Electric fishing reels. anyone use em?

Sangstercraft

I heard of a guy fishing real deep - 400-600 feet - and figured that'd be a fun thing to try. He used an electric reel (I assume to make checking the bait a bit faster? probably not used to reel the fish up) with braid. Has anyone used one? Any brand recommendations? My boat is crammed with gear but apparently I need a bit more o_O

I heard of a guy fishing real deep - 400-600 feet - and figured that'd be a fun thing to try. He used an electric reel (I assume to make checking the bait a bit faster? probably not used to reel the fish up) with braid. Has anyone used one? Any brand recommendations? My boat is crammed with gear but apparently I need a bit more o_O

Daiwa Tanacom 500. $799 plus line plus change the plug to work with your Scotty plug. There's also a 1000 but it's pretty large. I believe you can only use the electric part to check your bait and when you have a fish you have to manually reel in.

Berrys Bait and Tackle has them.

Info here from Daiwa;

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/tanacom500/index.html

I've not tried one yet but I've been thinking about it...

I use a Diawa Tanacom 1000. I absolutely love it. I have had amazing Halibut fishing at ~ 600'. I also have been doing some deep dropping and getting sablefish & Shortraker.

I saved a ton and got it New on Ebay. Also lots of deals south of the boarder even after exchange and shipping.

I just picked up a Shimano beastmaster 9000 that I am itching to try. Its truly a beast.

Just sold 2 Diawa Seaborg 500’s, great reels, no issues. Used the Scotty twist lock plugs. Just keep them clean and oiled and they should last for years. DFO said they where legal when I bought them about 10 years ago.
Best Hali reels I ever had.
Stosh

I use a Diawa Tanacom 1000. I absolutely love it. I have had amazing Halibut fishing at ~ 600'. I also have been doing some deep dropping and getting sablefish & Shortraker.

I saved a ton and got it New on Ebay. Also lots of deals south of the boarder even after exchange and shipping.

I just picked up a Shimano beastmaster 9000 that I am itching to try. Its truly a beast.

Which rod do you use with the Tanacom 1000? I see the 1000 is a fair bit heavier than the 750. Would the 750 be enough in most conditions or is there a good reason to bump up to the 1000? This is all new to me but would like to target deep so just want to know pros and cons and good reel / rod combos before buying. Thanks.

I have two 750's which I need as a result of back damage caused by Cancer which resulted in part of a rib and two vertebra being eaten away, one of which has collapsed. I do my best to play the actual Halibut but could not handle that and all the ups and downs from 200 to 300 feet for removing dog fish and bait checking. Having these reels is a reasonable accommodation for me and allows me to continue to fish Halibut. Really great reels and by far the best for value.

Last edited:
Which rod do you use with the Tanacom 1000? I see the 1000 is a fair bit heavier than the 750. Would the 750 be enough in most conditions or is there a good reason to bump up to the 1000? This is all new to me but would like to target deep so just want to know pros and cons and good reel / rod combos before buying. Thanks.

The 1000 is big and bulky. I believe I got it so I could go deep dropping (dont actually recall how much more line it holds than a 750?). I do know the 1000 holds just over 2000' of line. The 750 is more likely the best fit. I would check the
Stats and confirm which will work better.
Personally I have heard a lot of folks happy with the 750 model.

As for the rod, I have been using a Shimanao Trevela. It's worked good. This year I picked up the conventional deep drop rods with the roller guides to try out. The reason is because of the weight involved when fishing over 3000'.

Very cool!! I guess you just wait for calm/no current days, use a lot of weight and then backtroll when needed? circle hooks and octopus?

Very cool!! I guess you just wait for calm/no current days, use a lot of weight and then backtroll when needed? circle hooks and octopus?

I pick my weather & back troll as needed. I like to be moving ~1.5 MPH so I can cover ground. Currents are what they are, it seems once you get down deeper it dosent effect it as much. As for gear, its super sharp circle hooks & I use LED lights. No Light no bite. However some quality glow hoochie's would work im sure. To date I have used the Lighthouse lure LED small squid & hoochies. So far they have worked.

The 2 set ups that I have used have been a spreader bar with a 7" LED squid (see attachment). I have also taken the same rig with e LED squid on a spreader bar & added a ~6' leader above my spreader bar with a couple of glow hoochies on circle hooks (see attachment). I made some with some small B2 squids & they look killer with super brite glow.

This year I picked up some Deep drop lights they use for swordfish & will be attaching that to the top of my leader. For bait small peice of salmon belly works great.

Attachments

• 61S2nA6sZhL._SY741_.jpg
    61S2nA6sZhL._SY741_.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20170918_161748_preview.jpg
    20170918_161748_preview.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 91

Attachments

• $able.jpg
    $able.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180615_103123_resized.jpg