Eco Groups Want Emergency protection for Resident Orcas!

Yeah, that's why they are endangered now after hundreds of thousands of years , they became lazy. Really?

The SRKW have been around for hundreds of thousands of years that’s news to me.

Belly rubbing is unique to the Northern residence killer whales. Their population is increasing and their diets are more diverse.

Glade to see them down here taking advantage of the fish

Edit: Deleted the part about them eating seals as GLG pointed out they do not.

Last edited:
The SRKW have been recorded as far north as the northern tip of Haida Gwai in the past. Not often and not sure which of the 3 pods it was, most likely L or K as Granny would never take J's that far.

This thread should be focused on the Endangered sports fishermen, I would ask what the Endangered Grizzly bear hunter has to say but their all but extinct.

The SRKW have been around for hundreds of thousands of years that’s news to me.

Belly rubbing is unique to the Northern residence killer whales. Their population is increasing and their diets are more diverse.

Glade to see them down here taking advantage of the fish and seals in the SOG

Do you have some proof that they eat seals as I for one would like to see it.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/campaign-c...-loi-sur-les-peches/proposed-propose-eng.html

This is great news over all but they now have the power needed to create marine refuges

Before changes:

"No provisions specifically designed to create marine refuges"

after changes

" better ability to protect biodiversity in the long-term"

"No provisions specifically designed to create marine refuges"

New changes:

"Ability to create long-term area-based restrictions on fishing activities to protect marine biodiversity"

It seems like instead of managing fisheries, they now manage the environment.

What will this mean for recreational fishermen?

Last edited:
Proposed changes to the Fisheries Act
An amended Fisheries Act would recognize that when making decisions under the Act, the Minister can take into account:

• social, economic and cultural factors
  • the preservation and promotion of an independent inshore commercial fishery as in Atlantic Canada and Quebec
The proposed Act would clarify that regulations can be made to enshrine aspects of the inshore fisheries policies in regulations, including rules that:

• help ensure that the holder of a licence retains the benefits generated by fishing
  • ensure that only the licence holder personally fishes using that licence
  • support the Fleet Separation Policy by prohibiting certain types of corporations from holding licenses in the inshore sector
  • allow the suspension or cancellation of licences where licence holders are party to an agreement that violates any part of the Act or regulations
These proposed changes to the Fisheries Act would:

• protect middle-class jobs and coastal communities by helping to keep the benefits from fishing in the hands of the harvesters and local communities
  • strengthen the implementation of the owner-operator and fleet separation policies

ensure that only the licence holder personally fishes using that licence

Thanks the east coasters for this one http://www.cbncompass.ca/news/minister-announces-changes-to-federal-fisheries-act-183733/

“We have worked closely with our fellow harvester organizations in Atlantic Canada to present a clear argument for greater and better enforced protections for independent fish harvesters,” he said. “Today’s announcement is proof that our efforts are worthwhile. “

• protect middle-class jobs and coastal communities by helping to keep the benefits from fishing in the hands of the harvesters and local communities
  • strengthen the implementation of the owner-operator and fleet separation policies

It will be a Cold Day in Hell when this strategy is applied on the West Coast.
And Jimmy will be there a couple days early, or No Go.

Cheers,
Nog

It will be a Cold Day in Hell when this strategy is applied on the West Coast.
And Jimmy will be there a couple days early, or No Go.

Cheers,
Nog

Yes, I agree.
Someone show us wrong, please.

I'm with Nog, I do not think the owners of quota will allow that in BC, especially with current Gov.

I would guess that if there were not enough chinook or any fish species for the killer whales to eat they would adapt and change their diet to survive before all starving to extinction? Just my idea. I still say constant daylight harassment has more negative impact. Poor whales, maybe emotions should stop all whale watching (harassment) so they may eat.

HM

Well I say too bad for Jimmy! We, the citizens can lobby and pressure the govt to apply this to the west coast. Nothing stops us from doing this other than our own lack of action!

The grape vine just said DFO just dropped a bomb on this issue!!! Possible closures in JDF to Fraser river from May to September.

Ask your SFAC rep and get involved.

Back