Duckworth vs hewescraft

Brett83

Hello. Im new to this forum so excuse me if this question has been asked before. I currently own an 18' hewescraft sportman. Its a great boat for fishing, but when it get rough out it becomes a really rough ride. Its classed as a inner harbour boat. Im looking at a hewescraft searunner 21' or a duckworth navigator sport ht 20'. Im leaning towards the Duckworth. Question is Im still concerned how they would do in the rough water? Has anyone been in either of these boats and will one be better then the other in rough water? Either model would have 200hp on it. Thanks.

Last edited:
My cousin has the navigator. Its s pretty rough ride. Keep your 18 or go 23 because you won't see a difference in rough water handling unless you jump to 23 imo.

My cousin has the navigator. Its s pretty rough ride. Keep your 18 or go 23 because you won't see a difference in rough water handling unless you jump to 23 imo.
The price goes way up stepping it up to a 23' otherwise i would. The 18' really slaps. I keep it in point Roberts, so wherever i go to fish is a 45 min run.

I have to agree with Dan. That is just one of the cons of that size of aluminum boat no matter the brand...imo. Depending on the brand, boats over 24’ feet will have a better ride closer to glass but not all. Hull design...weight...helm location etc all play a roll in the slappy ride. It’s hard to beat the large decks and layouts on even the smaller aluminums but there is a trade off.

Last edited:
I would agree that if a boat is under 18' they all seem to have a rough ride and I would take a glass over tin for ride quality. Once you get to that 23'-24' I think it more of a weight thing and the ride really improves

Duckworth is made by Renaissance Marine Group who also makes the Weldcraft and Northwest boats. Thought you may want to know that in case you like Duckworth boats then the other two brands may have similar models you might like as well.
Northwest by Renaissance is not the same as Northwest Aluminum Craft from the island. Renaissance is in Washington.

http://www.renaissance-marine-group.com/

So it doesn't make a difference that the hewescraft sportsman is classed as inner harbor and sea runner is mid ocean boats?

Without knowing the exact specs on those boats it could be a difference in deadrise or just a straight sales pitch in all honesty.

I made a similar move years ago - had a 17’ harbercraft adventurer, which had very similar specs to your sportsman, and upgraded to a Hewescraft 180et Searunner (20’ w/ extended transom). Loved the smaller boat for interior lakes big and small, except on wind chop as it would “skip” over waves so very bouncy/ pounding. Also used it on the chuck, including off Ukee, but had to choose my days carefully. Searunner was way more boat and fine for any ocean conditions I was comfortable to fish in inshore and offshore off the west coast (at least one week fishing out of Ukee every year, usually more).

I got my Hewescraft just before they seriously upgraded the searunner to the current 190 and 210 models (their pro-v was very similar to the old searunner) the 210 is a lot of boat!

There are some significant spec differences between the two boats you are considering. First, the Hewescraft is a full foot longer, and is 23’8” loa which is significant because Hewescraft extends the bottom the full length of the offshore bracket, so that’s nearly a 24’ long bottom! Next significant diff is bow deadrise: 34deg on the hewes, 30deg on the duck ... both are significantly better suited to the chuck than your bay/lake boat but the hewes has a significant edge with those specs. Finally, look at the floor/ beam comparison: Hewes has a 96” beam and 78” floor vs 93” and 72” for the duck ... again, those are significant differences and I would guarantee that when you step into the two the hewes will seem like a LOT more boat as a foot of length, half-foot of beam gives a lot of volume.

Either way, both will be a big upgrade and, despite some folks who cast aspersions at “cookie cutter” boats, they are all still great boats and there are tons of happy boaters out there. If you’re still researching hewes, i strongly suggest you check out the Hewescraft owners forum - tons of great info on there and you’ll be able to ask questions of guys who own and run the 210 searunner. Good luck!

Cheers!

Ukee

The Hewes has a bit more dead rise, otherwise very similiar

20 Navigator Sport
Hardtop

DW-Cad-Drawings-20-NavSport-HT.png

Length: 6.91 m / 22' 8"
Beam: 2.27 m / 93.5"
Side: 88.9 cm x 3.16 mm /35" x .125" (5052-H32)
Btm Width: 182.88 cm x 4.83 mm / 72" x .190" (5052-H34)
Dry Weight: 953 kg / 2102 lbs
Deadrise: Bow 30°, Forward 24°, Transom 14°
Fuel Cap: 158.99 L / 42 USG diurnal fuel system
Max HP: 150 kw / 200 HP
Max Cap: 6 person or 990 lb, 450 kg
2090 lb (950 kg) motor, persons, gear

Attachments

• hewes 20.pdf
    165.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes so would I, didn't notice that extra foot. I was looking more at the deadrise

Back