Double Eagle project?

I'm working on a 1977 DE 17.5 Inboard project that I got for free. I specifically looked for one that had a good hull, but that was completely rotten inside. It had been used as a dumpster for about 10 years. Rotten is good, because it was very easy to remove the floor, transom and stringers - there's quite a difference between real wood and bark mulch. Most of the transom came out with my shop vac. Anyway, I'm converting it from an inboard to an outboard on a pod - which gives a whole lot of walking-around room, now that there's no dog-house. Be prepared to do a whole lot of work on any project boat, and like everyone else indicates, it really is gonna cost more than you thought. However, once this gets into the water, it's going to be a whole lot of fun!!! Good luck on your search.

I disliked the 175 because it didnt have enough freeboard. At the end of a trip my knees would be all bruised from having to jam them in the gunnles to keep myself from falling overboard while fighting a fish in some chop. The 185 is much nicer and a guy would need to be 3 sheets to the wind to fall out of it. Its difficult to **** over the gunnel for that matter lol

Hahaha.well the 17'6"will do. I have decided upon inspection tomorrow if what information I have gathered from you guys I will put into the viewing tomorrow. I have almost talked myself into.We'll see:)
I can get it for 250 bucks I have been working the guy over.The bottom line is I could buy 5000 boat and have hard time telling if it was toast. I will report back

The smart choice would to be buy a boat like that linked posted or wait. Right now great deals are coming. Just a word of caution 17 foot double eagles are great but they are a smaller boat. The best one is the 185 or the 20 foot version. That is where too me seems like worth it too do a total rebuild.

In 17 foot version that means even with top motors I rarely see them go over 12k unless there pretty much new.

I wouldn't rebuild it if is a starter boat your looking at a lot of work. And from what you said its a conversion so you are 2-3k at least on pod 2-3 k on floors... Once your done with kicker/main your way over 12k if not more...Not worth in IMHO. At least find a shell with good floors you don't have to pod if you can. Also does it have a trailer? So if no add at least 1400 more to that as well... And then your going to have to do wiring etc/electronics more cash. Then think of it your going to want a top so add another 1800.

I had one too so had some experience with these boats and owned..They have a limit what there worth.

Here as in example has a trailer already with working in board...You could get that for 3200-3500.... Even has a hardtop ( don't need a canvas top)... Just need to pod it and your set.... You could even just drive it around until your ready...

http://www.usedcowichan.com/classified-ad/175-Ft-Double-Eagle_22776872

One thing forgot top add watch out when I found my old boat I had several telling stories of the length of boat. A 17 foot double eagle is different you can tell right away. Make sure it has the TC plate in it. If its say 165 it not a 17 foot boat. I found lots of guys trying to tell people it was 17 feet. The best thing to do is call double eagle and check serial if unsure...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look on the transom rub rail it should be stamped on the starbord side

I believe the hull number was molded in the gel coat an the transom starting in the early eighty's. Before that they were stamped on the rub rail on the transom as SD mentioned. Personally I wouldn't pay more than a can of cheap beer for a 70's hull and undoubtedly rotten in spots, at least partially. And i like a project! When you are buying an older boat you are really not buying the "boat" part, you are really buying the engine, trailer and all the other stuff that a "boat" needs. The hull is not worth much when they are that old. Just my opinion....Not saying it isn't "worth" it as a project but please go in with eyes and ears wide open, not your heart.

Just to add, I would want to see pictures of the stringers if he did indeed replace the floor. A nice new 3/4' floor can hide a lot of laziness if you catch my drift and only costs a couple sheets of plywood. BIGGEST thing to examine is the transom and overall condition of the gel coat. Is the bottom painted? I own a 17' Double Eagle myself, I love it....

Take a lot of pictures a post 'em up!!

Not really.... Just look at the floor if your going to do and and tap transom with hammer...You know when you find water....... Also look for any cracking in the well if it is an outboard version... that is usually a dead give way transom could be shot.. If you on island go and check out that one I posted that's a good deal providing floor/transom good shape and at least that is the entire package.. Even if motor is shot at least you have everything wired and trailer with it... As said above go in with eyes/ears open not heart! Lots of double eagles out there. I went through this when I bought mine, so passing on the advice.

Not really.... Just look at the floor if your going to do and and tap transom with hammer...You know when you find water....... Also look for any cracking in the well if it is an outboard version... that is usually a dead give way transom could be shot.. If you on island go and check out that one I posted that's a good deal providing floor/transom good shape and at least that is the entire package.. Even if motor is shot at least you have everything wired and trailer with it... As said above go in with eyes/ears open not heart! Lots of double eagles out there. I went through this when I bought mine, so passing on the advice.
Ok, good advice

Just tape measure nose to tail. If it still has the windscreen you will need to take two measurements and add them together.

My 79 when we ripped the floor out the stringers were glassed all the way around and my old 1990 the stringers were not glassed on the top and the wood was bark mulch. Personaly i wouldnt touch a DE built in the 90s

Great place to start....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kopF4muvF0c?list=PL02C318B574CD948D" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

why I like aluminum....

Back