DFO Chinook Closures put into place " To support Fraser First Nations FSC fishing opportunities"

ChinookExerciser

Sent: 28-May-2019 18:12:59 From: Fisher, Ryan To: 'gwitzky@nicolatribal.org' Cc: 'frafs15@gmail.com' Bcc: Subject: March 29, 2019 - 2019 Forum on Conservation and Harvest Planning - Malloway Attachments: 0413_001.pdf Grand Chief Ken Malloway Chairperson Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat c/o Nicola Tribal Association PO Box 188 Merritt, BC V1K 1B8 c/o < gwitzky@nicolatribal.org >

Dear Chief Malloway:

Thank you for your March 29, 2019 correspondence regarding your organization’s feedback on the Kamloops Forum on Conservation and Harvest Planning.

I underscore how much Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) values the feedback and recommendations provided by First Nations participants at the Forum. DFO makes final decisions only after great care is taken in reviewing this feedback, in addition to considering other recommendations received and the best available science. Input from First Nations has been very helpful in informing management plans, and DFO anticipates that this will continue as we move forward.

As DFO approaches an agreement with the Fraser Salmon Management Council (FSMC) on collaborative governance of Fraser River salmon, we anticipate working with the FRAFS Executive Committee and FSMC to move towards a strengthened approach to working with First Nations throughout the Fraser salmon migratory route. The engagement of FRAFS is critical in supporting a transition to this approach.

Chinook Management

The recommendations provided in your letters of both March 29 and February 21 were included in the package of feedback and recommendations received by the Department.

The Department agrees that conservation of Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern is the highest priority guiding management, and on April 16, 2019, the Government of Canada announced new fisheries management measures to address the Fraser River Chinook decline.

Achieving the conservation of at-risk Fraser River Spring 42, Spring 52, and Summer 52 Chinook stocks requires significant actions in commercial troll, recreational, and First Nations fisheries in times and areas where at-risk Fraser River Chinook are encountered. Fishery Notice 0395 contains details on 2019 commercial, recreational, and Aboriginal Fraser River Chinook conservation measures and reductions in coast-wide recreational annual limits for Chinook in tidal waters.

While conservation of at-risk Fraser River Chinook is the primary objective in managing the resource, the Department is also committed to respecting constitutional and Treaty obligations to provide priority for First Nations harvest opportunities for food, social and ceremonial (FSC) purposes after conservation requirements are met. Conservation measures for Fraser River Spring 42, Spring 52, and Summer 52 Chinook will constrain First Nations Chinook harvest opportunities while these at-riskFraser River Chinook or other stocks of concern (e.g., Early Stuart Sockeye) migrate through fishing areas. However, DFO is providing First Nations in the Fraser River with limited Fraser River Chinook directed fishing opportunities to harvest small numbers of Chinook for ceremonial purposes until July 15.

While the overall abundance of Chinook returning to the Fraser River in 2019 is uncertain, DFO is also planning measures to increase the abundance of Chinook reaching the Fraser River in August to support Fraser First Nations FSC fishing opportunities. This includes an extended closure of the commercial troll fishery in northern British Columbia, which is intended to support Fraser River FSC fisheries by passing through more of the abundant Summer 41 (South Thompson) Chinook that typically comprise 20 to 30 percent of troll harvests. In addition, recreational salmon fisheries in southern BC will remain at reduced limits of one (1) Chinook per day after the Chinook nonretention period ends (i.e., after July 15 or August 1 depending on area; see below) and recreational fisheries in the Fraser River will remain closed until at least August 23. These measures are intended to support increased availability of Summer 41 and Fall Chinook for harvest during First Nations fisheries in August and September.

Despite the difficulties expected from these new fishery management measures, they are necessary to respond to the serious declines in these important Fraser River Chinook populations. The Department will be following up with First Nations, the Province of British Columbia, and stakeholders in the coming months to establish a process for addressing a broad range of issues impacting Chinook stocks. Establishing a process to have these important discussions will play a vital role in determining how best to steward this resource going forward and determining what options may exist to further address the social, cultural, and economic importance of these Chinook stocks. This will require everyone to work toward identifying mutually beneficial solutions and ensuring conservation objectives are met to provide for future opportunities.

Sockeye/Pink

Thank you for providing information with regards to the Sockeye escapement options supported by most participating First Nations and the information that a four-week window closure is also supported by most groups. The Department has also received letters from First Nations groups and organizations on the draft Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP), and some alternative recommendations that have been made. DFO will carefully review the recommendations received from First Nations and others, and a final decision on the 2019 Fraser River Sockeye escapement plan and length of window closure will be provided in the IFMP to be released in June.

Interior Fraser River Steelhead

I am sorry to hear that there was insufficient time to discuss Interior Fraser River (IFR) steelhead during your Tier 1 session; DFO has received recommendations via letters from First Nations on the draft southern BC Salmon IFMP. A final decision will be included in the final version of the IFMP, to be released in June.

Interior Fraser River Coho

Your recommendation on the 2019 objective for IFR coho has been forwarded for inclusion in recommendations to the 2019–20 IFMP. A final decision will be included in the final version of the IFMP, to be released in June.

