DFO History

I found that about one sentence provided insight to the current mess; the 1990's saw a proliferation of policy's

All talk & no spending

Unfortunately the Liberals have a history of passing a ton of regulations every time they get elected and spend next to no dollars to ensure those measures add up to making a difference. Listen,I don’t have a 100 year lineage in this west coast fishery, I have 25 years, but in all of those 25 years, I have been hearing about our salmon stocks depleting,rapidly. What’s been done that’s actually worked? I can’t think of much because what’s been done was either misguided or wasn’t done in large enough measures to make any significant difference. I think it’s time to start trying things we haven’t tried before. Also, the Liberal policies of pitting one user group against another is counterproductive and will lead to real trouble. Either everyone gets a piece of the pie or there’s no pie,period. A seal cull is a start,change fish farms to raising Pacific Salmon or close, no more Mr Nice guy with big donors. We also need massive investment in fish stocks, this 9.5 million dollar investment from the Liberals borders on criminal as the shut fisheries down across the province. That number should have been 9.5 Billion. Finally we need our BC GOVERNMENT to stand up and really get involved in solving this. Tax payers in BC need to help cover the costs associated with saving our fishery. Closing everything is the cheapest form of management. As long as our government keeps denying access to our fishery it’s simply because they don’t want to spend what’s needed to fix it. That’s fact. And that’s been our plight for 40 plus years

Back