Diesel Heaters

BCROB

Planar
Webasto
Espar

the good the bad and the ugly ??

these 3 seem to be the ones that come up in conversation but after looking on here its been a while since discussed on here , anyone prefer one over the other , time for some heat in Jan Feb in the Okanagan !

any input appreciated...

Matt whats in your TJ ?

workin on a canopy bimimi to cover 14'tinny with the clearest 6 mill avail(done) to hold the buddy heat so i may have the comfort of gaining the knolage of my new ploter sounder in reasonable comfort.I appologize for the hijack of thread .just saying i want a bigger craft like my comrades .my needs are few and if i may say the pfd suit works well(as long as i keep the mold off).good luck with your vessels heat.and for myself?i sould have not made the purchace of a fish finder modal.

Espar in the new boat with 3 vents. Two on the windshield and a bigger one on the cuddy wall blowing into the cabin. Worked good last year according to the wife! Lol

Yeah, we had tons of problems with espars until we fed them kerosene, they were not reliable on diesel. A typical consumer wouldn't be able to afford the repair costs up till then while we were learning and acquiring more and more test equipment. I would give the knockoffs a shot. My music equipment amps, mikes, etc has been Chinese , Taiwan and so on for years and I don't have any complaints.

It looks just like the one triplenickel posted above except I bought it from eBay I think it was $219 to the door. Took 6+ weeks to get here...

I have had numerous Espar in many boats over 15 years all of them trouble free, and they only ran on diesel. Just don't run them out of fuel, they can be a pain to restart.

Cheers, FF

1986 26 ft commander with original espar diesel still going strong. I have own the boat for about 12 years, was told to run them every 3 or 4 weeks for 20 minutes to keep the nozzle clean when not in use for any length of time. I would get another if I ever had to replace this one.

Perhaps our issues with Diesel had somthing to do with -30 to -40 temperatures. Diesel is pretty thick at those temps.

1986 26 ft commander with original espar diesel still going strong. I have own the boat for about 12 years, was told to run them every 3 or 4 weeks for 20 minutes to keep the nozzle clean when not in use for any length of time. I would get another if I ever had to replace this one.
My 92 commander the same. Espar never been replaced (alledgedly). Too hot I find lol.

I currently have a chinese knock off heater of the russian planar heater which is a knock off of a german made one.

The Chinese one thats in my boat is controlled by a dial.... id reccomend the lcd screen one after getting one for my shop....one neat feature of the lcd screen it shows outlet heater temp. Max was 192 deg! Thats good heat. Lcd is much nicer to control the heater ive found.

Ive also ran a planar 2d. Great unit probaly 400+hr problem free. Paid 800. Looked exactly the same as the chinese one i paid quarter the cost.

Bang for buck the chinese units make awesome dry heat. Pretty reliable and pretty efficient on fuel. I fire mine up the night before and let it run all night before fishing the am. Keeps it dry and toasty..no damp windows.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...4.TRC2.A0.H0.X12v+diesel+heater.TRS0&_sacat=0

Have an Espar up at the helm and a Wallas cooktop/heater combo next to my sink. Both diesels. They both work very well and get the pilot house stoking hot in short time even in below zero temps outside. They both have temp dials on them so you can control how warm you want it inside.

If you have a closed in pilot house/cabin I would recommend making sure you install your heater vents far enough away from windows in case you are like me and like to have a window cracked for fresh air even when you have a heater going. That way you won't be pulling in burnt fuel fumes from the heater vent into your window.

Back