Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Again I, not against EV’s what I am against is the blind trust people put in these types of things. Head on full tilt no looking back. It amazes me that most of people behind this are your typical social justice warriors but they don’t stop to look at the real consequences of their actions, maybe they don’t care I don’t know, the green new deal at any cost I guess. If these people really cared they would put a stop to any further development until these places are cleaned up and companies can prove without a doubt their products come from proper resources. But they won’t will they because it would cost to much. People already can’t afford the product it has to be backed by government money. What if Tesla and VW were to stop production, go in and build a proper mine and employ and pay these people what they deserve. But they won’t because no one could afford the product. So the dirty little secret is all hush, hush in the name of the green deal. What complete utter hypocrisy, the same people that back these companies are fighting against Canadian made resources the most ethnically, environmentally produced resource in the world. No this they are against but so what if few thousand coloured children a year have to die in order for them to accomplish their goal, no biggy right.
The insanity of this world what utter chaos.

How is this any different than sweatshops? I bet we all have some goods in our house that were produced in sweatshop labour conditions. We need to put pressure on those companies to use ethically sourced raw materials/components. Interestingly, ethically sourced coffee for examples actually sells at a premium and many are willing to pay more if it appears its from an ethical source (although some of this could be just marketing)

Not sure why we can't to two things at this same time. IE Improve worker rights by putting pressure on the companies and at the same time advance the adoption of EV. The atrocities are already happening and it is not just cobalt. Personally, I think we should have stricter legal requirements on importing products that are produced under conditions that violate our standards of human rights.

You must have missed this post (#62) that addresses this problem. I'm confident that any Electric Car that you can buy in Canada will not have any cobalt that has an ethical problem.

There was a pilot program to track Cobalt through all stages of mining and production that was developed using IBM and blockchain software and now it's about to go live. Companies that are using it include Ford, Volkswagen and Volvo also others that buy their batteries from LG Chem like GM. Tesla is not on this list because they don't get their Cobalt from the areas of concern. Time will tell how effective it will be but at least it still lets locals mine the metal giving them needed income and still supplying the world with a valuable resource. Not many reasons left to slow down this transition to cleaner transportation.

https://www.rcsglobal.com/volvo-car...aunched-rcs-global-ibm-ford-volkswagen-group/

You must have missed this post (#62) that addresses this problem. I'm confident that any Electric Car that you can buy in Canada will not have any cobalt that has an ethical problem.

Exactly...cheap made in China products with lithium batteries, not so much.

Local gas station, took a picture today when I picked up some Timmy’s

Petro Canada is looking to be first out of the gate with cross country fast charge stations in a hybrid delivery model for ev and petroleum vehicles. Very smart move imo.

Petro Canada is looking to be first out of the gate with cross country fast charge stations in a hybrid delivery model for ev and petroleum vehicles. Very smart move imo.
Petro Canada is owned by Suncor and is a leader in the New Alberta oil patch, unfortunately some don't like that. Sure they have issues but they have to walk a fine line between doing what is smart for their future and keeping the old dogs happy. You can see their network of charging location from this link.
https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/personal/fuel/ev-fast-charge-network
Word from the EV owners is that, on balance they, work real well.

I am leaning towards a plug in hybrid as it seems the EV tech is a little to expensive still for my needs.

Very close tho to what i need. If i buy in the next 2 years it will be a plug in hybrid, IF i hold out for 5 and the tech is where i need it to be I will be full electric suv.

need something in the 30-40k price range anything more is too expensive.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Outlander PHEV. But then I heard a model with a larger gas engine, larger battery updated tech and upgraded interior was coming, I decided to wait.

Turns out everywhere else around the world got this re-worked 2019 model, except Canada. We still get the old version here. I just couldn't get over the strange looks ( and wallowy ride) to make me pull the trigger.

I didn't want an EV or PHEV for any other reason than to be able to take the HOV and to tow my little boat. There are no other options, so I have decided to wait to see what happens.

How heavy is your little boat ? A Tesla model 3 has a higher tow rating (2000lbs) than an outlander PHEV (1500lbs) and is a much nicer vehicle for close to the same money after your $8000 federal+BC incentives.

A very good explainer on the challenges with towing using a BEV.
For the record the new tesla truck design is "growing" on me but then again I do like odd looking trucks. My two favorites trunks that I have owned are a 56 GMC back in highschool and my 52 GMC I built back in 1996.

lol the guys in the video have it correct only some surfer hippy is going to by that ugly tesla thing.

Pre Sale orders are over 250,000 so that's a fair amount of demand.

They had one in Ukee, saw it on a flat deck on Peninsula Rd heard it was out here creating a promo video. Neat looking truck looked definitely smaller that a full size be interesting to see it's tow capacity based on suspension and vehicle weight. Crazy power and torque but must be hard to put it all to the ground with out breaking loose.

Back