Electric/Hydraulic Brakes - Trouble shooting help

AltaKen

Pulled the boat out of storage and hooked up trailer wiring harness. The dash mounted brake controller shows green light; indicating connection to the trailer. When I step on brake or use the manual over ride on the controller the light goes red indicating current should be going to the hydraulic pump for the trailer brakes. Problem is pump is not starting up as I can't hear the high pitched whine it normally makes when working. Any suggestions as how best to trouble shoot would be appreciated.

Not trying to be rude, but if you cant figure out where to put volt meter leads, take it to a mechanic. It should be simple to figure out.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Found the problem after much difficulty. Used the volt meter to determine the hot wire going to the trailer's hydraulic pump was discontinuous. The wire from the trailer plug in to the pump was ok so it had to be the truck's plugin or the truck wiring. The power in/out through the 7 pole plug on the truck was continuous. I then ran a separate fused hot wire to respective pole on the 7 wire plug and the hydraulic pump came on. So it had to be the truck's hot wire was broken somewhere; but how to find it? When the truck was new the dealer spliced in another 7 wire connection for a camper outlet. So that's where I started. The broken wire was enclosed in protective cover so wasn't readily seen. Had to undo wiring harness, unwrap electrical tape, remove a few tie wraps and expose wiring from protective cover. Only then did I discover the broken wire. The dealer cheaped out and did not use heat shrink crimped connectors. All showed some evidence of corrosion but the hot wire was the worst and there appeared to be pull apart stress on the hot wire connection as it was shorter than the other wires. Anyway I redid all the connections with solder and heat shrink. Good to go now.

AltaKen,
Glad your were able to fix the problem yourself without taking it in to have it fixed, the cost of repairs now a days is not cheap. I'm having trailer light grief right now myself but will be changing all the lights and the wires so that will fix that. Welcome to the forums too.... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Back