Double Eagle windshield frame - paint flaking off

2xeagle16

I would like to here from anyone with a 2007 or later Double Eagle boat, with paint bubbling, and or paint flaking off the windshield frame. I presently own a 166 Double Eagle bought new in 2007. Approximately 7 years ago, the paint (or powder coating) on the windshield frame started bubbly underneath the paint and then started flaking off, especially around the stainless steel fittings. The complete windshield (made by Pacific coast Marine) was replaced. The new windshield started bubbling 2 years ago in the same areas, and now the paint is flaking off in sheets, just like the original windshield frame. Pacific Coast Marine simply gave me another defective windshield frame. I plan on contacting Pacific Coast Marine - if you have similar problems with you're Double Eagle, please let me know.

I would like to here from anyone with a 2007 or later Double Eagle boat, with paint bubbling, and or paint flaking off the windshield frame. I presently own a 166 Double Eagle bought new in 2007. Approximately 7 years ago, the paint (or powder coating) on the windshield frame started bubbly underneath the paint and then started flaking off, especially around the stainless steel fittings. The complete windshield (made by Pacific coast Marine) was replaced. The new windshield started bubbling 2 years ago in the same areas, and now the paint is flaking off in sheets, just like the original windshield frame. Pacific Coast Marine simply gave me another defective windshield frame. I plan on contacting Pacific Coast Marine - if you have similar problems with you're Double Eagle, please let me know.

I had the same issue with my 94 hourston and I believe the window was from the same manufacturer I emailed them a few years ago and got no reply I ended up sanding and refinishing the window frame myself

My last Double Eagle was a 1998 no issue. I just picked up a 2006 and I noticed in one spot it's flaked but no where else. Any idea what I can put on it to stop it from spreading?

Most likley its galvanic corosion happening where stainless snaps have been rivited to the windshield frame for your soft top. There is ways around it but you need to start with a fresh powder coated frame

My 06 18.5 is doing the same thing. I do think its what steelydan states. Some sort of metal corrosion, oxidization, and I think the salt crystals from unwashed sea water make it worse, this is my 3rd eagle and all did it after a few years. Does not really bother me but may others, no idea who made the frames or if its any fault of them.

HM

My boat has been kept in a garage all it's life, and its washed and dried every time after I take it out. I have fishing buddies with Campion's, Tyee's, older Double Eagle's and Trophy's - none of them have this problem. I have also seen many newer Double Eagles at the boat ramp with same paint flaking problem as mine - it's just amazing how some manufactures keep on turning out defective products year after year!

Now I am going to have to look at others. Never thought it could be defective or "cheap" metal used in the DE window frames. Just always happened to mine and got complement with it.

Now I will compare them?

HM

Back