Vince Palmer

Hi there, my wife and I are wondering is anyone is successful at Elk Lake. We have been consistently out there in our boat (Dusk and Dawn) and are not getting lucky at all. We have tried all areas of the lake, fished Len Thompson lures, hook and worms, soft plastics and jitterbugs. Smallies jumping out of the water all around us and all we are catching is little perch and the odd carp.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Hi there, my wife and I are wondering is anyone is successful at Elk Lake. We have been consistently out there in our boat (Dusk and Dawn) and are not getting lucky at all. We have tried all areas of the lake, fished Len Thompson lures, hook and worms, soft plastics and jitterbugs. Smallies jumping out of the water all around us and all we are catching is little perch and the odd carp.

Any help/advice is appreciated!
What are you trying to catch?

I found its seasonal for trout. Should be getting good soon. Theres lots of good info on South Island Lakes 2020 thread on this forum. I do well for trout slow trolling worm and split shot. If you want to find out where the bass are, I encourage you to put on a snorkel and mask and poke along the shore. There are some monsters there, really close in, sometimes swimming right on the beach among swimmers feet or among the sunken branches. Keep trying. The weather and the fishing will change soon.

I’ve never personally fished Elk but I know a friend of mine uses small plugs trolling fast in the middle for trout. Bass fishing on the island seems to be picking up popularity on the island with tournaments held on various lakes this year. I would join Vancouver Island Bass Fishing group on Facebook. Lots of people post and are more than willing to help out With advice.

Gangtroll and worm works great on Elk lake any time of year. Summer is tough as the water temp gets very warm. Oct and nov are very productive as the lake will cool down and turn over. Some like to just drop bait to the bottom and wait. The lake averages 35 to 40 ft deep. Troll north end or west side for best results. All this works well for us. Flies work well also if you have the gear.

Thank you all for your replies! We will try all of the above and be sure to get out there in Oct. We will also check out Vancouver Island Bass Fishing group.

Appreciate all of your time replying to the thread!

Back