a 3G radar!

Keep shopping.

The dealer just replied, he has revised the price and model number. He was quoting me an HDS-9 for $3,575.00 or the 9Ti for $1,599.00, both are installed prices.

The question now become, for roughly $2000 more, do I want the option to be able to add radar later? I do not know because I have never had radar.

Last edited:
The dealer just replied, he has revised the price and model number. He was quoting me an HDS-9 for $3,575.00 or the 9Ti for $1,599.00, both are installed prices.

The question now become, for roughly $2000 more, do I want the option to be able to add radar later? I do not know because I have never had radar.
You only need to use radar once to know its value! You know your fishing present and future needs best but after having radar and using it only a handful of times, I would never go without.

There are four models of HDS 9's, 3 of them are discontinued. The current model is the
HDS Carbon 9, theres nothing wrong with the earlier versions, it's just that they should be heavily discounted at this point. So make sure you know what he is quoting.

Theres two things I cannot live without in an MFD, Radar and Autopilot.

It will be very expensive if you need to upgrade later, and that Elite Ti has no ethernet connection to network with, if you do end up buying a radar capable display later. So think about your needs carefully, and hopefully that will save you some money in the long run.

Get a lowrance hds 9 carbon.

I just got it in my new boat this year and it's amazing. 2699 I believe then whatever they charge for install

Garmin is being sued by Lowrance again this year. I was in a friend's boat, he has a Garmin Stryker 5 combo unit. The GPS was a blank screen with a dotted line/ cookie crumb trail. Not impressed! Brought my Elite 5 with me and wired it in, clamped with C-clamps. He says " Wow, your GPS is way better than mine".

Back