DFO finally does something about poachers.

Blowing up or burning the boats in the water seems like it would create a number of environmental issues that might, in fact, be worse than the over fishing. :)

Actually in situ burning is the best way to dispose of ocean waste.
Don't let the environmental lobby make you feel bad about high explosive target practice.

wonder if it was the same dick mobile that cut off my buds anchor?

It has been to court a couple of times in Campbell River, but I don't know the next court date as everything seems to be on hold due to Covid 19

Seems strange that they took the engines off the boat as part of the decision?

No, They get to keep the boat, minus the engines. And as there is no essential travel between Canada and USA, it could be awhile before that happens.

That news story has three references to the large fines, but no dollar amounts are mentioned. I've emailed the reporter on this, but in the meantime, does anyone here have that info?
Court records show that the owner of the boat, the head-honcho in this gig, got a $15,000 fine, along with a 10 year fishing license prohibition, and his 2 fishing buddies each got a $5,000 fine with a 1 year prohibition. Plus they lost all their fishing gear, everything fishing related, downriggers, prawn trap pullers, rods, reels, tackle boxes etc etc. Also lost 1 of their new 300 HP Yamaha motors along with a 25HP Yamaha kicker. It’s possible and likely that it could be that the boat was co-owned with someone else who wasn’t there and wasn’t charged. If the boat was forfeited, the absentee co-owner could have applied to get it back and may well have been successful in doing so. This way, the guy’s who were charged and convicted lose a lot of stuff along with the hefty fines. So let’s add this up... $15,000 fine plus 2 x $5,000 fines is $25,000. What’s a new 300 Yammie worth, probably $30,000 or so, so that takes it up to $55,000. Throw in a new 25 HP high thrust for another $7,000 or so and you’re up well over $60,000. Then add a whole bunch of fishing tackle to the tune of another many thousands, plus a 1 1/2 years worth of storage fees etc, and you’re probably well on the North side of $75,000 all told by the time the dust settles on this one. That, plus the fact that you know that their lawyer(s) didn’t work for free. So, by the time that all their fines/bills are added up, these guys are probably on the hook for best part of maybe $90,000 or so. A pretty expensive getaway for a few days of fishing. Whether you have lots of money or not to begin with, that’s still a lot of money to spend for being stupid and greedy.
It sounds like a witness may have seen these guys shenanigans and reported it to the local Police. Once the Police figured out that they were in over their head, they probably got ahold of DFO who obviously dove in like a Pitbull on a Poodle. The rest, as they say, is history.. A real “shout out” to everyone involved at all levels is very appropriate in this high profile case. It is clearly one of the highest penalties ever assessed in BC for abusing our precious Natural Resources. My thanks, our thanks, to everyone involved in this case at all levels. Good work!!

Last edited:
Court records show that the owner of the boat, the head-honcho in this gig, got a $15,000 fine, along with a 10 year fishing license prohibition, and his 2 fishing buddies each got a $5,000 fine with a 1 year prohibition. Plus they lost all their fishing gear, everything fishing related, downriggers, prawn trap pullers, rods, reels, tackle boxes etc etc. Also lost 1 of their new 300 HP Yamaha motors along with a 25HP Yamaha kicker. It’s possible and likely that it could be that the boat was co-owned with someone else who wasn’t there and wasn’t charged. If the boat was forfeited, the absentee co-owner could have applied to get it back and may well have been successful in doing so. This way, the guy’s who were charged and convicted lose a lot of stuff along with the hefty fines. So let’s add this up... $15,000 fine plus 2 x $5,000 fines is $25,000. What’s a new 300 Yammie worth, probably $30,000 or so, so that takes it up to $55,000. Throw in a new 25 HP high thrust for another $7,000 or so and you’re up well over $60,000. Then add a whole bunch of fishing tackle to the tune of another many thousands, plus a 1 1/2 years worth of storage fees etc, and you’re probably well on the North side of $75,000 all told by the time the dust settles on this one. That, plus the fact that you know that their lawyer(s) didn’t work for free. So, by the time that all their fines/bills are added up, these guys are probably on the hook for best part of maybe $90,000 or so. A pretty expensive getaway for a few days of fishing. Whether you have lots of money or not to begin with, that’s still a lot of money to spend for being stupid and greedy.
It sounds like a witness may have seen these guys shenanigans and reported it to the local Police. Once the Police figured out that they were in over their head, they probably got ahold of DFO who obviously dove in like a Pitbull on a Poodle. The rest, as they say, is history.. A real “shout out” to everyone involved at all levels is very appropriate in this high profile case. It is clearly one of the highest penalties ever assessed in BC for abusing our precious Natural Resources. My thanks, our thanks, to everyone involved in this case at all levels. Good work!!
I heard that boat was co-owned by his wife. Still a great pinch because now he's going to wear and it hear it for the rest of his life from his wife if the marriage lasts...

