Elk Lake Carp

highlights

Well , I want to start this thread for a good fishing partner of mine. He's normally goes by the way of "Fancy Pants" however we are leanig towards a new screen name of "Carp Chaser"

Man taking a carp on the fly has become somewhat of an obsession. We have all heard of the carp that were released in Elk/Beaver and Sproat systems. The Elk Beaver fish are now established beyond any doubt. On any given day ( provided you are in the right spot)you can see more than a thousand fish. Considering a single female can lay up to a million eggs there is no wonder what the numbers of fish will become in those two lakes.I would speculate the crop is in the hundred of thoudsands in Elk/ Beaver alone .I'll tell you what as well. These fish are in excess of 30lbs . They take a fly. They do not need to be chummed. You simply hunt the flats as if you were stalking their saltwater counter part, the bone fish or redfish. Basically any saltwater drum has similar habits and the fly you choose to throw should be presented in such a manner that a foraging fish can pick it out from other uprooted bottom debris. These are not predators so patience is key. Spooky yes, but what fun if you can become consistent with a fish that has found it's way into local waters. I am no advocate of invasive species. I am a trout and salmon fisherman to the core. I am simply trying to make the best of a crazy situation . Why the government has not put a bounty on these fish is beyond me. In the meantime lets see what we can find out about this fish. I say lets get to it guys. Who else wouldn't want to sight fish to a pod of 20+lb fish in 4' of water. I sure would.

HL
carp.jpg

Sorry guys, didn't mean to post here in the saltwater section.

My boat is in for a glass repair and my fishing partner and I headed to a local lake to fill the day with some giant hogs.

I'll repost in the freshwater section.

HL

Speaking of which, Like I said; I am a Salmon /Trout guy to the core. But casting to a monster like this can get your heart pounding.

This one is not local, but we have seen many in the range at Elk/ Beaver

Wow

giantcarp.jpg

I've caught 2 in the last couple of yearsn at Elk Lake, both by catch while trout fishing. A 17 pounder while trolling a Rapala on the highway side and a 14 using floating powerbait in the gap. Great fight, I just haven't been able to target them.

I understand these are not native fish guys ( as a respose to another poster) The point exactly. Why we are not asked to target them is crazy. I am afraid of the poison policy the province now has for lakes with evasisve species. Many large Rainbows and Bass will be destroyed in the process. This happened 12 years ago in Prospect lake. Now all you see is poor little farmed fish of 14" and less.

The speculation is that CRD originally introduced these fish as a means to control milfoil. Guess the rowers cried enough and this was the answer. Only problem is that the fish to be used should have been the Grass Carp. What we seem to have here however is the Common Carp.Ooohps! I am going to fish for them in the mean time. Cracking the code without chumming or baiting swims is the trick. These fish should not be in this lake.Traditional methods don't seem to be working. There is alot of food and the areas are deeper than the fish are normally accustomed to. The habits of these fish have adapted to this lake. New techniques need to be honed. I really want to become consistent with taking these things on the fly. Targeting is a blast but alot of work. Finding them actively foraging is 90% of the battle.

Be interesting to see what others may come up with.

Are you fishing these things from a boat? I'd love to take a shot at them. If anyone is going carping, I'd love to tag along for a lesson sometime. Maybe I'll go take a look sometime when it is too windy to put to sea. Any pointers on flies or locations?

Seems like alot of water needs to be covered on any given day. There is just so much potential holding areas in Both Elk and beaver. Yes we are sighting them from a boat. Actaully we are using pontoon boats that have a sighting platform built on them. Sometimes it's even a couple hours before a single cast is ever made. Once they are found however then a dozen casts can be made before they move off again. Definitely not like baiting the water and relying on them to move in like halibut. We are targeting them exactly like fishig for bone fish. Pitch it ahead of a feeding fish and hope it sucks it in.

I'm pretty sure you can bowhunt those suckers since they aren't gamefish as defined by the regs that's what some people used to do with them in Pitt Lake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

I would love to know more about carp in elk lake! Has anyone else ever tageted them? i looked up common methods on Youtube. and it seems fairly simple, just patience. Any more info would be awsome.

-steve

Right, that's it! I'm bringing out my old carp fishing gear! I fished for carp when I lived in Britain and I always looked at Elk lake and thought there must be some hiding!

