DFO finally does something about poachers.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Rednex3, Sep 12, 2019 at 6:21 PM.

1. Rednex3

Rednex3 Member

2. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

I think the credit on this one goes to the RCMP

Rain City likes this.
  3. gungadin

gungadin Well-Known Member

I think the credit on this one goes to the person or persons that reported it.

4. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Maybe the better call IS to the RCMP for these type of things? Clearly DFO doesn't do SFA about it. I wonder if other jurisdictions/departments like VPD could also respond to calls and cover some costs with civil forfeitures.

bigdogg1 likes this.
  5. Pippen

Pippen Well-Known Member

Saw that Cutwater at Tsawassen terminal back in May or June. Was gonna go talk to him as last year there was a sister boat at the Cap trolling north/south versus east/west that everyone wanted to chuck lead at.

Saw the WA registration and stayed in my vehicle.

I wonder if they got their retention advice from Moutcha processing as per the thread last year. Go home and don't eat your catch despite processing or it all goes to your limit.

WASATCH CHARLIE, ab1752 and BCRingo like this.
  6. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

How many females does it take to produce 50 pounds of roe??

7. Don Haraguchi

Don Haraguchi Member

Saw that boat in late July/early August in Nootka this year. And last year, if I’m not mistaken.
    Lots and lots of Washington registered vessels up there lately, and it seems to be increasing every year.

I wonder how many successful trips home they made before getting caught ?

8. ab1752

ab1752 Well-Known Member

Looks like they used a chain saw on those springs. That's a very costly lesson that appears totally deserved.

Btw that cutwater off ambleside last season was brutal. That's the guy who liked to show his buddies how big a wake he could kick up by hitting it in the middle of the troll as he peeled off. It looked basically brand new.

9. Ian wagner

Ian wagner Active Member

10. casper5280

casper5280 Well-Known Member

Just out of interest is there a limit on salmon roe?? Just wondered why they pointed that out in the charges if there is a limit. I personally never new there was a limit if there is one.

11. RiverBoy

RiverBoy Well-Known Member

wondering the same thing. also apparently three guys. they shouldn’t have mentioned lings either unless they were undersize? am i missing something

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:49 PM
  12. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

Only one I know is from bc freshwater regs.

Roe... you must not have more than 1 kg of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for use as bait unless the roe was obtained from a commercial source that lawfully obtained that roe, or you have in your possession the freshly dressed fish from which the roe in excess of 1 kg was taken. Carry a receipt with you if you purchased roe from a commercial source.

RiverBoy likes this.
  13. casper5280

casper5280 Well-Known Member

Thank you did not know that.

14. Tips Up

Tips Up Well-Known Member

25 boots. 1 chromer.

15. JC42

JC42 New Member

Saw this boat around Nootka early August. Folks on facebook mentioned seeing it in Tofino and Ucluelet also

16. bigdogg1

bigdogg1 Active Member

Disgusting. Any updates through the legal process would be appreciated if they could be posted. Thanks.

17. macro

macro Active Member

Glad to see it impounded. I hope they go for max charges.

bigdogg1 likes this.
  18. gungadin

gungadin Well-Known Member

Certainly at Nootka it seems makes a difference. "Nootka Sound RCMP at 250-283-2227." I have been stopped three times this year, RCMP were there once. Great that the the boat was seized. What,s that boat worth? $50-100 thousand. Court process at least a year, Lawyer costs?? They and that boat will be pariahs on this coast even if they eventually get it back. Hopefully the courts will go hard on them.

SpringFever552 and Rain City like this.
  19. bigdogg1

bigdogg1 Active Member

I was wondering the same thing re the $ value of the boat

Here is a used 30' (2015) for 250K (no typo)! Not the exact but close enough

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/429231/cutwater-c30-nanaimo-british-columbia

20. dmurph

dmurph Well-Known Member

That boats worth a lot more than that

Dave H likes this.