Double Eagle Fuel tank set up?

sixohfour

I have a Double Eagle 176, and it's time to replace the portable fuel tanks. Previous owner had a 12g and 2-6g tanks sitting under the splash well. Unfortunately it seems like the 12g tank has been discontinued, so hunting for alternatives to maintain or increase my fuel capacity. Area under the splash well is 29" deep x 50" wide and goes from 12" high at the front to 8" tall at inside of transom (middle 20" section is only 6" high at inside of transom). Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks Rob. I will go by CT tomorrow and check them out. Might be a good alternative if I can't find something more permanent.

Thanks mighty sylvan. I called IPP today and they might have a solution, will post back here if it works out. If this doesn't work out I might look at getting a tank custom made.

Canadian Tire jerry cans don't fit in my floor box and IPP doesnt have anything that works better than the 2x6g and 1x12g that I have now. They also don't do custom tanks. Anybody else have any other ideas? I know there's lots of people running this boat, somebody must have figured something out.

You might also consider a bow tank. Lots of pros and cons, depends on your use of the storage space up front. Anyway it's not hard to source poly tanks from Moeller or similar in a size that would suit. I have a 20 gallon under the bow and a 6 gallon reserve tank (portable) under the splashwell with a brass selector valve labelled for fore and aft tanks. Disclaimer - not a DE hull.

If you don't have one already, now is the time to install an inline cartridge filter on your fuel line, and be sure to carry a spare filter.

My hull was built in 1988. I have seen the moeller bow tanks. They are too big to sit on the floor in my bow compartment, but I'm considering building a shelf to get that tank a bit higher so it will fit. Not sure how that much weight that far forward would affect the boats trim/plane/performance though.

My hull was built in 1988. I have seen the moeller bow tanks. They are too big to sit on the floor in my bow compartment, but I'm considering building a shelf to get that tank a bit higher so it will fit. Not sure how that much weight that far forward would affect the boats trim/plane/performance though.
I did the same thing, built a ply shelf for the tank high enough to fit a large but shallow sealable plastic tub below. That holds all my safety equipment, boat and radio reg, licences etc. The weight wasn't such a big deal, 20 gallons is 75 litres so at 0.74 SG you have 55 kg/120 lb plus weight of tank and fittings, 150 lb at most. A kicker and a second battery weigh more than that and no one seems to think those are a bad idea. FWIW I didn't go with the specific bow tank, just a simple rectangular unit. My hull is a 1980 fibreglass Lund 19.5.

One unexpected bonus of the bow mount tank is reading the fuel level - just duck down and take a look!

Hi, Since the hull is pre fiberglas liner I think. Have you thought of cutting the floor open and putting a tank between the seats. Doesn't have to come this far apart to do it but it gives you an idea how much room the boat has. image.jpeg

I did justhe what your talking about in my old 17DE Which my Dad owns now. Boat handles better, pounds less and planes faster. Only draw back is harder to get off trailer in a shallow launch

That is the proper location for the tank on that boat. I had a 1989 17 footer and ordered it with the tank in the floor. That boat does not like lots of weight aft or forward. Bow digs in and water shoots up the windshield if bow heavy and squats if you much weight in the back. I think my tank was 20 gallons...aluminum from the factory.

Thanks guys for the great responses. I'd love to have an in floor tank but I don't want to have my boat out of commission for any length of time this summer. I may look at doing that over the coming winter. I think I am going to stick with the 1-12g and 2-6g I have in the stern now and build some sort of a shelf up front for another 12g or so. This should get me through the season. Glad to hear that this doesn't affect the boats performance negatively.

I have a 17' Hourston which I installed a 20gal Moeller bow tank up front. I find the boat gets on plane better with the tank up front, as I have a 115hp on the back which is max for the boat(weight). I've had it in there 4years now and still have room to storage fishing gear.

I have a Double Eagle 176, and it's time to replace the portable fuel tanks. Previous owner had a 12g and 2-6g tanks sitting under the splash well. Unfortunately it seems like the 12g tank has been discontinued, so hunting for alternatives to maintain or increase my fuel capacity. Area under the splash well is 29" deep x 50" wide and goes from 12" high at the front to 8" tall at inside of transom (middle 20" section is only 6" high at inside of transom). Anybody have any ideas?

I have a 98 176 eagle and I just replaced the in floor fuel tank wit a new one if you are planning on going that route poco marine makes aluminum tanks for double eagle at half the price of anywhere else

Back