Eating Your Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.
My interpretation is that the fish is technically still in your possession until it arrives at your home, although thats just a wild guess. It could very well be that once the processor receives the fish your possession limit would be cleared but I wouldnt want to say that as if its absolute fact - I really have no idea. A lot of guests at the lodge will send their fish for processing, but they are sent out at the end of their trip and nobody gets more than their possession limit. Youre also still subject to daily and annual limits so whether you send it for processing or not, you still end up with the same amount of fish.
Yes

I have to say that I am continually shocked and disappointed at the lack of understanding of the regulations and straight up illegal and unethical behaviour shown by some on this forum who are shown as "well known members" By all means, Keep your limits...But Stop looking for loopholes and "grey" areas to harvest more fish..

CRGreg

Those rules were imposed years ago because people would literally set up their own personal smokeshacks and canneries at fish camps and kill/can/smoke as much as they could. Your daily limit is a static number and has nothing to do with the fish you eat during the course of the day. The possession limit is generally twice the daily limit (though not always).

DFO back in the day traced americans doing this back to florida selling there sport caught canned bc fish in some florida farmers markets.

Limits (d/p/a)
(d) Daily limit
The maximum number of a given fish species that a person is allowed to keep in one day.
(p) Possession limit
The maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time, except for what is at your ordinary residence.
(a) Annual limit
The total amount of fish of a certain species that may be caught and retained during the course of a fishing year which commences on April 1 and ends the following March 31.

so
d daily= fish i did not eat, so catch your limit go ashore eat one. then go fishing and and replace it. then go home with your daily limit
p possesion after i eat it i am no longer in possession. i have never had my cooler checked and asked how many are in my belly

so you Dudes are wrong!!!! only differance is a fish that counts on your licence and is recorded
this is wrong sir.

i have and will continue to bbq a coho every trip i am on and take my possession. i will never have on my boat more than my daily limit, and will not posses more than my possession limit
You cant kill 5 coho in a day just because you ate one for lunch. The daily limit of a species is exactly that, the daily limit.

No Luck, The information isnt wrong, However, Your interpretation of it is.

so
d daily= fish i did not eat, so catch your limit go ashore eat one. then go fishing and and replace it. then go home with your daily limit
p possesion after i eat it i am no longer in possession. i have never had my cooler checked and asked how many are in my belly

so you Dudes are wrong!!!! only differance is a fish that counts on your licence and is recorded

Your Daily Limit is How Many Fish You Are Allowed To Kill in A Day... You can NOT replace the one you ate..

CRGreg

No Luck, Let me simplify this for you....
The Daily Limit on your Bank Card is $500. You take out $500 in the morning.. You spend $100. You cannot go back to the Bank machine and take out another $100 to get back to $500 BECAUSE YOU HAVE REACHED THE DAILY LIMIT.

No Luck, The information isnt wrong, However, Your interpretation of it is.

so

Your Daily Limit is How Many Fish You Are Allowed To Kill in A Day... You can NOT replace the one you ate..

CRGreg
i disagree, it all hinges on the meaning of "keep" it says you are allowed to "keep" according to the dictionary "keep" is to be in possesion off or to keep something . so if i eat it, i am not in possession anymore

how that is right from dfo[/QUOTE]
The DFO regulations are clear but your interpretations are incorrect.

The daily limit is the number of a given species that you can legally retain on a given day.
The possession limit is in regards to fish that you have retained but not yet brought home to your legal residence.
In most cases the possession limit is twice the daily limit.
Any fish you eat will have been retained.
Any fish that you have retained but have not eaten or taken to your home is counted towards your possession limit.

You can eat a coho and still bring 8 coho home with you legally, but only if your trip is 3 days or longer, and you retain no more than 4 cohos on any given day, and at no point in time do you possess more than 8 coho.

i disagree, it all hinges on the meaning of "keep" it says you are allowed to "keep" according to the dictionary "keep" is to be in possesion off or to keep something . so if i eat it, i am not in possession anymore
How the **** are u gonna eat a fish u didnt keep?

i have lived off the land for months and ate alot of fish, but was never outside of my limits

Nuh uh.
Keep means you did not release. You kept it. Then ate it.

I call BS.
It don't matter what DFO says, it is what the regulation says, and they say:

Possession
  • 13 (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species, other than halibut, except at the person’s ordinary residence, than twice the daily quota for fish of that species prescribed by these Regulations.

• (2) No person shall possess more than 3 halibut, except at the person’s ordinary residence.
14 No person on board a vessel shall possess any halibut taken by sport fishing if there are any other fish on board the vessel that are destined for sale, trade or barter.

What are you calling BS? If I go to Kyuquot next month and we feed the family with a fresh spring that I have marked down on my license for each of the 4 nights......I can't mark on my license that I have killed 8 but 4 are now in the septic system.

I am just repeating what an inquiry to DFO brought back. Can you show in the regs where it says you are fine to go away on your boat for a 2 week trip and write down any more than 4 springs on your license? Good luck explaining that to an officer who notes that you bonked 2 springs 4 days in a row but you ate a bunch.

What are you calling BS? If I go to Kyuquot next month and we feed the family with a fresh spring that I have marked down on my license for each of the 4 nights......I can't mark on my license that I have killed 8 but 4 are now in the septic system.
I think you’d have some explaining to do
to articulate your trip length and how the daily limits fit into that and that they match the recorded catch dates for the springs on your licence for the trip. But based on what CRGreg has said (he is reputable) as long as your dailies were adhered to and marked correctly and your physical possession of springs checks out as being within the PL for that area, and you’re not over your listed annual limit for Chinook, likely all would be copasetic.

Pippen, Happens all the time. You might be questioned on the whereabouts of the recorded fish, but as long as you havent caught more than each days limit, have them recorded correctly, and your answers are reasonable.. If one guy claims that they ate 4 Chinook in two days, that isnt reasonable or believable. To have eaten one is completely reasonable . You shouldnt have any issue.

CoastalMarineSafety..... Reputable.... I like that :)

CRGreg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back