Dummy flasher help.

You will catch more fish with an inline flasher, case closed.

IF you are satisfied diminishing your chances try running a 6 ft lead on your dummy flasher, 10 ft above and about 10-12 ft behind the clip. I lower a little slower, trolling a little faster until I get the gear down

I think it's one of those things that most guys will fish the inline during the winter months to get whatever small fraction of an advantage they can but come summer when you're all over them you might as well go for the better fight. Plus I've heard that the big fish are more gear shy so if you're targeting a trophy fish the dummy setup with a giant herring or spoon can refine what you're targeting. Just what I've heard, please don't **** on me.
That part about the big fish isn’t true in my humble opinion

Some sloppy terminology being used here

Paddle Flasher

DW78xxx.jpg

In-Line Flasher

SUNSPOT_UV_KoneZone_Trolling_Flasher_With_a_Fl._Chartreuse_Tip__49372.1531422743.jpg

but a paddle can be used "in line"
a dummy is a dummy.

Some sloppy terminology being used here

Paddle Flasher

DW78xxx.jpg

In-Line Flasher

SUNSPOT_UV_KoneZone_Trolling_Flasher_With_a_Fl._Chartreuse_Tip__49372.1531422743.jpg
I knew someone would say that lol. In the context of the conversation "in line" meaning on your fishing line vs. a dummy on your rigger line. Which I realize stirs up all kinds of confusion because most guys use In-line flashers as dummies :confused:o_O

I guess “attached to the line” flasher is the most accurate, but it’s a mouthful. And “online flasher” suggests very inappropriate internet activity! I think we all know what is being discussed.

Speaking for myself, even if running dummies is slightly less productive I’m sticking with it (unless running hoochies). The sporting experience is so much better, it’s worth it. Guys will spend lots of bucks on high end reels (the “drag experience”) or high end rods (the “action experience”) when the best thing you can do to enhance the fight is to dump the flasher off the line.

To each his own.

I guess “attached to the line” flasher is the most accurate, but it’s a mouthful. And “online flasher” suggests very inappropriate internet activity! I think we all know what is being discussed.

Speaking for myself, even if running dummies is slightly less productive I’m sticking with it (unless running hoochies). The sporting experience is so much better, it’s worth it. Guys will spend lots of bucks on high end reels (the “drag experience”) or high end rods (the “action experience”) when the best thing you can do to enhance the fight is to dump the flasher off the line.

To each his own.
Ummmm, these days it's to each THEIR own lol. :rolleyes:

To each his own.

there are ways to make hoochies productive with a dummy flasher. The one I like best is the squid devil from Scotty. Its like putting a little flasher in the hoochie. Have fished them for years. I hate in line flashers!

we got a small box of golf tee looking and mini clip on planers, built for hootchies in a commercial tackle deal we bought. the other is same kind of hootchie teaser is the jug head. I have tried them all on the banks with no flasher and it is effective and fun/sporting for sure.

In the deep it's 50/50 Glow/UV balls, big plugs and big spoons all the way. Unless I am in 80 ft. of water working towards structure as sallow as 15 ft. top to bottom. Then it's an entirely different game for me. Slip sinkers and mooching weights using smaller profile lures. :)
Nice balls

Awesome examples. Just curious if you find the number of beads you're using affects the motion due to the weight?
No they're tiny things they add a bit of weight but any difference is negligible especially when trolling speed varies with tides/currents/whatever.

I've experimented a lot with running dummy vs inline flashers. Im on the north coast so maybe a difference from you southern guys but I find there is no difference in strike/hookup rate between the two. There was so little difference that I almost exclusively fish dummy's now. I typically fish 1 Kone Zone and a couple of blade flashers. I run a 36-48" leader off the ball and rarely tangle. I always run a scotty snubber to the ball and hook my 60" release clip to the top swivel of the snubber. I clip my bait in about 15' back of the clip. When your gear is in the water, your main line will pull the clip up and away from your dummy flasher preventing tangles. Gotta make sure you drop your gear at a controlled rate though(no free fall). I find with this setup my bait/spoon is close enough to my flasher to be effective but far enough away to not tangle. We fish at max 80ft so maybe won't work for you southern guys as I kown you get up to 220ft deep.

Last edited:
You will catch more fish with an inline flasher, case closed.

IF you are satisfied diminishing your chances try running a 6 ft lead on your dummy flasher, 10 ft above and about 10-12 ft behind the clip. I lower a little slower, trolling a little faster until I get the gear down

Based on some of the other posts, I’m not sure you can say case closed. Looks like others’ experiences suggest that dummy flashers will do just as well.

Back