DFO's Website - What we Think About it?

Are You Happy with DFO's Website?

• I like the existing website and can easily find what I'm looking for

• I can find what I'm looking for but it's time consuming and onerous

• I can find what I'm looking for with help of others or information is outdated / wrong

• Website is so hard to navigate that I've given up on it

Results are only viewable after voting.
:cool:
Often the IT decisions are made by bureaucrats that have no clue how IT works. Then the order comes down to the development team to build something that makes no sense and is coupled with ridiculous internal work policies (set by management that have no clue about how to manage IT projects) which results in nothing being accomplished and wasting countless $$$.
I'd bet my next paycheque there's a team of overly frustrated good quality developers that have thrown their arms in the air in disgust knowing they were handed an impossible task with the guidelines thrust upon them.

They should let some IT guys who fish build the site.

Or... provide access to the data to the private sector and let any company who wants to consume the data and build an app or website where they can then sell access to the public for a nominal fee. I'd happily pay 10 or 20 bucks to a private company that can supply an app that allows me simple functions as listed above by others.
- buy a license
- look up latest regulations on an interactive map of management areas
- weather with tide/current data
- record your catch

Brilliant ideas, Kildonan. The only problem is that if the private sector gets into this business, those bureaucrats that you just mentioned no longer will have a job so they'll make the privacy laws so complex that NOBODY can do this. They are incompetent in delivering results but also very creative and capable of protecting their own interests. I am a regular transit user in Vancouver but after all the delays and tax$$ spent on the Compass project, I can't use a clean app on my phone to reload my card, plan my trip or check schedules all in one place. Have to still use that clunky translink website which is a pain in the ..ss.
Anyhow, venting over. Let's get back to the intetesting topic of the DFO website. :cool:

@BCRingo. What If we subscribe to the "open data" premise of govt., why can't we let govt. create the fishing rules then let the private sector take the info and deliver it as they see fit?

All the info I describe is public information, no security issue, with the exception of transferring secure data to the DFO for purchasing a license. Govt sells many services securely online through a secure payment portal, it's easy. All the other info can be consumed by many external entities by using what's called a "web service" which is a modern way of transferring data to apps or websites in real time as DFO updates them.

The bureaucrats keep their jobs, the private sector can consume the data, deploy it as they see fit and make a bit of money from it. Everyone wins.

A certification by the Feds to a private company to allow them to sell and collect money for a license and transfer the money on a quarterly basis is likely not too dissimilar to the old paper based system.

Kildonan is right on the money.
Provide an API that developers can use either in a mobile app or web application for a fee (yay more revenue) and let the private sector fight it out.

Quite frankly it's silly that I can't open up a fishing app with my license, catch record and current regulations for the area. Maybe even weather!

@Kildonan - sounds like you've got a strong business case ;) I'm sure there are tech savvy fishermen on both coasts who are willing to contribute to the initial funding and get a basic product out there and then enhance it once $$ start to flow in.
now let's think about how this idea can be lobbied with the feds so that we get some traction. Should we start by socializing this with our MLAs when they are back from their aummer holidays?

Back