Downrigger Question

Doubletyee

I was doing maintenance on my 1106 and realized that the wire is frayed at the 150 ft mark. The total wire is 300 ft long. I don’t really want to have to put in a new wire can I splice the wire in the middle and what is the best way to do this? Or am I better to put on a brand new wire on? Thanks

I was doing maintenance on my 1106 and realized that the wire is frayed at the 150 ft mark. The total wire is 300 ft long. I don’t really want to have to put in a new wire can I splice the wire in the middle and what is the best way to do this? Or am I better to put on a brand new wire on? Thanks
Forget the wire and put new braid on.

Cannonballs are too expensive to run wire.

Who makes the best braid/price. I heard there is a thinner braid that is cheaper and better than scotty braid.
You need to do some real research, look at specks from a few brands, make sure you use actual diameters listed, not the same as xxx lb BS. You will find that Tuff Line downrigger braid is available, thinnest for the money. I have posted before, only brand I use and noticeably less blowback.

HM

You need to do some real research, look at specks from a few brands, make sure you use actual diameters listed, not the same as xxx lb BS. You will find that Tuff Line downrigger braid is available, thinnest for the money. I have posted before, only brand I use and noticeably less blowback.

HM
The difference in nominal 250 pound line is 0.031 inches diameter for Tuf Line compared to 0.035 inches for Power Pro. Are you saying 0.004 " (thousandths of an inch) makes a noticeable difference in blowback?

The difference in nominal 250 pound line is 0.031 inches diameter for Tuf Line compared to 0.035 inches for Power Pro. Are you saying 0.004 " (thousandths of an inch) makes a noticeable difference in blowback?
That all depends on the depths you regularly fish and the weight of your cannon balls.
If your fishing is 150' + than I would say you would notice the .004" but under that I have never noticed it to be a factor.
As HM stated not all braid is the same, IMO braided line has other factors to consider like the # of carriers and hollow or solid.
Most premium braid is of comparable diameter and # strength but the cheap stuff is all over the map.
I prefer to buck up for the hollow core, high carrier line because I can splice it if needed plus its much easier on the hands than the solid core stuff I have used like power pro, spider wire, suffix, etc.
For reference the Seaguar I have is rated for 200" and its a 16 carrier @ .040" diameter
Its all personal preference and priorities, wire just had way to many downsides for me, however I do miss the hum......

I am saying that the thinner the braid the less blowback, I have never ran boats or riggers side bye side with tuff line and other with Power Pro so cannot say if its noticeable. I am saying if cost, knot ability and availability are the same WHY would you NOT get the thinnest to provide the least blowback. Reality states that with 250 Ft line in water (or more I am in CR) while trolling yes the .004 extra diameter WILL make a difference, how much I do not know. I posted above and can state the Scotty braid provides noticeably more blowback.

We spend time and money on many things to get the smallest increase in efficiency and best upgrades for our passions, I am same with my fishing line and downrigger cable. If another brand has thinner braid for same availability and costs I would "upgrade".

HM

Back