Don’t want to kill salmon by c and r

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing Forum' started by habberdasher, Apr 22, 2019.

1. habberdasher

habberdasher Active Member

Hi I am going to do my fishing on the Island lakes please let us know your success stories
    Tight lines Tom

2. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

Nice thread Tom. Hope to meet you at Elk Lake.. we will still fish salt water as we like crab and bottom fish. The ease and quiet of lake fishing with an electric motor is very enjoyable.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    BarryA likes this.
  3. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

There's no need to kill a salmon if you understand how to properly release a fish
    at the side of the boat.
    No net, no fish in the boat, just a quick slip of the gaff and the fish swims away.

Kildonan and habberdasher like this.
  4. habberdasher

Thanks Scott I even bought a release tool from Bass pro but I am haunted by the memory of a beautiful wild coho floating away after I admit a poor release
    I am going to a lodge in the interior that’s lake has too good a spawn and the owners encourage catch and kill and even smoke them for you.
    When I get back from that trip I will only have a couple of weeks to wait before we can keep one incase I have one badly hooked
    Tight lines
    Tom

islandboy likes this.
  5. habberdasher

Maybe at the lake you can whisper where you crab? At Willows I only seem to get undersized ones

6. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

Tom,
    Willows has been hit hard by commercials as well as most of the Oakbay area
    very few keeper's left

:(

7. tinboatrobb

I will pm you with the spot where we get crab 9 times out of 10....

habberdasher likes this.
  8. islandboy

islandboy Active Member

Pan fries out of Thetis last week were tasty; Lake temp 51 - 52 F, fire tiger w/silver wings spin-n-glo behind lake troll.
    Shared a few from Prospect with friends tonight; lake temp 55 F, same rig. Could not get the second line in the water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tinboatrobb

Is there still a boat launch at prospect lake? Is it any better than it was 20 years ago?

10. habberdasher

I just looked at google maps and it just looks like echo place is still the launch for prospect it’s a long back up with a trailer and parking might be a problem that being said I might try it in my float tube if my new hip will like that?
    Thanks islandboy for the post is there a launch at Thetis ?

11. tinboatrobb

Parking was always a problem for more that 2 trailers.

12. islandboy

islandboy Active Member

Trailer launch is still crappy. I use a set of wheels for our canoe from the park at the North end - walkway and dock is in great shape.
    Thetis only has beach launching as well.

13. KCW

KCW Active Member

Been doing well on Langford with fly's ,lots of 10-18" ers , no big one's yet .

islandboy likes this.
  14. habberdasher

Thanks for the report how is langford for launching and parking it’s been a while since I have fished there but got to play a Eagle that came from behind me and almost gave me a heart attack it was like flying a kite until I blocked the reel

islandboy likes this.
  15. eroyd

eroyd Well-Known Member

Langford has a good launch but at the moment parking can be a pain if it's busy. Probably the best place for a chance of a bigger fish. So far I have released a 5#6oz and a few in the 4lb range. I keep the occasional small one but like to think the bigger fish are worth more swimming in the lake than as a meal.
    Thetis has no back down boat launch. Some decent bass and the occasional decent rainbow. Most of the mature fish are under 14".
    Durrance has a O.K. launch but most of the parking is taken by Mountain Bikers who aren't really even using the park. Probably the best bet for those that need to catch their limit.

Why use expensive gang trolls? Troll a fly. It's cheaper and more productive.

islandboy likes this.
  16. habberdasher

Thanks Eroyd
    One day over twenty years ago I had a gang troll out one side and a leech fly on the other side and I remember that first fly caught trout and have trolled flies ever since. Would you think that the parking at Langford is ok on weekdays? Maybe early?
    Even at Elk most of the parking was taken by walkers in-spite of the signage .
    Tight lines Tom

17. islandboy

islandboy Active Member

Mine are 40 years old - cheap back then. ;)

18. eroyd

eroyd Well-Known Member

I think Langford would be fine on weekdays for parking. Saturday and Sundays it gets busy.

islandboy likes this.
  19. KCW

KCW Active Member

I plan on trying chiron0mid fishing for the first time next time out . Got 2 anchors set up

islandboy likes this.
  20. habberdasher

Lots of swallows last time out at Elk

islandboy likes this.