Downrigger location

Wild Bill

Hi, I was wondering what people's preferences were regarding downrigger mount location. I have two 5' electric Scottys with swivel bases and was thinking at the stern but I know some guys like them further forward.
Swivels will probably be bolted and nylock SSR nuts. Where and why! Thanks!
15657202373931832401285.jpg 15657203605496364667.jpg

I would move them forward as you have lot's of room.
I agree move them forward. Gives ya room to net the fish with out having the down rigger in the way . While your at it put recessed cleats on the sides. I ordered these from m&p in burnaby

Attachments

• DA490BDA-AF22-43EE-97B6-543787238D70.jpeg
    DA490BDA-AF22-43EE-97B6-543787238D70.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Dont remember the price. They were from seaswirl , so I paid to much. But it was worth it. No more nets getting caught in the cleats. Heres another picture. Picture won’t load right now. They are bigger I think 6. Not a good picture

Attachments

• 05B38AF8-C9F1-4426-9AC4-3E1A2F57AFE6.jpeg
    05B38AF8-C9F1-4426-9AC4-3E1A2F57AFE6.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Mine are mounted at the rearmost spot on a 23' Striper (5' boom). I was considering moving them forward to allow for more fish space when playing at the side. However, 2 pieces have made me content (3 if you not include having to patch the old holes):

1. As long as the scotty clip is out of the water, we turn them straight to the back and have had no issues (yet) fish in the DR and there is plenty of side space to play.

2. Tight turns, in certain currents have the DR wire often close to the kicker or main motor. Arms are fully extended etc. I have often wondered what would happen if the DR was mid-ship? Does it slide under the boat?

Anyways, I am happy with them at the back.

BTW x2 on the recessed cleats!

Yeah on the cleats, I'm not too ocd so just need two. Other things need money before that happens. Cap through hulls, float and little water trial, put roller on trailer...

Mine are about 4ft up the side of the boat. And we run 20lb balls I’ve never had them cross under.

If your planning on using your rear steering helm with a rear throttle mount the riggers a little forward I would just guess 2’ then mount your flush mounted Scotty bases and rod holders ahead of the riggers about a foot or so, maybe more. This will keep your rods forward of you and in your peripheral vision while you are at the rear controls. If your going to use rod holders on the rigger booms then plan on putting the riggers farther ahead in order to keep your rod tips in your line of vision. Do some dry runs so to speak and see what works. If you have swivel bases you can always swing your riggers towards the front and out of the way which will leave you the whole back end of your boat clear to fight and net fish.

Those are pretty cool looking and actually have a lower profile than a Scotty does also they have nice smooth edges that won’t catch a net. If they mean something to you then use them why not. My only problem with them would be the look a little rattily. I can see them vibrating like bugger when the kicker is going but maybe not.

Don't mean anything other than investment of wire brush time, came with the boat and a little retro lol!

I cut my teeth DR fishing at Wya point/Little Beach in the late 80's- totally insane number of idiots guys from WA wearing cowboy hat's & asians from hongcouver would cut in front of you requiring very sudden & sharp turns. Unless your want your cables & props to have a physical relationship, mount them as far back as possible. IMO this one reason outweighs all others.

I have often wondered what would happen if the DR was mid-ship? Does it slide under the boat?
Yes it will, and will quickly wrap around your kicker prop! Had this happen and wasn't fun, so now I have a prop guard on it. My DRs are mounted forward with just enough space for someone to get behind them and net a fish. Be careful turning away from the side your kicker is mounted, particularly if you are trolling across any current.

if thats a Glasply boat ask Rockfish to send you a pick of how the brackets are on his far forward and made of aluminum, really not hard to get made use cardboard as a template and any sheetmetal shop can bend it for you

I cut my teeth DR fishing at Wya point/Little Beach in the late 80's- totally insane number of idiots guys from WA wearing cowboy hat's & asians from hongcouver would cut in front of you requiring very sudden & sharp turns. Unless your want your cables & props to have a physical relationship, mount them as far back as possible. IMO this one reason outweighs all others.
I also always mount at the far back corners, boom extented and a 45degree angle and even with sharp turns both sides the cable cant get in the prop of the kicker or main,i just turn them back when landing a large fish, always land the fish on the sides

I always mounted mine as far forward never hits prop as impossible unless your going 8 kts then face them forward when landing a fish. completely out of way cant always land fish on side trust me reaching over or a round a rigger you will hook your net seen it many a time . will also depends where your fishing if I fished out on big bank where im down 200 ft plus yes then as far back, sooke and most places 30 to 80 ft doesn't matter . I use my swival mounts alot and swivel it back clip is right there no reaching around just sharing what ive done for a very long time look at the set up on my boat and see me work its easy once you have a system in place.

I always mounted mine as far forward never hits prop as impossible unless your going 8 kts then face them forward when landing a fish. completely out of way cant always land fish on side trust me reaching over or a round a rigger you will hook your net seen it many a time . will also depends where your fishing if I fished out on big bank where im down 200 ft plus yes then as far back, sooke and most places 30 to 80 ft doesn't matter . I use my swival mounts alot and swivel it back clip is right there no reaching around just sharing what ive done for a very long time look at the set up on my boat and see me work its easy once you have a system in place.

You made my mind up as I’ve been waffling as to location. Cheers

Back