Do you keep a journal?

Mighty Sylvan

It seems that the fishing trips blur over the years. I have decided to keep a journal of my fishing days. I just thought it would be nice to reflect on the days fishing and write down the highlights or low points of the trip. I'm going to do it for a season and then see how much I refer to it during the off season?

If you keep a journal what do you put in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did keep a journal for a few years but eventually stopped. It seemed it was just one more thing to do at the end of a busy weekend of fishing. I also found that fished a lot in the same spots.....same gear etc and it made for a bit of a boring read? lol I use to record rough fish sizes.....lures.....depths and weather conditions. I am planning on dusting the journal off again this summer now that my kids are a bit older and will be my deck hands for many years to come.....hopefully! I think they are a good idea and fun to keep records but like everything else they do take a bit of time........Cheers!

i have for the last ten years but only use it now when fishing a new area as posted before it would read alot the same as my patters of location and gear are somewhat unchanged.
i definately use it for prawn totals and locations...

I have kept a journal for the last 15 years and have to say it is one of my most valuable tools. It is more than just a fun thing to look back on during the winters-it is an invaluable planning tool. If I want to get in a trip but I'm not sure where I want to go-I consult the journal-I look at all the entries for that date and it will tell me where I have had the most success for that date. Where to start, depths, lures that worked etc. If somebody told me while I was in the area that they did very well off a certain point and I hadn't had a chance to fish it-then I make a note of it. After the season I have a look back over the year, collect all the little tips and special notes and make a year synopsis to refer to. A journal may not help the guy who day fishes in roughly the same area but guys who multi-day trip to many areas on WCVI and anchor etc. It's a must!!! Its not just the fishing but ramps, safe anchorages and problem areas make the journal a must for planning and a successful trip.

I do try to move around the Island and try some different spots. It would also be nice to make notes on cabins and marinas with phone numbers and websites too.

I used to keep one religiously and between me and my dad we've got records going back to the 70's...now I mainly just use the search function on this site to look up fishing reports I've posted in the past.

I wish I did. I may start now as I spend more time after a day or weekend up keeping the boat. I wouldn't mind sitting down and writing something in a journal at the end of a day while it is still fresh in the memory. I'm not a good salmon fisherman and I know that a journal could help with that.

Started one 30 years ago for outings (fish, hunt, mushroom etc. ) and have been a daily writer for the last 20. Great for digging out where exactly was that camping spot as my memory was never good and is not improving.

Cheap psycho-analysis. Writing seems to flush away what is eating at you.

Kept a journal for years....still do.

I write down everything I can remember about the day:- weather, tide, hit times, lures, rigs,sea conditions, wind etc.etc.

I also write down other stuff below the last entry pertaining to what others are using on the same day....like what lures are popular, where fish are being caught, what depths, anything unusual, sightings of bait etc .etc., algae blooms etc.

After awhile you start getting a pretty good idea of the fishing game around here.....

No, but my chart plotter has lots of marks to which I could begin to add some info besides the time, date and whether it is a hali, ling or salmon spot.

Back