DFO proposing Expansion of Rockfish RCA's in SOG

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
DFO is advising us that they are looking at expanding our area 17 RCA 's (Rock-fish Conservation Areas), and other parts within SOG. We are just passing this information along to you so you are aware of this. This is only out for discussion (nothing final) right now, and was presented at the South coast SFAB meeting in Nanaimo this weekend.

Also there are new areas in Howe Sound to protect glass sponge reefs being proposed.

No data is backing the expansion of RCA's. I attached both presentations.

Attachments

• Howe Sound Reefs_SFAC South Coast Dec 1 2018.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • RCA Review_Overview_SFAC Dec 2018.pdf
    904.2 KB · Views: 109
"How would the SFAB like to be engaged?"
To use the SFAB essentially as the messenger board for their decision they call engagement? Nothing to do with engagement or involvement. Hope someone eventually tells DFO what it really is.

"How would the SFAB like to be engaged?"
To use the SFAB essentially as the messenger board for their decision they call engagement? Nothing to do with engagement or involvement. Hope someone eventually tells DFO what it really is.

Lol.. another positive post calmsea..:rolleyes:..not so calm i guess:(

I think RCA's are a great idea, rockfish grow slow and its good to have seed areas... .With that said - WTF do they allow commercial fishing activities in them? We are not allowed to troll through them for salmon, so why should they be allowed to fish them?

They could greatly reduce mortality due to barotrauma by making everybody have a Seaqualizer descending device on board every boat and making them use it......that would help a lot with bycatch problems. Why not try that before closing even more areas?

Back