Elk Lake

frequentSalmon9

Hey Guys

Can someone let me know, when is a good time to fish Elk Lake, also are there anymore lakes on the island that have bass?

Cheers!!!

Whenever you can get out is the best time to fish, I have been catching a few trout at elk, its probably been the best south island lake for me right now. I have been trolling plugs. Theres bass in most of the south island lakes, but they become super difficult to catch when it gets cold.

kunni

I always loved fishing Beaver in the spring for small mouth. Poppers and leach patterns along the lilly pads. Are Elk and Beaver still affected with the large green algae blooms? How about the cat fish in Elk?

I believe that there was an algea bloom last time I was at elk, (4 days ago). I have heard that there are bullheads in elk lake, but have never seen any. There are tons of carp, which I would always see when bass fishing in the summer. I never hooked one though.

kunni

Things defiantly slow down a little in the winter months, especially for bass but thats not to say its not worth getting out! A big fire on the beach, some smokies and wieners, a few brews, some good friends, and a couple bobber lines out sure beats sitting around home wondering how the fishing is!

Ew carp eh? Might be worth looking into targeting those... the trout would love ya for it and ive heard they make great fertilizer..

Hey Guys

Can someone let me know, when is a good time to fish Elk Lake, also are there anymore lakes on the island that have bass?

Cheers!!!

Thetis and Prospect are also good for bass, up island try Quennel Lake, slow going for bass this time of year though.
Oliphant Lake is another bass option if you don't mind the hike and generally small size bass.

Ew carp eh? Might be worth looking into targeting those... the trout would love ya for it and ive heard they make great fertilizer..

By all means, http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?10403-Elk-Lake-Carp
I'm surprised there are not many people targeting them...then again Elk Lake is more of an off leash dog park than anything else, a real pain if you're fishing from shore...

Last edited by a moderator:
Prospect is my favorite bass lake lots of big smallies there

kunni

Shawnigan Lake has some awesome small mouths. I've caught them up to 5-6lbs. in the summer there. Many 20-30 fish
days as well. The winter is a different story,as the fish go deep and are extreamely hard to get to bite. Not impossible,
but you really have to be patient.

What are you hitting the shawnigan smallies on? senko worms, plugs?

kunni

What are you hitting the shawnigan smallies on? senko worms, plugs?

kunni
Hey kunni. All I ever use in in Shawnigan are Yum Dingers. Clear with silver flecks and dark blue with gold flecks work best.
I Texas rig em and fish structure around the islands and shoreline starting in mid/late June. I haven't fished bass in the
winter months there yet,but know a couple of people that do. I believe they slow troll them in the deep holes on plugs on
the downrigger.
They don't get many this time of year,but enough to keep them interested.

thanks for your reply

kunni

I am new to Fishing Elk and beaver this last year. I have had lots of smallmouth out of beaver and have seen largemouth over 8 and 9 pounds. For me Shawnigan is by far my favorite lake for bass followed by Quennell Lake, Quennell Lake at night in the summer beats everything. As for the carp in Elk it would be nice to target them and get their numbers down but I haven't really met anyone who has had any luck catching more than one in a day. Is there any time of bait that they like to snack on. You can see them by the dozens swiming in the shallows. They are cool to listen to them jump at beaver at sunset though. There are some cool videos on youtube with people bow hunting for carp. Would love to try that here as you could get a lot of them in a day.

Rempy

I am new to Fishing Elk and beaver this last year. I have had lots of smallmouth out of beaver and have seen largemouth over 8 and 9 pounds. For me Shawnigan is by far my favorite lake for bass followed by Quennell Lake, Quennell Lake at night in the summer beats everything. As for the carp in Elk it would be nice to target them and get their numbers down but I haven't really met anyone who has had any luck catching more than one in a day. Is there any time of bait that they like to snack on. You can see them by the dozens swiming in the shallows. They are cool to listen to them jump at beaver at sunset though. There are some cool videos on youtube with people bow hunting for carp. Would love to try that here as you could get a lot of them in a day.

Rempy

gv0yY.png

:D

Rempy

Click the link in post #8 back on page 1.
Carp are easy to catch when temps warm up, not so much when it's cold.
Canned corn on a hook sitting on the bottom is your best bet IMO but they will also scoop up flys if you can drop them under their nose.
Worms, bread, hotdog and even Powerbait apparently work.
I have been 5 times and caught 3, 2, 1, 1 and 1, respectively.
That was in September 2012.
Bow fishing is illegal in zone 1.

Click the link in post #8 back on page 1.
Carp are easy to catch when temps warm up, not so much when it's cold.
Canned corn on a hook sitting on the bottom is your best bet IMO but they will also scoop up flys if you can drop them under their nose.
Worms, bread, hotdog and even Powerbait apparently work.
I have been 5 times and caught 3, 2, 1, 1 and 1, respectively.
That was in September 2012.
Bow fishing is illegal in zone 1.

*And even though Elk has huge large mouth... Big small mouth.. Giant carp..

Shawnigan has a nice fishery.

;)

So cobra, where abouts on elk lake do you fish from for carp? Should I bring my ocean rod with 20lb test since carp are large?

So cobra, where abouts on elk lake do you fish from for carp? Should I bring my ocean rod with 20lb test since carp are large?

I only fish from shore so anywhere that you can cast from along the trail directly across from the fishing dock(or on the fishing dock if you have a big net)
There is a good spot there that has a park bench but right now the lake level is high & the bench is in a few inches of water.
If you have a boat I'd say anywhere deep. They really aren't hard to find and there are lots of 'em but not very active in these temps.
Someone caught a huge one from the fishing dock 2-3 weeks ago on 6lb test. I usually caught ones half that size on 8lb test and had 1 snap really easy but landed the others I caught.
I have since upgraded to 12lb test but have not gone fishing with it yet, should still be a good fight.
I would suggest light equipment, just take your time they are big heavy fish !
I usually take 5-8 minutes to land one.
20lb test isn't going overboard, just might not be as fun(if you're patient !).
Slay some !

Back