Did I put it in the wrong hole?

bigdogg1

Now that I have your attention, perhaps someone can help me understand this repair ;):
Did my first impeller change on a 2016 Yamaha 9.9. Symptoms were that it flushed well (plugging garden hose into flush plug at top of motor that unthreads to take the hose. However, on the water the telltale was just a marginal stream.

So, off came the lower part, impeller was removed and a couple of fins were bent over. Parts went back in reverse order. When I ran the hose again, there was barely a trickle but using muffs, the flow was really strong. As well, a water test proved to be fine but when I came home and flushed it, there was hardly any water out the telltale.

Essentially, the telltale symptoms reversed after the change. I am not worried b/c it pees well under normal operating conditions but I would like it to be as strong as it was when flushing prior to the change.

It will always pee harder as the water is underpressure where in the water its just the pump having to work a bit ... no problems if its peeing out of tell tell and not "hot" your good to go last case thing is the thermostat made be plugged

When you are using the flushing hose that attaches to the hose at the top of the motor, you are running water through the engine in the opposite direction that it would be if the engine were running and in the water. Essentially you are reverse flushing the outboard. Yamaha advises against running the engine with the hose flushing the engine as the water pressure is against the rotation of the pump.
It sounds to me that you may have inadvertently moved a small piece of debris into the flush attachment. Look under the cowling and see if there are more than one passage the water could travel through when your hose is hooked up.
Coolant dead ends at the connector where it attaches to the motor, disconnect it there and run it in a tank or on the muffs. Stick your finger over the outlet of the telltale to direct the flow of water through the flush attachment, this will force all the water through the flush hose and should push out any debris. You should see the water flow increase when the blockage is removed. Reinstall the flush hose and run again to confirm flow.

When you are using the flushing hose that attaches to the hose at the top of the motor, you are running water through the engine in the opposite direction that it would be if the engine were running and in the water. Essentially you are reverse flushing the outboard. Yamaha advises against running the engine with the hose flushing the engine as the water pressure is against the rotation of the pump.
It sounds to me that you may have inadvertently moved a small piece of debris into the flush attachment. Look under the cowling and see if there are more than one passage the water could travel through when your hose is hooked up.
Coolant dead ends at the connector where it attaches to the motor, disconnect it there and run it in a tank or on the muffs. Stick your finger over the outlet of the telltale to direct the flow of water through the flush attachment, this will force all the water through the flush hose and should push out any debris. You should see the water flow increase when the blockage is removed. Reinstall the flush hose and run again to confirm flow.
My honda 225 pee hole gets salt built up all the time, i just run a piece of weed wacker string in the hole whenever the steam is slow, work like a charm, i change my impeller every year

tooth pick for me always have them on hand LOL

Had a great belly laugh on this one. I get lots of comments from folks not in the know along the line "why are there bags of toothpicks in every cubbyhole of your boat". LOL.

We use a long soft bendable length of bare solid wire. If we had to pick its teeth way out back on the pod I think there is a chance someone would end up in the water. lol

Back