Double Eagle project?

******, looked to good to be true.., if he wont let you do a simple compression test i wonder tho..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the front of double eagle top, in front of the windows look like?The 1981 I looked at had what appears to look like plywood on either side. So Fibre glass portion with a center glass portion and wood part on either side?that's the best I can do to describe it

That Sangster looks pretty good, them old 70's are great , you can see from the pics that one is a lake boat, no corrosion anywhere on the 70,also seems to be a little under-powered them sangster hulls are pretty heavy hand laid fibreglass, pretty sure it is rated for a 150 hp, but a nice looking boat for the money for sure.. wish it was over here on the island, id scoop it up as it has a great interior and would be a great start for a salmon killing machine.
There fine just don't have a good resale value... Its weird I am not sure why.

That Sangster looks pretty good, them old 70's are great , you can see from the pics that one is a lake boat, no corrosion anywhere on the 70,also seems to be a little under-powered them sangster hulls are pretty heavy hand laid fibreglass, pretty sure it is rated for a 150 hp, but a nice looking boat for the money for sure.. wish it was over here on the island, id scoop it up as it has a great interior and would be a great start for a salmon killing machine.

Yeah it's under powered, there's. A 16' sangster with a 140 hp Merc for 2400$.as tempting as that is I am guessing the 18'will give much better ride??

That old two stroke 70 will probably move that little boat almost 25-30 knots... Just keep that in mind a 150 is overkill on a 16 foot boat if you don't need it. Heavier it is more low the transom sits. Just keep it in mind when looking... A 60 to 70 on a small double eagle heavier boat is plenty of power especially if it's two stroke.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sangster with the 70 is not underpowered and I disagree about them being heavy the one I tested was light and fast with a 70hp mariner (2 stroke) but sure bounced in small waves. I don't think they are a deep V. Fair weather ocean boat IMO.

Edit: I suppose if your planning to boat often with 3+ heavy men it is underpowered. With 2 your fine for sure.

That old two stroke 70 will probably move that little boat almost 25-30 knots... Just keep that in mind a 150 is overkill on a 16 foot boat if you don't need it. Heavier it is more low the transom sits. Just keep it in mind when looking... A 60 to 70 on a small double eagle heavier boat is plenty of power especially if it's two stroke.
Ok thanks for the advice, I did look at. I did compression test 115 psi or so on all 3 cylinders. I am in the thinking mode.It has built in gas tank up front. Looked not to bad, someone had like rhino the bottom 1/4 of the hull. The paint was tired and it had few dings but hey its not new. The floor was rock solid. What do you all think? I was wondering how much it would cost to do a transom and a floor on a boat?

I just looked at the ad. The trailer alone is worth 800-1000..A two stroke working probably 1500.00 . Looks like a good starter boat if you ask me, and it looks good for lake/ocean...Just do it not that much money.... And it the three cylinder that's what I had...Very solid motor.

GDW is right though in ocean my not be deepest V, but that is the compromise. You shoudl see some of the boats I see out on ocean, so pick your weather days and you will be fine... Word of advise get as cheap as you can and spend that cash to get all the proper safety gear.. Sound like is first boat so good luck...don't over think it.

Anything working under 3K is a steal in my opinion...

Thanks SV. I'm going to grab it .should be able to get my money back in a year or two if I find another boat. I really liked the double eagle but hey this is ok too.seems like it would be safe enough. I will need a Bimini with drop down so any dealers you guys use let me know.

pretty clean looking for the money, if it fires right up at turn of the key I would seriously be thinkin bout it, Also I have a brand new voltage regulating rectifier for that engine from cdi , cost me almost 130 bucks to get it from CDI in florida, in box never used..otherwise the unregulated (stock) rectifier can fry your electronics.. 025 (2).jpg well worth the money if you run expensive electronics.. $80

Ok Jeff, I will look up what it is and see if it has one,then consider it sold.the boat is home. My neighbors must hate me atv trailer, boat,camper! Hahhaha..Thanks to everyone who gave information on thus thread. I think its great multi purpose boat. It has new power trim, water separator, new gas tank in bow,new floors. The engine fired right up.I need some kicker mount installed immediately. Not sure where to buy. I also noticed a couple of.The snaps on the windows frame are missing and they are riveted on as well.

Congrats on the boat. This has been one of my favorite threads to follow as it brings back good and a few bad memories of my first fishing boat purchase many moons ago. It won't be too long before the dreaded twofootitis kicks in and the hunt will begin again! But in the meantime get that new boat wet and bloody the deck!

Hahah.I yes coho soon we will be fishing, heck if I didn't negotiate so long I could have gotten out today. My buddy who I fish with every year in October has to call me skipper when on board for lol. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how.Do I do it through photo bucket?

Back