Electric Outboard motors up to 300 HP. The wave of the future

oldtimer

With the crazy price of gas these days and it is going higher. I was surprised to find that there are several firms out there that are already ahead of the curve and are already making powerful electric outboard motors up to 300HP. Have any of the SFBC members had any experience with Electric Outboards and who sells them in BC?

Think about the challenges of battery size vs range in electric vehicles, now realize that a car is around 10 times more efficient in fuel economy compared to a similar weight boat. I don't think planing electric boats are likely until there is a radical advance in battery technology. Displacement boats on the other hand...

Look at it this way, a 5000lb Tesla car gets 300miles of range with a 1000lb battery. A 5000lb boat gets 300 miles of range with 100 gallons of fuel (600 pounds). At 1/10 the efficiency the boat would need a 10000lb battery to go the same distance by my figuring. Not exactly practical.

Last edited:
And you would be wrong! lol

You would think they would show the battery bank set up at least. And what's with no sound to the video except the cheesy Back to the Future sound track.

They show the electric motor in the video on the link in my last post. The engine is green in that video..but 180 HP and runs at 400 Volts

I dunno man. 400 volts ...how many amps? around water ... in rough seas... and the way people maintain stuff.. especially if all that electrical isn't kept up... i.e. connections
Not wanting to be a negative nancy ... but it will be along time before we see that in recreational boats

Butchart Gardens runs 4 electric boats all made by Duffy. They are just slow cruisers and have 16 batteries in each that only last 1 year. They have 4 boats because of the time it takes to recharge each one.

Butchart Gardens runs 4 electric boats all made by Duffy. They are just slow cruisers and have 16 batteries in each that only last 1 year. They have 4 boats because of the time it takes to recharge each one.

It’s one of my pet peeves with the Electric vehicle industry, the fact producing batteries isn’t green at all.

I love innovation, but the “Green” aspect at this point is sketchy.

It’s one of my pet peeves with the Electric vehicle industry, the fact producing batteries isn’t green at all.I love innovation, but the “Green” aspect at this point is sketchy.
Yes you start doing the math and that’s a lot of battery sales in one year. In their case I believe it is the rate a which they must charge them, is the reason they aren’t getting the life out of them.
I think with are salt air and people’s maintenance that we are a long ways off from seeing this working here.

.... actually a fat burning electric motor via head phone plug in soon

fat-man-boat.jpg

If you think about most close shore fishing applications...that 180 gets about 45 kms or 30 miles on a charge of the batteries they were using. If you had a regular 9.9 for your trolling motor...that 180 would get you to your local fishing spot and back no problem and troll all day on the kicker.

Are any of the major outboard manufacturers planning on getting into electric outboards anytime soon?

Why don't you send some emails to the big manufacturers instead of asking a random bunch of fishing dudes this question?

Because there are a lot of random fishing dudes on this forum that are more well informed that you might give them credit for and electric outboard motors like electric cars are in our future.

Last edited:
Back