Downrigging supplies

Copper Moon

I was at Walmart in Nanaimo yesterday and found some savings on Scotty parts. They had the 2 pack of downrigger weight swivel hooks for $2 down from 6 and stopper beads (steel line) for $1.
I also found 12 lb balls for about $15 at Pacific Net and Twine, a lot cheaper than CT or Walmart.

15 lb balls at P.N.T. were only 19.99 each !! so much for my sale at $ 30 each, Damn !!![:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

A year ago that 15lb ball was $69.00, amazing what a slide
in the commodities/metals does for price of downrigger weights [^]

quote:Originally posted by Eyes Up Chuck

YEP! Prices are as follows:
15lb balls / $19.99 each.
12lb balls / 15.99 each.

WOW!!! Time to stock up!!!

TenMile
<'((((><

Instead of buying the vinyl coated balls, I buy the regular non coated
ones and just give them a shot of rubberized undercoat spray. I got a can from Canadian tire for $5, works great for me, maybe it will save you a few bucks. Cheers

quote:Originally posted by constantsguy

Instead of buying the vinyl coated balls, I buy the regular non coated
ones and just give them a shot of rubberized undercoat spray. I got a can from Canadian tire for $5, works great for me, maybe it will save you a few bucks. Cheers

I have seen a plastic dipping "paint" that is used to put vinyl handles on pliers and wrenches etc. I can't recall the name, but I have seen it at Canadian Tire.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it to coat cannon balls. [?]

A few years back, I painted a couple of balls white, and then painted the top half green with a touch of yellow between the green and white. The only problem was that the paint came off after about a year. You can still see a couple of specks of paint on it, but that's about all.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Jim, I tried that same stuff at Canadian Tire. It does work but you need enough to actually dip the canon ball into. I have tried looking all over for large enough quantities at a reasonable price, but have not yet located a supplier. Hopefully there is someone out there that can steer us in the right direction??

The stuff is called Plasti dip. Is available in large quantities from Redwood Plastics in Abbotsford. Try any Industrial plastic shop, they should carry it.

We have a company here in Burnaby , Burnaby Hitch ,( Buddy Loui ) that spray's truck bedliners , Linex , this stuff is amazing , real tough , I'm sure if you found a local shop in your area , dropped the balls off to them , they would spray them for a minimal price !!

*** I use mine bare , what is the advantage of coating them guy's , curiosity , thanks , FD

Cheers , FD....;)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

quote:Instead of buying the vinyl coated balls, I buy the regular non coated

I've been buying the vinyl coated ones because they where $10 cheaper than uncoated ones at Can tire!!!!!!!!

Take only what you need.

you can paint the lead as well. clean the oxidization off the lead, a good scrub with alcohol is usually all it takes. a rattle can in your favorite color (white is mine), and you are good to go. i also found some glow lure paint which i also apply to the tail fin. top coat with a rattle can of clear coat and it will be pretty good for the season.

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Is there any risk of getting lead poisoning by handling cannon balls all the time?

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Not unless you take scrapings and eat it, or atomise it and breath it.

Just like all the lead at a the far end of a rifle range, the lead is inert. It does nothing but sit there. No matter what the anti-gun enviro's have to say.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I have found that by just handling cannonballs as your fishing there is really no transfer of lead to your hands. However, I also make my own lead jigs and while handling them while cleaning off the extra lead on the seam line one's hands would turn black from handling the lead lures. So if your handling enough lead at one time to turn your hands black then I would say your better off wearing gloves. I also bought a small can of the plastic dip stuff and there wasn't enough to dip a cannonball so I put the plastic dip stuff and the cannonball into an empty ice cream bucket and rolled it around till it was covered then took it out and hung it to dry. I think next time I will just do what constantsguy does and buy a can of rubberized undercoat spray it sounds so much easier..... Steve

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Back