Eating Your Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's stopping someone from dropping all their fish off at the processor and having at it again?
My interpretation is that the fish is technically still in your possession until it arrives at your home, although thats just a wild guess. It could very well be that once the processor receives the fish your possession limit would be cleared but I wouldnt want to say that as if its absolute fact - I really have no idea. A lot of guests at the lodge will send their fish for processing, but they are sent out at the end of their trip and nobody gets more than their possession limit. Youre also still subject to daily and annual limits so whether you send it for processing or not, you still end up with the same amount of fish.

No like if you're on a trip and you catch your limit in the morning, eat one for lunch and then go back out and get another one because you're now no longer in "possession" of that fish.

I have it directly from DFO in an email a year or two ago. ANY fish you consume while away goes against your possession limit; you have to return to your primary residence before a new possession limit comes into play.

I will be in Kyuquot for 5 days in August. I can't eat a whole fish every night and open up room on my possession dance card.

So what's stopping someone from dropping all their fish off at the processor and having at it again?

I would think that technically at that point you have likely returned to your home address so should be good.

Contrary to what a certain Nootka resort was telling people and again I confirmed with DFO that even though they have a licensed processing facility over there and if there for 4 days you CANNOT keep 2 possession limits if the first has been processed while you are there.

I have it directly from DFO in an email a year or two ago. ANY fish you consume while away goes against your possession limit; you have to return to your primary residence before a new possession limit comes into play.

I will be in Kyuquot for 5 days in August. I can't eat a whole fish every night and open up room on my possession dance card.
This is what I remembered. Perhaps it was you that said it.

I call BS.
It don't matter what DFO says, it is what the regulation says, and they say:

Possession
  • 13 (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species, other than halibut, except at the person’s ordinary residence, than twice the daily quota for fish of that species prescribed by these Regulations.

• (2) No person shall possess more than 3 halibut, except at the person’s ordinary residence.
14 No person on board a vessel shall possess any halibut taken by sport fishing if there are any other fish on board the vessel that are destined for sale, trade or barter.

That being stated in black and white, the Fisheries Act (Canada) and the regulation, BC Sports Fishing Regulation SOR/96-137, could be amended in the other 43 regulations of the FA.
The Act, the regulations, the DFO website, all other DFO communications and DFO science is a bafflegag. No reasonable member of the public can make sense of any of it!

Eating and then expelling said fish through your anus will make you unpossessed of said fish.
I will take that any day to any judge.

That being stated in black and white, the Fisheries Act (Canada) and the regulation, BC Sports Fishing Regulation SOR/96-137, could be amended in the other 43 regulations of the FA.
The Act, the regulations, the DFO website, all other DFO communications and DFO science is a bafflegag. No reasonable member of the public can make sense of any of it!

Eating and then expelling said fish through your anus will make you unpossessed of said fish.
And so the debate goes on.

Yeah, I know.
The common law, cases brought before the court, can interpret statutory law.
The plain meaning of possession will rule, unless interpreted differently by the court.
I have not seen this, but I have not seen many things.

Yes that is why you almost never see any tickets written for people keeping more than their daily limit. Almost all the tickets are for people keeping more than their possession limit. Its nearly impossible to prove unless the people admit to it.

That's Why when sockeye fishing is hot on the river it was not uncommon for people to go out catch their daily limit then come back and do it all again. In order to catch them DFO has to document them keeping each fish and then trace each of those fish back to the person. They have to prove continuity

There are so many loopholes.
It is very difficult to catch and successfully prosecute offenders.
I did the prosecution side for years.
That is why DFO officers should refrain from making their own, unsupported, interpretations.
I am very supportive of front line DFO officers.

Dude, you're wrong here. You can't catch a fish, BBQ it on the boat/beach, and then go back and start again.
WRONG... Daily Limit is what you caught today.. doesnt matter if you've eaten it, given it away or whatever, You can only catch your limit. It might be tough to prove... but its illegal and unethical.

CRGreg
Limits (d/p/a)
(d) Daily limit
The maximum number of a given fish species that a person is allowed to keep in one day.
(p) Possession limit
The maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time, except for what is at your ordinary residence.
(a) Annual limit
The total amount of fish of a certain species that may be caught and retained during the course of a fishing year which commences on April 1 and ends the following March 31.

so
d daily= fish i did not eat, so catch your limit go ashore eat one. then go fishing and and replace it. then go home with your daily limit
p possesion after i eat it i am no longer in possession. i have never had my cooler checked and asked how many are in my belly

so you Dudes are wrong!!!! only differance is a fish that counts on your licence and is recorded

Limits (d/p/a)
(d) Daily limit
The maximum number of a given fish species that a person is allowed to keep in one day.
(p) Possession limit
The maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time, except for what is at your ordinary residence.
(a) Annual limit
The total amount of fish of a certain species that may be caught and retained during the course of a fishing year which commences on April 1 and ends the following March 31.

so
d daily= fish i did not eat, so catch your limit go ashore eat one. then go fishing and and replace it. then go home with your daily limit
p possesion after i eat it i am no longer in possession. i have never had my cooler checked and asked how many are in my belly

so you Dudes are wrong!!!! only differance is a fish that counts on your licence and is recorded

No way man. Keep means bonk. You can only bonk a certain number of fish.

No way man. Keep means bonk. You can only bonk a certain number of fish.
i have and will continue to bbq a coho every trip i am on and take my possession. i will never have on my boat more than my daily limit, and will not posses more than my possession limit

There are so many loopholes.
It is very difficult to catch and successfully prosecute offenders.
I did the prosecution side for years.
That is why DFO officers should refrain from making their own, unsupported, interpretations.
I am very supportive of front line DFO officers.

What happens in courts is anything. I know of one judge that ruled possession took place at the time of netting the fish because the judge wanted to charge the guide and not the guest.

Im not wrong. Your daily limit is how many fish you may catch in a day. If you eat one in the field or at camp that is up to you but you still need to stay within the daily limit. You can NOT go out and catch another one that day because you have eaten it.

Your Possession Limit is how many fish you can have in your possession. Irrespective of what day you caught them. Once a fish is eaten .. it is no longer in your possession.
It is important to remember that it is still in your possession UNTIL it is eaten though... The one on the barbeque counts until its eaten
This has nothing to do with recorded fish or not recorded fish.

CR Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back