Do You Get A Christmas Bonus?

Do You Get A Christmas Bonus?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We get a company Christmas party that’s it, my old company Christmas bonus, and a lunch. But we also did a all expenses paid trip to bam field with our boats

At our company quarterly bonuses are handed out to all in the company based on the sales that my team brings in. There is a quarterly hold back of 25% which if numbers are over our targets for the year the Q4 bonus includes the hold back.

Yes my team makes their very healthy commissions but also have an incentive to work for everyone from reception, office manager, software engineers, technical support to our administrative/accounting team.

Last edited:
I've never had a bonus of any kind. When I did work for others and for one in particular...was asked often to come in on a Saturday because something needed to get done (so the owners problem and doing a favour for him)... I would at first. But after a few times and never even a thank you or hey guys let me take you for lunch...never again. He asked but I said sorry, I'm busy.

I haven't had a bonus in over 10 years lol. Usually theres not a lot of work going on for us either in December.

... I pay $20 for my wife to attend the work Christmas party lol.
God that is a kick in the junk. We used to do the Rain City type of thing but have been cutting back on social, and it's an afternoon family friendly Christmas party at my place.

We try to pay bonuses monthly but have rarely had team members hitting their goals. I better not be Scrouge and at least throw $100 bill in card? or is the Canadian Peso too low for that to be thought of as cheap?

Shameless plug. We are looking for a Business Development Recruitment Lead and a Recruiter. Comes with Monthly fishing trips with your boss prawning, halibut and salmon if you are a top producer https://redsealrecruiting.com/job-seekers/job-board-list/

I work for a large company that bought our facility along with a few others a few years ago. They have never called it a Christmas bonus but both companies announce raises in December for the new year and lay out the bonus amount. With the old company it was a percentage of your base wage depending on your job level and a company wide multiplier that was applied to that. They use things like safety...production and incidents as contributing factors. The new company has a system that is much more individually based and tends to cause some internal tension. It also is more company based and not strictly a cash bonus. Again they want you to drink some of the cool aid and give stocks and options as a portion and not just cash. I realize however it is exactly what it is a “bonus” and I try to keep that in mind in a world of this type of thing getting more and more rare.

I asked one of my superintendents one time where’s our bonus, ( jokingly ) he said, you are all getting called back to work, that’s your bonus. Sounded solid to me.

When I was a kid my dad was a Superintendent with Dominion Construction (where I started at 16 as well). I remember every christmas all the old portugese guys would show up at our door with bottles of wine, dozens of them. The subs would take him to hockey games, the suppliers would send him and my mom to dinner. All to get on his next project. As a kid we were part of Dominion family. They had a huge christmas ball at a fancy hotel downtown and paid for rooms or cabs. Then they'd do a company skate and even a Santa Day for us little kids. Every kid got a present and visit with santa. In the late 90's the Bentalls sold the company and all that changed. No more santa for the kids. One drink at the party. And everything went to the lowest bidder so loyalty was out the door too. It's really sad actually. Not a lot of companies like that anymore.

We do bonuses and raises at year end, haven’t had a Christmas party or golf tourney in 4-5 years since we got bought from the company that built the asset. I got a new position last year so i had to sit down and do the performance appraisals this year, I got em finished but it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be!

Well they also get 15 paid vacay days a year and time off whenever they want. And higher wages than most guys at their responsibility level. And tools paid. And fishing Fridays. And coffee. And donuts. And beers on pay day. :confused:
Where do I apply, you are making me think of coming out of retirement.