Don Cherry Fired

as its being said... his message is 100% percent correct...but or perhaps the delivery was wrong... I do have to say i notice how few people were actually wearing poppies this year:(.. i was saddened by this as its not hard to wear something to show the respect for those that have serve our country... some of those great people gave there lives for what we have and freedom today..

One thing I can say about don he is Canadian a guy runs my goalie I will run there back eye for a eye,he would never sit on the fence ,

Surprised McLean is getting off. I could understand if he was stunned ( they both are lol)and never said anything, but the nodding and thumbs up showed he agreed. Full disclosure,I never forgave him for the hatchet job he did on Burroughs for calling out refereeing bias!

Kind of ridiculous in my opinion in the firing especially on Remembrance Day. I felt he could have chosen his words a bit better but that's Don and always as been. No apology for the sensitive ones sealed his fate unfortunately. His co-host MacLain gave him the thumbs up during the segment so it's interesting how quickly he responded to protect his own best interests. I still thank you Don for your years of dedicated service to Hockey Night in Canada. It's a shame but again probably a long time coming.

Kind of ridiculous in my opinion in the firing especially on Remembrance Day. I felt he could have chosen his words a bit better but that's Don and always as been. No apology for the sensitive ones sealed his fate unfortunately. His co-host MacLain gave him the thumbs up during the segment so it's interesting how quickly he responded to protect his own best interests. I still thank you Don for your years of dedicated service to Hockey Night in Canada. It's a shame but again probably a long time coming.

My read is that Rogers has given both of them an opportunity to apologize and align themselves with the corporation’s interests, hence the 48 hrs delay in Cherry’s firing. McLean acted fast enough and saved his butt, Cherry didn’t.

No one is immune to changes in the social trends. Only the more adaptable can survive.

Last edited:
My read is that Rogers has given both of them an opportunity to apologize and align themselves with the corporation’s interests, hence the 48 hrs delay in Cherry’s firing. McLean acted fast enough and saved his butt, Cherry didn’t.

No one is immune to changes in the social trends. Only the more adaptable can survive.
Makes sense now and old school Don similar to my ancestors had their opinions and were reluctant to adapt due to their own personal experiences or opinions. Those days are over.

Rogers sports net saw a way to pad the bottom line and took it.

I don’t know about that as similar to the Gillette man shaming video here. Think they aren’t recognizing who their main base is. I know of at least a dozen people that cancelled sportsnet today. And that’s just people I know. This is looked upon by many as a larger than don cherry issue, it’s a political correctness overboard / free speech issue.

Yes to protect the bottom line and again help distance themselves from any further politics with the contentions surrounding their major sponsor Huawei and CFO Meng and her US warrant. That's what makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Shame on Rogers sportsnet for not waiting one day to release Don Cherry! Now all over the news is them...cashing in on Remembrance Day! Cancel your Rogers sports net.
Thank you to those who have served and who still are serving our great country, so we can speak our minds! Loser of the day....Rogers Sportsnet!

It’s the new religion be apart of it or get fired.

If you disagree with said religion do so in the privacy of your own home.

Last edited:
What he said was true. People are moving to this country because of the freedoms and choices we have because of the sacrifices made by the men and women who gave their life for them. He was just saying educate the new and let them know why Canada is the choice of many. People are way too soft. Lefties will take it all away if they get their way.

Last edited:
Makes me think how well choir boy Archie Bunker in his Lazy Boy recliner would have held up in this day and age?
Yes, shame on Sportsnet for making a very poor decision on firing Cherry on Remembrance Day. Wait a day if that's your intent but that would lesson Sportsnet's impact message. Company so called "Code of Ethics" is in question here.

Last edited:
Excellent article about what's what but calling Don Cherry a "bigot" is maybe a little over the top in my opinion. Could be legal grounds for defamation of character. Lol.
Thanks for sharing.

Kelly is relying the fact that truth is an absolute defence to a defamation action in Canada. That's probably why the Globe's lawyers let it run.

Back