DFO would give licence to FN for harvesting of Seals if a use for them

Purses, Motorbike chaps, underwear, hats, leather boat seats, boots, tackle bags, grocery bags, back packs, winter coats, bathroom floor mats, welcome mats, so many nice and unique gifts can be made

There are endless uses for seal products, unfortunately not any anyone will actually buy for the price. Most western countries ban the sale of seal products, so the market is only domestic. The east coast seal hunt has a quota of 400,000 seals, they take about 60,000. and the pelts are worth very little, about $30 as long as they are perfect, (ie no bullet holes). That is an easy cheap hunt where the young seals are almost immobile on the ice. Harbour seals can swim almost immediately after birth so wont just lay there waiting to be clubbed. The only way a West coast seal hunt would be economically viable is if the Government were to fund it. I really don't see that happening. Realistically some pressure could be put on to remove specific problem animals from specific pinch points like is being done on the Columbia river at Bonneville dam, that is probably the best case scenario.

There should be some small demand for use in first nations crafts and for food in some of the few first nations specialty restaurants, but the amount that would be utilized for those uses, is in my opinion very limited.

Given the numbers that need to be removed to protect salmon and the fact that we have a massively over populated seal problem and now also, in addition, have a massively overpopulated sea lion problem, the only commercial uses that would be able to make use of the kind of tonnage that would be needed to make even a small dent in these populations would be processing into animal feed and into crop fertilizer/composting.

Talked to an old timer who lives on the water in Sooke and has spent a great deal of time on the water and does volunteer work at the local hatchery. His view was that if we don’t reduce the pinniped populations greatly in the next 2 years, the Chinook and Coho salmon will be all but gone. He mentioned situations where a small groups of Transient Orca have actually been intimidated and chased off by very large groups of seal lions working together like a whole lot of wolves chasing of a small group of cougars. I guess if you have the numbers the weaker predators can work together to overcome the bigger stronger predators.

The bottleneck going into Sooke harbour is now just a salmon killing ground for the pinnipeds.
Only in the past few years have I seen extremely large groups of sea lions deep in the Sooke Basin in the late summer/early fall and also in the Inlet at that time.

There should be some small demand for use in first nations crafts and for food in some of the few first nations specialty restaurants, but the amount that would be utilized for those uses, is in my opinion very limited.

Given the numbers that need to be removed to protect salmon and the fact that we have a massively over populated seal problem and now also, in addition, have a massively overpopulated sea lion problem, the only commercial uses that would be able to make use of the kind of tonnage that would be needed to make even a small dent in these populations would be processing into animal feed and into crop fertilizer/composting.

Talked to an old timer who lives on the water in Sooke and has spent a great deal of time on the water and does volunteer work at the local hatchery. His view was that if we don’t reduce the pinniped populations greatly in the next 2 years, the Chinook and Coho salmon will be all but gone. He mentioned situations where a small groups of Transient Orca have actually been intimidated and chased off by very large groups of seal lions working together like a whole lot of wolves chasing of a small group of cougars. I guess if you have the numbers the weaker predators can work together to overcome the bigger stronger predators.

The bottleneck going into Sooke harbour is now just a salmon killing ground for the pinnipeds.
Only in the past few years have I seen extremely large groups of sea lions deep in the Sooke Basin in the late summer/early fall and also in the Inlet at that time.
Well said, hope they take action and send the hides to a tanner.

... Realistically some pressure could be put on to remove specific problem animals from specific pinch points like is being done on the Columbia river at Bonneville dam, that is probably the best case scenario.

Realistically, and once again completely in character, you spew your opinion without any real understanding.
There are options that you are blissfully unaware of.
And time will prove me more than correct in this instance (among many).

No surprises...

Carry On.

Nog

Back