Good result.
They plead guilty too. This sentence would take that as a mitigating factor, meaning this sort of sentence could be the new norm.

Who was the PCJ?

I think this great but the bigger one that we don't see are way more shocking than this one. Organized crime and seafood is very big problem right now. This stuff is pretty small in grand scheme of things. Shellfish actually is the big one, and sucking back the officers time on mainland and island.

I am glad they got caught. It just makes us all look bad. I am sure our NGO buddies will latch onto new article try to use this against us on social media.

News release​

April 12, 2021
Campbell River, B.C. - On February 24, 2021, Washington State residents Bradley Wogalmott, Geoffrey Hoover, and Jonathan Magee, plead guilty in Campbell River Provincial Court to numerous violations of Canada’s Fisheries Act. The Honourable Judge Crockett ordered significant penalties for the three men.
  • Mr. Wogalmott was fined $15,000 and prohibited from fishing or holding a fishing licence anywhere in Canada for 10 years. He was also ordered to forfeit all fishing equipment seized on the vessel being used, valued at over $6,000, and two outboard engines (300hp and 25hp Yamaha), valued at approximately $32,500. He was also ordered to pay the storage and transport fees for the seized vessel, with an estimated cost of approximately $10,000.
  • Mr. Hoover was fined $5,000, received a 2-year prohibition against fishing or holding a fishing licence anywhere in Canada, and forfeited all of his fishing equipment that was seized as evidence.
  • Mr. Magee was also fined $5,000, received a 1-year prohibition against fishing or holding a fishing licence anywhere in Canada, and forfeited all of his fishing equipment seized.
The charges stem from a joint DFO and RCMP investigation in Gold River on September 11, 2019. Nootka Sound RCMP received information that the three United States residents may have contravened the Fisheries Act while fishing in the area. RCMP officers stopped the men, who were found in possession of a significant number of fish that were not caught, or correctly recorded, according to the conditions of their recreational licence. DFO Conservation and Protection fishery officers from Campbell River were called in to take over the investigation.
Fishery Officer Greg Askey, Field Supervisor with the Campbell River DFO C&P Detachment, stated that this was “the most significant sport fish violation I have seen in my over 20-year career.”
Former Nootka Sound RCMP Detachment Commander, S/Sgt Joshua Wiese commented, “This investigation highlights the important role our local community members, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, and Nootka Sound RCMP play in protecting the resources of the Nootka Sound.”
Fisheries and Oceans Canada has a mandate to protect and conserve marine resources and to prosecute offenders under the Fisheries Act. It ensures and promotes compliance with the Act and other laws and regulations through a combination of land, air, and sea patrols, as well as education and awareness activities.

Additional multimedia​

1618012799405.jpg
Photo submitted as evidence during the Court proceedings

Quick facts​

• As part of Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s work to end illegal activity, the Department asks the public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336, or email the details to DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
  • Fisheries and Oceans Canada works closely with the RCMP, other government agencies, community groups, and the general public, to ensure compliance with fisheries regulations.
  • Fishery officers determined that not all of the anglers had valid fishing licences, that the catch was not accurately recorded, and that the fish had been processed in such a way that the species and size was difficult to determine.
  • Fishery officers seized a 30 foot Cutwater fishing vessel, 26 Chinook salmon, ling cod, and rockfish, as well as a significant quantity of fishing gear found on the vessel.
  • The significant fines, fees and prohibitions, plus the forfeiture of the engines, fishing gear and illegal catch underscores the seriousness of violating fishing rules and regulations under Canada’s Fisheries Act intended to protect and preserve at-risk fish populations.