UNDRIP/Reconciliation

It is my understanding that the purpose of the Forums was to discuss annual management issues for Fraser-bound salmon stocks. The discussion on reconciliation will be a much larger and ongoing discussion. This might be an appropriate topic to discuss at a future Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat (FRAFS) executive committee meeting. David Didluck, Regional Director, Reconciliation and Partnerships and I would welcome your advice on how and where to continue this conversation.

The Department acknowledges the strong commitment to conserving Fraser River salmon populations expressed by all First Nations. Thank you for your cooperation in protecting these important salmon stocks. The Department also appreciates the FRAFS’s ongoing involvement and input to DFO’s planning and advisory processes. Your input and advice on ways and means to improve engagement in these processes is very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Rebecca Reid Regional Director General Pacific Region

I think this has been pretty widely covered on this forum during the regs put in place earlier this year. Was there something specific in this note that is of interest? new?

I think this has been pretty widely covered on this forum during the regs put in place earlier this year. Was there something specific in this note that is of interest? new?

Yes while most of this is known because people had face to face meetings with people that revealed this information. However, hardly any of it was actually put into writing and distributed. This letter is hardly the message DFO was pushing in all there media berfeings.

For example area F tollers killing this much Summer 4-1 chinook was only a rumor

"This includes an extended closure of the commercial troll fishery in northern British Columbia, which is intended to support Fraser River FSC fisheries by passing through more of the abundant Summer 41 (South Thompson) Chinook that typically comprise 20 to 30 percent of troll harvests. "

According to the fisheries minister there were no gill net openings on the fraser in the spring yet we have in this letter:

" However, DFO is providing First Nations in the Fraser River with limited Fraser River Chinook directed fishing opportunities to harvest small numbers of Chinook for ceremonial purposes until July 15."

It most of the communication reductions were made for conservation purpose yet in this letter they say its to:

" These measures are intended to support increased availability of Summer 41 and Fall Chinook for harvest during First Nations fisheries in August and September."
"DFO is also planning measures to increase the abundance of Chinook reaching the Fraser River in August to support Fraser First Nations FSC fishing opportunities. "

My area did not even get one opening for salmon this year, Despite Summer 4-1 chinook having one of their best returns ever. Just FYI there is also a rumor out their that Fraser River First Nations harvested over 100k chinook this year. There is a huge discrepancy from what was caught in the Albion test fishery and what actually was counted on the spawning grounds. It was also confirmed that during their summer gillnet fishery some fishermen were getting 100-300 chinook in one drift.

I guess those would be good questions to ask DFO...what happened to 100,000 Chinook? There is no question as to the Department's intentions and plan to pass through Chinook for harvest. The RDG's letter clearly states that, and I suspect most in our sector knew that was taking place. Priority access.

I guess those would be good questions to ask DFO...what happened to 100,000 Chinook? There is no question as to the Department's intentions and plan to pass through Chinook for harvest. The RDG's letter clearly states that, and I suspect most in our sector knew that was taking place. Priority access.

I also heard this rumor but I have not had time to sit down and look at the numbers. The preliminary numbers say less fraser river 4-1 chinook spawned in 2019 then 2015. This is at odds with everyone I have talked to that described our August fishing as maybe the best they have ever experienced. I believe it is also at odds with the Albion Test fishery (August 15 to sept 15) 2015 -
549 2019- 963 Chinook Caught over this same period.
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=242.

How is it that the Albion Test fishery catches twice as many chinook in 2019 as 2015 but in 2019 less made it to the spawning grounds. As Wolf would say there is some VooDoo DFO math going on

Spawner abundance is estimated using a number of methods • mark-recapture studies – Nicola, Harrison, Lower Shuswap, Chilko • electronic counters – Bonaparte and Deadman • fence counts at Salmon River (Salmon Arm) • remaining assessments are through visual surveys (aerial, foot or float) •Enumeration of 2019 Chinook escapement is still ongoing; only preliminary estimates are available at this time
upload_2019-12-13_20-52-15.png
upload_2019-12-13_21-11-41.png

Last edited:
Yes, totally at odds and a very significant and respectful question. DFO has a duty to manage in a way that ensures conservation objectives are fully met. This is NOT a case of poor abundance, quite the opposite. So if the actual in-river spawning recruitment is below conservation levels, serious questions need be asked.

IMO, it is time for gill nets to be removed from the river and only selective harvest that is accountable and well managed otherwise no matter what anyone does, these fish will somehow vanish into thin air. That is not in anyone's interest.

I need to sit down at look at a few other sources whonnack sockeye gillnets and area 20 gilnet ect and compare to 2015 over the 4-1 runtime. Then submit this question to dfo but the leg work for this bs takes time.

Sit down and go over all the numbers you want.
The Chinook return that made it to the Thompson was mediocre at best this year. The fish that made it back were shitkicked from the lower Fraser netting. Most ofnthe fish that did end up making it back were small. I believe that the rumour of a 100k taken in the lower Fraser in August and September to be true. The biomass of fish that were at the mouth of the Fraser never made it to the Thompson. Netted to oblivion for $$.

