Embarrassing moment,,, now I need advice

ILHG

Crew Member
Well, today was the only day I had to take the boat out and make sure everything was running good before I Leave for Haida Gwaii Next Friday. Its the first time in the water this year.

Was going about 30 MPH when I found a sand/gravel bar.... Worst sound and feeling I have ever had. I actually seen it a second before it happened. I killed the engine and trimmed it up. No oil leaking and everything appeared intact. Used the kicker to get to deeper water then tried the main again. Slight vibration over 3000 rpm. Odd noise once on plane that seems almost like the exhaust. I trimmed the motor down a bit and the noise went away.

Besides a new prop, do you have any concerns for the lower leg? Cosmetically its terrible.... I just don't want to get up to Haida

Attachments

• Resized_20190512_173336_9757.jpeg
    Resized_20190512_173336_9757.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Resized_20190512_173149_7740.jpeg
    Resized_20190512_173149_7740.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Resized_20190512_173153_9040.jpeg
    Resized_20190512_173153_9040.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 340
  • Resized_20190512_173133_4360.jpeg
    Resized_20190512_173133_4360.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 344
Get the prop fixed. Change the leg oil and check for any water. It could just be a bent prop causing the vibration.

I once hit a log that put a dent into the front of housing the size of a silver dollar. My dent was on the front exactly where you have that large scrape, it was pushed in a quarter inch or so. After changing the prop, and a little touch up paint, the dent stayed, and that motor ran perfect for the next 10+ years that I owned it. In my opinion, with a new prop you will most likely be fine.

I once hit a log that put a dent into the front of housing the size of a silver dollar. My dent was on the front exactly where you have that large scrape, it was pushed in a quarter inch or so. After changing the prop, and a little touch up paint, the dent stayed, and that motor ran perfect for the next 10+ years that I owned it. In my opinion, with a new prop you will most likely be fine.

That's great to hear! I feel much better hearing that.

****** news on hittin the sand bar but it happens.

I would have to call the vibration on that prop. Change it out I’ll just about guarantee it will smoothen out. The rest take a file and smoothen it out, use some J.B. Weld putty and form it and emery cloth and some touch up paint no one will be the wiser.

I once hit a pinnacle and carved up the prop, damaged skeg etc. New prop, a bit of skeg repair and everything worked fine. I think driveline damage is not very common with most hits. The forgiveness of aluminum props is apparently an advantage when these things happen. They deform and absorb damage more readily than stainless steel, thus sparing internal damage.

Is not an “if” but a “when” you are going to hit something.

Change out the prop and bump up the revs slow and steady....if you get that vibration again, shut her down immediately and bring her in to a shop

Have the prop with the bent fluke reworked by a prop guy and save it for a spare

Borrow a good prop and spin it by hand and look for any wobble which would indicate a bent prop shaft. A bent prop shaft can happen, I've tweaked one and SG was able to straighten it out and reinstall. (probably from hitting some wood at speed) The bent shaft wasn't noticeable as a vibation...it just caused the front shaft seal to leak and allow water into the gearcase...milky oil.

We hit a dead head on a river in Northern Ontario with a 25hp Johnson years ago, 26 kms downstream from the ramp WOT. It hit so hard the motor shot out of the water, and the cap flew off the motor into the boat. the wood of the dead head was impaled into the prop and it dead stopped the motor from full throttle. Wish i took a photo of it. Thought there was no leg left and a lot of oar work ahead of us when we pulled it up again but there it was all together with hardly a scratch and a destroyed prop so we just swapped out the prop with the spare on board and she was good to go. Ran for years after that with no required repairs. I even ran it on the ocean a decade after that for another 4 years then sold it. as far as I know, that motor is still running to this day (it's a 1985).

They are so tough.

Borrow a good prop and spin it by hand and look for any wobble which would indicate a bent prop shaft. A bent prop shaft can happen, I've tweaked one and SG was able to straighten it out and reinstall. (probably from hitting some wood at speed) The bent shaft wasn't noticeable as a vibation...it just caused the front shaft seal to leak and allow water into the gearcase...milky oil.

You sound like you will need a new prop for sure, and profisher is right, if that prop shaft is bent, you should get the work done asap, don't want that kind of worry heading up to the Charlottes. Also more chance of damage to the shaft if you are running a stainless prop. If the shaft is not bent, think about changing the outer seal(s) (sand may have damaged the seals)

Your keg looks bent in the photos. Probably prop causing vibrations - poor timing; you might consider a new prop then get this one fixed as a spare.

As mentioned JB weld, file it smooth and paint or use a Skeg guard.
I broke the tip off my skeg and the guard installed easy and looks great.

Am I the only one that follows some of these types of threads anxiously awaiting the diagnosis and never knowing the outcome?

Sorry guys. I am lucky with this one. My leg is good and I got my prop rebuilt. I'm impressed with the rebuild & it looks like new. My skeg is ugly, but it can wait until July when I pull the boat back.

Thanks to everyone for the input & advice

Back