Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Cool to catch a sneak peak of the Rivian RT1 filming promotional footage in Ucluelet. 750 hp 0-60 in 3.0 seconds wow!

Someone else’s Facebook post from yesterday

Unfortunately as with all things though there is a price to pay. One has to evaluate their own necessities and the human cost that comes with it.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/03/the-dirty-secret-of-electric-vehicles/
This is more of a problem that can be addressed by Company's enforcing proper corporate social responsibility programs. As with any area in demand, unfortunately, ripe to be exploited.

Sounds like blood diamonds.
Sounds like batteries might be on the list with the sweat shop clothing, high end running shoes, electronics, pretty much anything from China, Arab oil, agricultural products from the third world and blood diamonds. Man not much you can buy nowadays.

There was a pilot program to track Cobalt through all stages of mining and production that was developed using IBM and blockchain software and now it's about to go live. Companies that are using it include Ford, Volkswagen and Volvo also others that buy their batteries from LG Chem like GM. Tesla is not on this list because they don't get their Cobalt from the areas of concern. Time will tell how effective it will be but at least it still lets locals mine the metal giving them needed income and still supplying the world with a valuable resource. Not many reasons left to slow down this transition to cleaner transportation.

https://www.rcsglobal.com/volvo-car...aunched-rcs-global-ibm-ford-volkswagen-group/

There was a pilot program to track Cobalt through all stages of mining and production that was developed using IBM and blockchain software and now it's about to go live. Companies that are using it include Ford, Volkswagen and Volvo also others that buy their batteries from LG Chem like GM. Tesla is not on this list because they don't get their Cobalt from the areas of concern. Time will tell how effective it will be but at least it still lets locals mine the metal giving them needed income and still supplying the world with a valuable resource. Not many reasons left to slow down this transition to cleaner transportation.

https://www.rcsglobal.com/volvo-car...aunched-rcs-global-ibm-ford-volkswagen-group/

We definitely should still move forward. At the same time, we should be forcing these companies to ensure they are getting their component parts from responsible sources. Same as clothing and other things. These companies only really understand dollars so consumer pressure does go a long way.

Check out where the majority of cobalt comes from, the country produces 3x the next 10 producers combined. Then look at who owns most of the mines and how they got them through a debt trap. Ask yourself if think the combination of owner and location bode well for people or the environment. Then look at where 80% of cobalt is refined (hint they own half the mines). It’s far from rosy, hopefully it evolves.

It's changing faster than you think. Most people would not be able to fathom how close their idea of future truly is, and how fast it will change right there, before them. It just doesn't matter anymore. Zero fear is all you need to move forward, stop holding onto the past otherwise like other things I have talked about well before they happen will take you yet again, by surprise. :)
https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets...in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

We are in the future of my childhood. Pretty much only thing missing is flying cars. Which really likely not that far away.

Cool stuff, can't wait to see what they do to build a 27 foot Grady that runs on electricity.

I am all over this thing, the pickup would be perfect, I can stuff my kids in the pass through storage compartment and travel in peace and quiet! I am going to put my name down but it's probably going to be for the SUV. Both seem to have pretty stunning range at 400 miles (so really 300) and the 11,000 tow rating in the pickup is perfect for my needs. This reminds me I have to unload a couple of old oil burners sometime soon before they're 100% garage art. Maybe these Rivian guys will come up with a marine application that would be awesome.

Reactions: GLG
Though some might get a kick out of some of the vintage video on this Youtube plus a little history worth remembering.

And then there is another view ...

Electric Vehicle Sales in Canada – Q3 2019
Zero Emission Vehicles now represent 3.5% of passenger vehicle sales in Canada
(10% in BC, 7% in Quebec) since introduction of federal incentives
https://emc-mec.ca/wp-content/uploads/EMC-Sales-Report-2019-Q3_EN.pdf

Kind of remarkable considering that the automotive industry is in a slowdown at the moment. Just wait until new models and the shortage of EV's at dealers get sorted out. In other news Tesla China factory is finished and is going into production in early 2020 and Tesla Germany factory is now a go. Watch for the new Tesla pickup to be unveiled Nov 21, 2019 and preorders go online. Should give us an insight on how that market will play out.

