Dummy flasher help.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Steve95, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Steve95

Steve95 Member

After starting trolling this year, I really hate having all the extra drag on the line when playing fish, I also find the acrobatics of the fish way better with no flasher. So I have been trying to use dummy setups off the ball instead but I get a crazy amount of tangles where the line from the flasher wraps around the tuna cord and my line. I started off with about 5-6ft of heavy mono and then tried shortening to about 4ft but still seem to get lots of tangles so can they be a lot shorter? I am using an assortment of flashers, usually 11" and have also tried some shorter ones, and they seem to have quite a lot of rotation so, is there a different style of flasher that is supposed to be used ? I have tried just not using the flasher but I get way less hits without the flasher somewhere in the mix. I look around at other boats and most seem to run the flasher off the rod but I read comments about dummy flashers instead and it is nice not to have all that drag on the line. Also, how high above the flasher should my release clip be placed ? The rigs I bought are pre-crimped to the tuna cord but I can tie them up and clip a release on at a different height instead.

2. Che

Che Active Member

They're tangling because you need to put your mainline clip higher up the downrigger line. Put the ball in the water, send it down five feet and you'll see what a big circle the flasher is making. You need your mainline out of that arc. Speed, current and turns can change all that, but 5' usally enough space to avoid tangles. YMMV

Go.Fish and Steve95 like this.
  3. goitzy

goitzy Member

I usually use a KoneZone daisy chain or similar system and run my mainline 3 to 4 feet above it. Had great success with it so i have never tried just using a regular flasher.

NootkaSounder and Steve95 like this.
  4. kevind

kevind Active Member

if your dummy flasher is 4 ft from your cable i would put your line at least 4 feet up above the flasher but im sure there are more people with better experience than me on the subject.

Steve95 likes this.
  5. nicnat

nicnat Active Member

you need a couple of very good swivels on your dummy with that heavy leader, at least one good bead chain and one good sampo swivel. you should be able to run just up off the ball with that set up with no tangles. as mentioned above your clip to your fishing line needs to be at least the length of your dummy leader above it.

Go.Fish, Steve95 and fishizzle like this.
  6. Steve95

Steve95 Member

Ok thanks, that gives me a few things to try. I never thought about better swivels but yes they seem like they bind and the line gets badly twisted up.

7. Go.Fish

Go.Fish Active Member

Other things to keep in mind is if you are going really slow (less than 2 knots) while getting your gear down and also if you like to drop your gear really fast that can also cause this issue.

trophywife, Steve95 and Stizzla like this.
  8. Tugcapitan

Tugcapitan Well-Known Member

My thought too, perhaps you’re dropping the ball down a bit too fast if the dummy is getting tangled in your line. You can control the desent with the brake or with your thumb on the spool for the tangles, and like was mentioned the swivels to prevent the line twisting.

Steve95 likes this.
  9. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

First off you should use an inline flasher-no whip like a regular 11 inch flasher. Next make sure the flasher cannot reach the kicker-no matter what!! Put your release clip at least the length of your dummy above it. Let your gear down slowly. CR is tough with the currents so make sure the lengths are sufficient so nothing can touch-no matter what!

Steve95 likes this.
  10. Steve95

Steve95 Member

I don't have an issue with it geting into the kicker but after checking my gear, my release is obviously not high enough above the flasher and I think I am probably letting it down too fast. Will try a couple of changes next time and look at getting a couple of those inline flashers with no whip. Thanks for all the help.

11. casper5280

casper5280 Well-Known Member

If your dummy flasher has s 5 ft leash your release clip has to be a least 5 ft higher

Rain City likes this.
  12. Rain City

Rain City Well-Known Member

Science

13. trophywife

trophywife Well-Known Member

or common sense.. lol

Stoisy and Rain City like this.
  14. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

IT'S not that common!! LOL

trophywife and blindmonkey like this.
  15. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Active Member

The biggest trick to dummies, is keeping them short and to have your next DR line attachment at least the same total length as the dummy set up. If used for sockeye or chum, create the ladder effect by keeping all flashers(inline or standard) as close as possible to the DR line and spread multiple dummies equally the distance apart as the overall length of your set up. Then stagger your other DR to offer a schooling effect. The length of a clip and swivel hooked onto the head of the flasher is fine. Keep in mind when using standard flashes that there is a lot more action transitioned onto the clip at the DR line than what a rotational inline flasher would normally emit. In this case, while using wire, for the most part you will have little or no issues with that kind of set up, however on braid, you will start to have a major wear point at the clip position. It is best to set up all of your location points with two red Scotty locators spaced about 3/4 to 1 inch apart with some 3mm tubing between them. Then simply clip onto the tubing. It will help with wear resistance while using standard flashers as dummies clipped close to the DR line on braid. The easiest way to do this is to peel out as much line as you think you need to accomplish your spacing on the DR. Slide on as many 3/4 to 1 inch 3mm tubing pieces that you think you will need, Then retie the terminal cannon ball connection. Start at the bottom point just above the ball connection, add a red locator/stopper, add one piece of tubing, add another red locator/stopper to the opposite side of the tubing. Slide the next tubing up the DR line to the next position and repeat the first action. Continue this until you think that you have enough locations for the amount of dummies you'd like to do. Same for the other DR. Or like some pro's do, make a detachable run of tuna cord or gangen line the length you want to run and clip onto that. Not at all necessary for wire users. :)