Economics of BC Fisheries

chris73

Just reading through the BC Outdoors Jan 2010 issue and came across some interesting numbers. Just posting this for anyone looking for some numbers in the future to use in discussions:
- "...BC tidal waters, which generates approx. 170,000 jobs and contributes over 10 billion $ to GDP." by Michelle Manson, SFI Annual Conference 2009

-"...the 2005 survey (National Recreational Fisheries Survey) showed our recreational fisheries generated 1.5 billion $ to our economy." by Bill Otway, 2010 National Recreational Fisheries Survey Set To Begin

C'mon Barbender your glass is half empty on this one. All the more reason to protect, preserve and enhance for the benefit of future generations. There are way too many good reasons to keep healthy wild salmon populations.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Um Whole I believe the term is called Sarcasm. The point I was making is that because of it's value it will destroyed through over exploitation and mis management. Trust me the last thing I want to see is this all gone before my children grow up.

Back