Weird how we have one of the best returns to the mouth of the Fraser for 4-1 Chinook when they dont get hammered on by the commercial fleet.

Sit down and go over all the numbers you want.
The Chinook return that made it to the Thompson was mediocre at best this year. The fish that made it back were shitkicked from the lower Fraser netting. Most ofnthe fish that did end up making it back were small. I believe that the rumour of a 100k taken in the lower Fraser in August and September to be true. The biomass of fish that were at the mouth of the Fraser never made it to the Thompson. Netted to oblivion for $$.

Weird how we have one of the best returns to the mouth of the Fraser for 4-1 Chinook when they dont get hammered on by the commercial fleet.

Good point I won’t waste my time with it

The biologists concerns in regards to the genocidal netting on the Fraser are not being heard or taken serious by the regional managers. The regional managers have ZERO clue what is actually going in their regions. There heads are in the sand hoping things get better. The collapse that we have seen on the Fraser the last decade is on par with depletion of rhinos and elephants.

I am hoping the Thompson FN will be raising their concerns and anger with DFO in regard to the netting on the lower Fraser as once again they got screwed. These FN use traditional and selective methods on the Thompson FYI and only a small few net.

From the post,

Now, back to that IFMP statement about the necessity for a complete, accurate and verifiable fishery monitoring and catch reporting program. In following up on that statement with RDG Reid this past September I was referred to one of her distant subordinates who chose not to put anything in writing but, instead, phoned me. I made careful notes on our conversation. Among the important items was disclosure that there were 70 FN members engaged in monitoring all fish landings at designated landing sites as well as on the fishing grounds. Data were reportedly entered daily and included all fish of all species, whether harvested or released. Those remarks were recorded on Sept 23. Expecting some numbers back but hearing nothing I contacted the DFO man again on Nov 12, reiterating my expectation that catch data was readily available. On Nov 20 I received a reply:

Estimates of released catch have also been developed but are not typically posted to our website. Our staff are currently reviewing the estimates from this season to conduct their regular error checking process and will have updated estimates within the next couple of weeks and would ensure that you have the best information available.

Once again, I was referred to the same presently dysfunctional DFO web site (above) which I had pointed out in previous exchanges with this same person was completely unacceptable. No further information has arrived. Considering there were 70 monitors employed and they all submitted daily records to a central data system under a program now weeks in the rear view mirror, one can only ask, what’s the problem?. Even more interesting was the news from elsewhere earlier this week that the contractor responsible for monitoring about 60% of the lower Fraser Food, Social and Ceremonial fisheries and 100% of the Economic Development fisheries is none other than Grand Chief Ken Malloway, Chairperson Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat. Dear RDG Reid, how do you pass the red face test on that?!

Didn't really help answer my questions. Looking for specific data to assess the number of fish entering the river recorded and estimated at Albion, and what showed up on the spawning grounds. That should tell us how many were removed into thin air between Albion and their home rivers.

OBD I'm just trying to ask a simple question that helps get the right data to determine if the rumours we are hearing are myth or fact, not trying to be smart here. That "post" is a rant about a lack of data availability when he wants it, not facts. There is a pre-season webex coming up in January where perhaps (hopefully) that data is available. Those are the sorts of facts I'm looking for...and perhaps they are available today, I just can't find them and was hoping someone on the forum whom is more internet savvy than I might have a source. Can only assume the science folks are still compiling the facts.

Well if you as a member of the Main Board of the SFAB cannot get the data from DFO by requesting it, then there is a big problem .
There is no reason they should not supply this information when requested by the Board of the SFAB.

As to a rant that is directed about a letter from the RDG of DFO and how they were treated, well that is a sad fact and should not be.

You might ask for the information on the WebEx as then we could all understand where the 100,000 Chinook went.

OBD I'm just trying to ask a simple question that helps get the right data to determine if the rumours we are hearing are myth or fact, not trying to be smart here. That "post" is a rant about a lack of data availability when he wants it, not facts. There is a pre-season webex coming up in January where perhaps (hopefully) that data is available. Those are the sorts of facts I'm looking for...and perhaps they are available today, I just can't find them and was hoping someone on the forum whom is more internet savvy than I might have a source. Can only assume the science folks are still compiling the facts.

Maybe because its just not publicly available yet...or maybe because I might missed it...and doing rants isn't going to get any answers, and yes asking questions is always a good start.

South Thompson Chinook are below the slide.
Understood, it was a facetious statement, follows the same lines as no salmon retention for SRKW while they were 1000 miles away, noise from kickers irritates animals while ships and whale watchers are silent, holding a meeting with fooled rec fishers when the plan has already been set, ministers making TV statements as to NO fishing when his own dept has openings listed for a few, killing small town tourism and not allowed clipped US for more Fraser salmon. Or even pics I have of dead cow and calf caribou in the back of Argos, after returning from the park from a traditional hunt. Want me to go on, its not made up??? Its all a lie just like increased salmon, better habitat and conservation.

But that's only my point of view.

HM

Back