VW is not sitting around waiting to see which way the wind is blowing either as broke ground on an expansion to their US plant to produce their new EV's. They have also converted a plant in Germany to EVs only with the first one coming off that line last week.

Interesting times ahead.

I realize this is odd but I hope they have some sort of sound that goes vrrrooom, and I believe that is a federal safety mandate that is coming down soon anyway. Check out the e-Mustang they built one off, it even has a clutch and a 7 speed manual transmission. That would be pretty sweet...while I am keen on the Rivian I am a) not going to be too early and adopter and b) will lease that thing for sure to protect myself against it being a total POS. I don't think there will be any end user incentives for the Rivian anyway.

The only logical way is to replace vehicles with electric where possible though the natural replacement cycle. Its going to happen pretty fast IMO and fighting against it seems pointless. If you want to drive your old beater dually around the farm in the middle of nowhere go about it no one cares.

Those are all good articles walleys, GLG and Aces posted.

thanks guys

I think the problem with these debates is people on both sides get dug into their religion that middle ground and realistic expectations never make it into the media. It's either the sky is falling or your all a bunch of crazies.

I don’t think anyone is fighting EV’s like most state in some cases it only makes sense but what we see once again is the over exaggeration of their sales and effectiveness. I’ve said it before and I still stand by it. When comparing EV’s take over from combustion engines like the combustion engine taking over horse and buggy it’s false. I compare it more to the microwave oven in the kitchen. The microwave never did take over the kitchen from regular ovens what people did was add it to the kitchen. As such will be with EV’s there may be one in many driveways but the day they take over is so far down the road, so, so far. They are just not practical in the majority of the world. And the infrastructure needed to make them practical in a good part of the world is trillions and trillions of dollars away. It’s just not reasonable in the next 15 - 20 years. Their drop in sales numbers reflects this. Still doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting and it’s interesting to watch their development these are definitely interesting times to be alive.

It’s just not reasonable in the next 15 - 20 years.

I disagree most of the population of canada lives within 100km of a city where this infrastructure is growing.

If we could transition off the daily commuters that would be enormous amount of cars and trucks.

I disagree most of the population of canada lives within 100km of a city where this infrastructure is growing.

If we could transition off the daily commuters that would be enormous amount of cars and trucks.

Totally agree, cities this will be pretty straight forward. I know a significant number of people whose commute is sub 20KM and they live in or near the city. I think there will be pressure/more incentives to get more infrastructure in place such that charging is more available.

Is this going to get widespread adoption in the rural areas of the country? Likely not yet. They still need to be able to potentially make long trips to city centers etc and won't want to wait for charges etc.

Maybe so guys, but 15 years goes fast as us older guys know lol.
It would be nice in the larger urban areas to get a lot of those engines shut off. When I look at highway cams of some of those cities or when I travel through Vancouver and the lower mainland on trips it’s a pretty disgusting site really. People, people, people uhhhh I don’t know how some people do it.

I ride my bike to work and have for 20 years....gotta say the numbers of e-bikes on my commute is staggering compared to just a couple years ago....EV's can't be all that far behind in municipalities where traffic fu$%ing sucks

I would love to have one of the Rivian SUVs. The issue some people are going to have is the amount of power needed at the house to put in a supercharger. I could be wrong but I heard a supercharger needs a dedicated 100 amp service. For anyone that has a house in a rural area like myself this would mean about 20k in work at the house on top of the cost of the vehicle. The price of the vehicle is already a stretch but that puts it over the top for me. Well that and my wife would probably smash it up like every other vehicle we have.

Back