Fair play for trying to get them on fly fishing gear, tracking them down would sure keep you busy. I usually fish two roads from shore and set them in holders with bite indicator alarms, sit back and read a book! Or I would float fish while I had a carp rod down. The carp move around the lake like cows grazing and they will eventually find your bait. I'm a bit confused about "chumming" the water as I read that it is illegal. I would normally use a catapult to bait the area, or a swimfeeder (a plastic cylinder with holes in it attached to the line above the leader), I wonder if this is considered chumming.

For bait I would use either bread and sweetcorn or Boilies (compressed bait balls) don't know if you can get them here or not. Anyway, I've got some relatives coming for a holiday here from Britain so I will ask them to bring some Boilies over with them and give it go.

Cheers

As Weinstein said, they are like cows and they usually stick to their daily/seasonal routes. Once you figure out which ways they travel over the day you can catch them quite easily. Corn, worms and boilies (google and you will find lots of recipes how to prepare them yourself) will catch them. They are warm water fish and hibernate in the winter. In the spring (April/May) they spawn and jump and roll in very shallow water early mornings near weed. They can be quite aggressive during spawning season and sometimes then take a spinner or rapala or so. Weed beds and lily pad patches in 4 - 10' of water are usually very good places to look and try for them. Fish close to bottom unless you see them picking insects and weeds from the surface. Look for gas bubbles or mud clouds rising from the bottom - usually signs of grazing carps. As the water cools carps move deeper. Watch out they are easily spooked. Loud voices and stomping and they are gone. Flyfishing for them must be fun but not the most productive way to get them. Meat is soft, bony and often tastes like mud.

Hey guys, I am hoping that My buddy Bill ( oohps, sorry to blow your cover:D) will chime in here. Like I said, I was wanting to start this thread on his behalf. He is not yet a member of this forum but has activley read our posts. I want to give him credit where due. Although I have always wanted to target these fish and have watched them steadily from the early days when they were stocked, my enthusiasm has obviously been passed on to Bill with this Carp thing. He is the one that has persevered by way of the flyrod. While I am at work, he (being semi retired), has done most of the leg work and has shown that carp on the fly is a reality. He has the pictures to prove it.;) Personally I would not be patient enough to stalk the weary carp of Elk with a flyrod. Well, no more than a few times anyways. I would throw down the regular boilies and hair rig to land one of these babies.That I will do until I have my share on the beach. Then once that was completed then I may just challenge myself with the fly caught carp. Not Bill, he's hooked. It must be the fly or forget about it!

Anyways, I am glad to see others interested in this accidental fishery. Personally I would like to hear what others may come up with as far as the local carp are concerned. I say more the merrier.

Lets keep this thread going,

and Bill , we are awaiting your involvement here. Lots of questions you need to answer.

PS bring pics!!!!! everyone. There are some hogs[:p]

Im pumped, hitting elk lake next tuesday, in the am, fingers crossed for no wind, will try some corn and bread, and somone also told me that dogfood works well. we shall see, C'mon Bill, we need to find out the tricks, sign up, we will greatly apreciate an avid fishermans knowledge on this forum!

-Steve P.S. Please bring Pics :D

Come on guys, we are talking about CARP!

What's wrong about talking about 5 to 8 pound cutties that used to inhabit this lake? Did you know that there was a creek on the N.W. end of Elk lake from which the old Fish and Game department took their cutthroat hatchery stock.

Now you have catfish, bass, perch, round tail rainbows and oh boy carp.
I am certain that with the "brain dead" mentality of some of our fellow citizens we will have carp comming to a lake near you in the not too distant future.

I hear what you are saying Big Bob. Elk has turned into a weird fish tank, which is unfortunate. I don't think anyone posting on this topic would choose to destroy a lake anywhere by introducing species. But since the carp are there, there is nothing wrong with targeting them, and maybe even reducing there numbers.

And on the topic of targeting carp, what sort of rig would be used to fish them with bait? Bobber, weight, small hook? Thanks.

Similar to fishing Powerbait on the bottom, but with corn and a piece of foam and a very short leader 8-10 inches.

Google it!

-steve

quote:Originally posted by Big Bob

Come on guys, we are talking about CARP!

What's wrong about talking about 5 to 8 pound cutties that used to inhabit this lake? Did you know that there was a creek on the N.W. end of Elk lake from which the old Fish and Game department took their cutthroat hatchery stock.

Now you have catfish, bass, perch, round tail rainbows and oh boy carp.
I am certain that with the "brain dead" mentality of some of our fellow citizens we will have carp comming to a lake near you in the not too distant future.

Back