Associated links​

Contacts​

Leri Davies
Strategic Media Relations Advisor
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region
Cell: 604-612-6837
Leri.davies@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Media Relations
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
613-990-7537
Media.xncr@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Stay connected​

Search for related information by keyword: Fisheries resources | Fisheries and Oceans Canada | British Columbia | Environmental conservation and protection | Environmental enforcement | general public | news releases | Hon. Bernadette Jordan

News release​

April 12, 2021
Campbell River, B.C. - On February 24, 2021, Washington State residents Bradley Wogalmott, Geoffrey Hoover, and Jonathan Magee, plead guilty in Campbell River Provincial Court to numerous violations of Canada’s Fisheries Act. The Honourable Judge Crockett ordered significant penalties for the three men.
  • Mr. Wogalmott was fined $15,000 and prohibited from fishing or holding a fishing licence anywhere in Canada for 10 years. He was also ordered to forfeit all fishing equipment seized on the vessel being used, valued at over $6,000, and two outboard engines (300hp and 25hp Yamaha), valued at approximately $32,500. He was also ordered to pay the storage and transport fees for the seized vessel, with an estimated cost of approximately $10,000.
  • Mr. Hoover was fined $5,000, received a 2-year prohibition against fishing or holding a fishing licence anywhere in Canada, and forfeited all of his fishing equipment that was seized as evidence.
  • Mr. Magee was also fined $5,000, received a 1-year prohibition against fishing or holding a fishing licence anywhere in Canada, and forfeited all of his fishing equipment seized.
The charges stem from a joint DFO and RCMP investigation in Gold River on September 11, 2019. Nootka Sound RCMP received information that the three United States residents may have contravened the Fisheries Act while fishing in the area. RCMP officers stopped the men, who were found in possession of a significant number of fish that were not caught, or correctly recorded, according to the conditions of their recreational licence. DFO Conservation and Protection fishery officers from Campbell River were called in to take over the investigation.
Fishery Officer Greg Askey, Field Supervisor with the Campbell River DFO C&P Detachment, stated that this was “the most significant sport fish violation I have seen in my over 20-year career.”
Former Nootka Sound RCMP Detachment Commander, S/Sgt Joshua Wiese commented, “This investigation highlights the important role our local community members, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, and Nootka Sound RCMP play in protecting the resources of the Nootka Sound.”
Fisheries and Oceans Canada has a mandate to protect and conserve marine resources and to prosecute offenders under the Fisheries Act. It ensures and promotes compliance with the Act and other laws and regulations through a combination of land, air, and sea patrols, as well as education and awareness activities.

Additional multimedia​

1618012799405.jpg
Photo submitted as evidence during the Court proceedings

Quick facts​

• As part of Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s work to end illegal activity, the Department asks the public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336, or email the details to DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
  • Fisheries and Oceans Canada works closely with the RCMP, other government agencies, community groups, and the general public, to ensure compliance with fisheries regulations.
  • Fishery officers determined that not all of the anglers had valid fishing licences, that the catch was not accurately recorded, and that the fish had been processed in such a way that the species and size was difficult to determine.
  • Fishery officers seized a 30 foot Cutwater fishing vessel, 26 Chinook salmon, ling cod, and rockfish, as well as a significant quantity of fishing gear found on the vessel.
  • The significant fines, fees and prohibitions, plus the forfeiture of the engines, fishing gear and illegal catch underscores the seriousness of violating fishing rules and regulations under Canada’s Fisheries Act intended to protect and preserve at-risk fish populations.

Associated links​

Contacts​

Leri Davies
Strategic Media Relations Advisor
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region
Cell: 604-612-6837
Leri.davies@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Media Relations
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
613-990-7537
Media.xncr@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Stay connected​

Search for related information by keyword: Fisheries resources | Fisheries and Oceans Canada | British Columbia | Environmental conservation and protection | Environmental enforcement | general public | news releases | Hon. Bernadette Jordan

Embarrasses me greatly, as I am south of the border in Port Angeles , that three Americans violated your fishery so arrogantly.

If I was the judge, the boat would be confiscated and sold at auction. The three dudes would serve jail time. Big, big fines in order.

A few years back we had an incident at Sekiu: A guy was running downriggers like commercial troll gear, on both sides of the boat. Several spreads on each wire. Fish cops figured out what was going on and stopped the nonsense. I think the end result was the boat was seized, not returned, fines and the such levied. The guy had a lot of filleted fish in the boat, all silvers I think.

Hang 'em high!!!!

Embarrasses me greatly, as I am south of the border in Port Angeles , that three Americans violated your fishery so arrogantly.

If I was the judge, the boat would be confiscated and sold at auction. The three dudes would serve jail time. Big, big fines in order.

A few years back we had an incident at Sekiu: A guy was running downriggers like commercial troll gear, on both sides of the boat. Several spreads on each wire. Fish cops figured out what was going on and stopped the nonsense. I think the end result was the boat was seized, not returned, fines and the such levied. The guy had a lot of filleted fish in the boat, all silvers I think.

Hang 'em high!!!!
The judge found out the boat was a Cutwater and allowed them to keep it

Back